Decathlon 2022 Preparation

Among the Stars is a hot train wreck of a mp mess. Buggy af, locked turns, wrong vp calculations, and no dev support at all

What about Lanterns? Have we played that before? The mp was solid iirc

1 Like

@js619 - I had remembered Lanterns too. What’s your Dire Wolf username? I’ll send you an invite! :slight_smile:

1 Like

JS619+8229 and yes it’s a complete damn sentence

1 Like

Invite sent!

1 Like

So many games…. I am keen to play stuff I haven’t played in a while, or, don’t own. Gives me an excuse to buy :slight_smile:

Gaia Project
8 minute empire
Root
Roll for the galaxy
Pandemic? Can you do a all win / all lose together game?
Charterstone campaign that runs in parallel for the whole 12 months?
Twilight Struggle

@Codington in addition to the votes for categories, can we have an additional vote where we give negative votes for 1 game, so I can downvote Twilight Struggle? :laughing:

5 Likes

Concordia?

2 Likes

Yep, Concordia is on the list already… can anyone confirm it works async and isn’t full of bugs? :stuck_out_tongue:

Async is awesome in Concordia.

And they just added the Byzantium and Hispana maps (free for those who already have the Season Pass, so not sure what the individual prices are).

1 Like

Seconded. Works flawlessly as far as I’ve seen.

1 Like

I’m not as experienced with many of these games as everyone else, so I’m content to play along with most anything. But I really enjoyed playing Shards of Infinity a few years back. Anyone else? Does it still work, is it fundamentally flawed in gameplay, etc?

The last time I played I did not receive notifications but everything else worked. The biggest problem with Shards is that it grows stale after a while and it doesn’t look like we are going to get expansions. I never see a reason to start up Shards when I have Ascension.

Of course, that’s a problem for repeated plays and doesn’t really impact a tournament one-off.

2 Likes

My only problem with your proposal is restricting the number of downvotes to only one game, since I’ve already seen a few games proposed that I don’t want to reinstall on any device. :unamused:

3 Likes

Ok, I’ll brace myself for some debate here, but here’s a first pass on 9 events (I’ll worry about making it 10 events later… :stuck_out_tongue: ) that seem to give a “reasonable” distribution of the games - by no means perfect, but it’s a start…

I’m sure I can count on many of you to provide feedback… :wink:

Area Control Heavy Weight Worker Placement Puzzle Player Actions Set Collection Network Building Fighting Tile Placement
Fort Sumter Through the Ages Viticulture Indian Summer Puerto Rico Gem Rush Ticket to Ride Evolution Castles of Burgundy
8 Minute Empire Gaia Project Raiders of the North Sea Patchwork Race for the Galaxy Lanterns Railroad Ink Disc Drivin’ 2 Terraforming Mars
Neuroshima Hex Root Lords of Waterdeep Tsuro Roll for the Galaxy Potion Explosion Brass Star Realms Isle of Skye
Yellow & Yangtze Twilight Struggle Istanbul Sagrada Wingspan Dragon Castle Steam: Rails to Riches Cthulhu Realms Galaxy Trucker
Small World Le Havre Concordia Shards
5 Likes

I should point out that these events guarantee us at least 2 new games next year, as several of the 2021 games fell into the same event…

My thinking on the 6 + 4 schedule is to get some general consensus on the events, vote on which events we want to start with, and then vote on games. This also gives us some flexibility to re-distribute the games that don’t make the first stage in the last stage, as well as adding in any new games that get released between now and then.

It has badge(s) now, in that it’ll give you a (1) no matter how many games you have to be played. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I also echo it getting stale.

1 Like

Lotta stuff here I own but haven’t played, so they’ll get a weighted vote from me! Root, Small World, 8m Empire, Concordia, RR Ink, Isle of Skye…

And put my negative vote down for Viticulture, I hate that game so hard.

I am not a huge fan of the decision to use categories, but I did see I am in the minority on the vote above. For the most part I have no huge problem with this (except that personally I don’t know which to vote for between Patchwork and Sagrada, both are favs of mine.)

I do think there is a big difference in how the vote will work when in the past we have always done things like Vote For 5 across a big list. This allows people to vote 9 times. This gives votes more weight in categories I think. And there are some games that I vehemently don’t want to play.

I know you don’t want to over-complicate it, but I do think with the category votes, everyone should get both an upvote and a downvote for each category.

But as far as the groupings though, I think they are solid.

Thanks, @kennfusion. Obviously I don’t want people to have to play a game they hate but also obviously if someone loves a game and another person hates it, there’s a high degree of subjectivity involved! (Viticulture has already been hated here and I love it, for example. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

As far as I know, Polls don’t allow downvotes, so probably best solution is to allow 2 or even 3 choices in each category (I’ll do some math on that when I have a chance) - that tends to produce a reasonable compromise in these situations.