Decathlon 2022 Preparation

Totally get it and I’m with you - the above timeline was intended to give us a month at least to learn the next selection. TtA will be running until at least the end of October and then Castles of Burgundy is next. After that will be game 9 (to be voted on.) If we finish a game in less than a month I’m more than happy to allow some extra time for learning the next one.

2 Likes

How badly would it screw things up if someone chooses not to play a particular game? While I’d probably just bite the bullet if it came to it, there’s a game or two on there I don’t own and don’t really want to buy just to play in the Decathlon. $10 is a little steep for something I’m confident I wouldn’t like.

I’ll obviously vote against those games and hope for the best, but I wanted to ask the question.

Let’s cross that bridge when we get there, but unless we have multiples of 3 people who want to sit out - or the game is 1v1 anyway - sitting out a round will be tricky to manage and maintain the “validity” of the rankings.

1 Like

Re: Ticket to Ride - as I recall it has always been a nightmare to get started because everyone has to be online at the same time. Let me know if that has changed.

Looking to see what else is new out there, I notice that Race for the Galaxy and Tokaido are in the Top 25 Paid on the App Store, and Jaipur (supposedly has 1v1 online but not sure if it’s async) is #26

Another sleeper I seem to have missed is that Axis & Allies was apparently released about a year ago and has async play.

Happy to hear if anyone has any feedback/info on any of these…

Unless they’ve added it, Tokaido is not asynchronous. Jaipur isn’t either.

Axis & Allies is an absolute mess. It was so bad that they literally pulled it from the App Store for half a year and their solution when they re-released it was to lower all the graphic quality. I’ve played some asynchronous games with friends and would hesitate to recommend it for the decathlon, sadly.

You mention Race, but what about Roll For The Galaxy?

1 Like

Confirmed Tokaido is at least a synchronous start and you can only create “public” games. :roll_eyes:

that’s no problem any longer. Bots take over. we checked it out.
rigid 24h timer is no more. many timer options now :+1:
but still no private games nor password protection.
i think that’s the problem.

2 Likes

Side note: is there a Google Sheet or SP forum thread that is tracking the current status of iOS async board game adaptations? If there isn’t, we should create one (I’m happy to do it but didn’t want to start something if it already exists…)

There’s one on BGG but I haven’t logged on there in forever

1 Like

Ok, it’s been quiet here for a few days… I’ve set up an “election” to choose one game from the running list as our 9th game.

This is a “full” vote with cascading choices, so you are encouraged to rank all the choices in order to ensure a valid result. If the race is too close to call after going to the 5th choice, I’ll do a run-off vote.

I will check the results in roughly a week and see if a run-off is necessary.

We can update the list and do another vote in a month or so to pick the last game in the tournament.

Results can be seen here:

@Schlotzky
@Baelnor
@feederofgoats
@kennfusion
@JMH.75
@JaneHatke
@irishdomer08
@doublebullout
@SpiceTheCat
@Hardco
@HostileApostle
@jason1002
@whovian223
@Notsew12345
@Mirefox
@geigerm
@JHTaube
@Caradog
@js619
@johnl

1 Like

Voted!

1 Like

Voted!

1 Like

Voted. Also, cool site.

1 Like

Yeah I quite like this way of gauging interest. Not a big fan of this system for political elections but let’s not talk about that… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

lol, we have rank choice voting here in NYC and I am a big fan…but let’s not talk about that… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I like the system but, like most other things, the lack of understanding and communication / explanation leads to unexpected outcomes.

Primarily, in this case, the tendency for people not to rank all the choices - thereby (likely unintentionally) affecting the results and greatly increasing the chance of a “fringe” candidate being elected. (the “Exhausted votes” problem.)

To be clear, and especially as a fan of games and game theory and systems, I like rank voting better than most voting systems. :wink:

Oh wait. We said we weren’t going to talk about it… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I like it for elections to single posts - eg a mayor - but not for parliamentary elections as it doesn’t give proportionality. This is the direct reverse of current UK Tory thinking so must be correct.

Anyway, carry on voting everyone. :blush:

1 Like

Voted!

1 Like

Voted!

1 Like