Ascension: War of Shadows Tournament [Complete]

Done. I also recorded the score of the first @js619 vs @robthomasson match.

1 Like

Iā€™m into the finals after picking up key cards at just the right time from the magic PEZ dispenser against both @johnl and @rinelk.

Legion of Aklys, in particular, is pretty ridiculous. As Iā€™m sure Kelsey would agree.

Good games, everyone.

1 Like

You can say that two times. I was just playing along, minding my own business, then Iā€™m waking up in a bathtub full of ice with no kidneys.

4 Likes

@robthomasson and I just finished game 2ā€¦ I saw the notifications pop up that a game had ended and that Rob wanted to play a game - figured I had won, which I did 77-65. Exactly tied on VPs, 30-30!

@js619 took the second game in our semi-final so we need a third game and you have time to buff up your dispenser before one of us gets to you ā€¦

Game 3 handily went to @robthomasson, 96-54. I felt this one getting away midway through when he used the 4 card that allows you to defeat any monster when itā€™s day to take the 7 monster which then gives you two VPs for taking night cardsā€¦ seems a large percentage of games are won by that guy. Great game! Iā€™m off to maybe learn the names of the cards in this oneā€¦ maybe.

By the time I got that ā€œThat guyā€ (Legion of Aklys) I believe that I already had the advantage but he iced my bun (as it were) and could certainly have been a problem if he gone to @js619.

I still have no game plan for this expansion but clearly this game fell right for me.

Thanks to @js619 for a great series ā€¦ and onward to @TheDukester.

2 Likes

Oh, it is on like Centipede.

2 Likes

Invite sent to @rinelk for the Bronze matchā€¦

First round of the bronze match went to me, 82-74. I led VPs most of the game, but @rinelk built up a healthy supply of Mechana constructs and it stayed day for a few turns towards the end, leading to a closer game than I anticipated! Good game, onto round 2/3.

1 Like

First blood in the final to @TheDukester ā€¦ a clear win.

I did not notice a killer blow ā€¦ ā€œjustā€ good all round coverage. Secomd game underway ā€¦

@TheDukester has nabbed Vyrak, The First with 47 honor left in the pool, so he will play him at least twice and gain 20 honor. It could be over already ā€¦

ā€¦ and I almost missed it. I was so focused on which monster to kill.

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve gotten Vyrak in a competitive game.

Very well played match, @js619! I felt like the final score made the game look closer than it wasā€“I felt doomed for the whole second half of the game. A well-earned bronze for @js619!

I took the second round of the Bronze match, 115-102. Highest scores Iā€™ve seen yet in this game, and the first time the Mechana constructs worked for me - we both had decent constructs going, and Iā€™m honestly not sure what accounted for the 13 point difference. Might have been the construct that allowed me to always treat my turn as day - there were several turns where I was drawing ten plus cards.

This was the first game that I felt like I had a strategy and an engine going. Great game, @rinelk, and great tournament all around!

1 Like

Ehrmigerd! Vyrak, FTW. I got a result, as our British friends say, even though it wasnā€™t totally deserved.

I got past @robthomasson in both games of the finals. The magic PEZ dispenser loves me again.

Hereā€™s Game 2 ā€“ note that I got a cheap 10 points from Vyrak, Guy Who Lets Who Win ā€¦ and note the four-point difference.

Good games, Rob. And good tournament, everyone.

I should retire from competitive Ascension at this very moment.

2 Likes

Well played by @TheDukester ā€¦ a solid thumping in two well played games and a deserved tournament win.

Thanks to @geigerm for organising and to all involved.

PS: Champions cannot retire ā€¦

1 Like

Congrats to @TheDukester for the win, and thanks to all of you for playing!

I was completely serious starting about a DoC/WoS tourney next, as mentioned a few weeks ago. Want to wait for a bit, or should I post signups right away?

Iā€™m always game for more Ascension!

The sooner the better. :slight_smile:

Count me in! DoC is my favorite expansion, I thinkā€¦