3 Video Game Wishes

One of the 4 Divine Beasts, which means Ganon had more health in the first part of the final fight and he missed a chunk of story.

Speed runs are speed runs - it sounds like you don’t enjoy them at all. I’d suggest avoiding the glitched runs for past Zelda’s, especially OOT.

People would do it anyway, whether the game wanted them to or not - why put an artificial barrier in the way? If you don’t want to, don’t - I certainly didn’t. I put in 120ish hours into the game, didn’t beat it until I had the best ending, did 80% of the shrines and at least tried the add on content. Contrast that with a friend of mine who hit Ganon repeatedly throughout his play through to see how strong things were. He’s one of those speed runners, though he can only manage roughly 40 minutes.

i just liked the way in which all former 3-D Zeldas unfolded slowly and steadily.

The discussion reminds me about the rumors you could beat Diablo 1 in less than 30 min because you can access the endgame-dungeon right of the bat?

I always think thats a bad design choice. I know total freedom to explore your way and whatnot but…why craft a huge world with lots of stuff to do if you can bypass EVERYTHING?

Isn’t then a better idea to program a Hello world sequence with a “Press Enter to win the game” prompt a better design choice?

These kinds of statements always boggle my mind. Why is this such a problem to you? You are not forced to end the game as soon as possible. In fact, if you have no idea what’s waiting for you, it’s very unlikely you’ll even make it to the castle, let alone through the castle, with weapons to even fight Ganon with. Just because it’s an option that the game designers put into the game, you feel that it detracts from the game in some way?

To me, the older Zeldas are great for a single play through, and are not fun in subsequent plays. There is no real way to change the outcome of the game - you have to do the dungeons in order to get the correct items in or to get to the next temple. You can chose to grind out rupees, bombs or other things - even take a side trip to get some heart containers, but overall the structure of the game is the exact same and dull.

No. This statement detracts from the conversation and is useless in context. If you think that Diablo 1 or BotW are reduced to something like this because you have an option to skip things, then I’d say try it and see how easy it is. The games named aren’t Myst, where once you know the end puzzle you can skip the whole game with no consequences.

I don’t mind the BotW design decision for a couple reasons. First, I am not good at action games so it took all the hearts and stamina I could muster for me to beat the game. Second, just because someone can rush the boss does not mean there is progression if you choose. Each divine beast has its own region and own story arc. Third, if someone chooses to rush the boss, they are missing 99% of the game and that is their loss.

I do miss the dungeon progression in older Zelda games but that certainly didn’t ruin the game for me in any way.

As I seem to have increasingly less and less time for gaming other than on my commute / while wife is watching a show on TV my wishes end up being.

1. The Space Hulk: Death Angel card game playable on my phone (would never happen so I’ll say Imperial Settlers instead)

2. Metal Gear Ac!d playable on my phone (not emulated)

3. That aforementioned MicroProse MTG game (which I absolutely loved) playable on my phone.

3 Likes

Oh belive me - to each its own way of enjoyment. So no problem if others want to do this, more power to them. I for MYSELF cannot wrap my head around the concept that skipping everything = fun.

I am maybe too deeply entrenched in “the more to do - the better” and most of the times enjoy long games. I may have a above average tolerance level for BS busywork in games AND dislike specifically designed (too) challenging content. If skipping provides a really hard challenge in said games or others - well then I am even less inclined to try them.

For myself: busywork is tolerable - frustration because of repeated failures or being below needed skillcap however is not.

1 Like

I enjoyed watching the recent Games Done Quick (GDQ) charity stream, mainly to enjoy someone speeding through a game that is too hard for me, such as Cuphead. I absolutely love the classic cartoon art style of Cuphead, but I know that hard platformers and “bullet hell” games are outside my ability, I’m not their target audience that they designed the game for, for enjoyment and to entertain.

What I don’t understand is all the “glitch” speed runs. Especially when they run older versions of a game because it has the glitch before it was patched in a subsequent version. If I was on the panel to approve which games make the cut for the GDQ marathon stream, I’d grudgingly allow in Japanese versions where they allow skipping dialogue and cut scenes for improved time runs, but I’d not approve older versions just because they have an unpatched glitch.

As far as skipping / busywork, I appreciate the option to gain more power before confronting the boss, if my personal skill is not up to defeating the boss’ mechanics. This, however, only applies to premium games, where I give the benefit of the doubt that the developer has tried to make the best game they could, but that sometimes I’m not the target audience they are aiming to maximize enjoyment for. I’ve become increasingly skeptical of games with IAP that makes me question if I’m being trolled to spend money.

As I’ve grown older, I’ve grown to appreciate more the inclusion of difficulty settings, I now look for them when making decisions on which titles to invest time and money on. I absolutely love that the Switch games seem to be targeting me, older games updated for the Switch seem to now include difficulty options that were not in the originals … I bought Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap, which now not only has a great art style but also added difficulty settings that were not in the original Sega Master System version. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze adds a Funky Mode that “makes the game more accessible”, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe adds not only an “Easy” character choice, but also a “Very Easy” character option to the Switch version. :slight_smile:

At this point, I’ve probably posted ay more than 3 wishes, but older games keep coming to mind. I’d love Zoo Tycoon and Sid Meier’s Sim Golf on my phone.

1 Like

A Sim Golf port to iOS would be amazing!

Honestly, I would even be happy if it got updated and put on GOG. I have a bad feeling its hard to port or is burdened with rights issues since it was a joint Maxis/Firaxis game.

Slitherine didn’t reveal specific plans in the announcement, but McNeil tells me that we can expect something new in the near future, “like we did for Fantasy General”. A sequel seems very likely, then.
Master of Magic acquired by strategy publisher Slitherine, “Rescued from Atari’s IP dungeon.”

3 Likes

Yeah, I forgot to add on that wish that it needs to be on Mac. Slitherine is hit or miss on Mac release.

Necroposting™

I was using the search function and stumbled over this particular cough gem of mine from 5 years ago…made me chuckle…

I quite enjoy Warhammer 40.000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters released in May 2022 (exactly 2 years ago)!

It combines the best of the old tactical gameplay of old-school Chaos Gate with XCOM-like strategic out-of-battle gameplay with the usual 40k zaniness…

Needless to say, I quite enjoyed my 5th playthrough through the Trilogy in the Legendary Edition released in May 2021 (nearly 3 years ago), need to to at least one more run and I have completed all three games with each class at least once.

Well it seems to happen soon-ish™ if BIOWARE don’t go belly up after releasing Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, planned for this summer…May 4024?

Well Blackbird Interactive (who did the Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak game and helped on the HW1+2 remaster) is working on HW3, which releases on 13 May 2024 (only ten days left [handwringing.jpg] goes here).
Also Paul Ruskay who did the OST for all Homeworld games to date is also returning for HW3!

Conclusion:
1: I should have wished for more…way more!
04d0209549d3eab080b84158bd1ee8af_w400

How about a Guild Wars 3? A Remaster of the Xenogears and the 3 Xenosaga games? How about a Warhammer 40.000 Battlefleet Gothic 3 or a Warhammer 40.000 Chaos Gate 3? XCOM 3? New Front Mission games? A Final Fantasy Tactics remaster and NEW FFT games…new Advance Wars games?

2: May seems to be my lucky month

Sooo what to expect for my 44th birthday in about 2 weeks? Maybe I should play the lottery for once…

Still pending…1499329076_Prinny

3 Likes

Guild Wars 3 is in development. Keep up the wishes, you’re doing great!

2 Likes

I can’t wish for a new FFT. It’s my favorite game of all time and that’s precisely why I cannot trust modern Square to do it right. Fell Seal was the closest thing to a sequel it will ever get, I think.

My wishes would be Phantom Dust 2, KotOR 3 (but, like, for real) and for Chrono Trigger to get either remastered or at least ported to the Switch.

2 Likes

I think one of my wishes is rather simple. Xenogears. That’s it. It doesn’t even need to be a remaster. Give it to me on iOS and we’re good, SE…

do you know Suikoden Tactics? an a m a z i n g game following in the FFT tracks but with many own ideas.

The Most Overlooked Tactical RPG?

2 Likes

I have heard about it, but as I understand it, it’s not really available on any platform nowadays.

Nope. It’s mind of like Jeanne D’Arc in that way; dead game, dead console.

2 Likes

glad that i own it as DVD (and an intact PS2), so i can play it again.
different endings.