3 Video Game Wishes

Your comment resonates with me at the moment, since I’ve decided that I want to make a determination this Winter on which FFG “Arkham Horror Files” games to actually bring to the table, and possibly acquire expansion content for. I’m thinking that I’d like to become more selective with my time and money budgets and avoid investing them in the tolerable ones, but hopefully identify some that I’m more enthusiastic about.

As for the “3 video game wishes from a video game genie”:

1. An update to the turn-based tactical Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, with all the Space Marine chapters represented. I did pick up Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach, and Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus during the recent Steam Winter Sale, but since @Private_Prinny did not equate them to the excellent Chaos Gate, there may still be room for an updated Chaos Gate. Especially if we get all the Space Marine chapters.

2. Remastered Diablo II, as Blizzard has done with StarCraft: Remastered, and their upcoming Warcraft III: Reforged. This one should be easy, unless Blizzard management fears it will compete with future monetization plans they have for the Diablo franchise.

3. A good video game implementation of Usagi Yojimbo. Something that incorporates the excellent story and graphics of Stan Sakai, more RPG and turn-based oriented than the previous “side-scrolling hack-and-slash action games”.

I do like the Master of Magic one of @kennfusion, I also love the “Pause”, I’m 100% onboard with @rinelk on that one, too! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I know I am already scheduled to burn in hell for this (a friend routinely condemns me for this opinion) but to provide a counterpoint - I LOVE H:ZD and HATE BotW - no really REALLY hate it.
I don’t have a switch yet but I played it for a couple of hours on a friends Wii U and then afterward on his Switch (his 2328th attempt at trying to evangelize me yet again to return to the flock of Zelda-worshippers)

Maybe I should give BotW a more fair chance but…I hate them modern Zelda games. I liked the SNES and GBA (GBC) variants well enough but when Zelda went 3D I turned my back to the franchise and never looked back. I know it has to be the franchise which lets me hate BotW with such a passion.
As I am patient with the newer Assassin Creed installments and its shenanigans (I am only up to AC:Syndicate so I still have to experience Origins and Odyssey) was one of the only 3 people worldwide to finish Mad Max (the open world game) am being totally enchanted with H:ZD as well as Witcher 3, cried buckets full of manly tears during Nier:Automata and replayed the Yakuza series a thousand times already - so my tolerance level to OW games is generally high.

Ahem, you might wanna try Mechanicus, at least for the first tutorial mission. Nothing beats Chaos Gate (exept maybe a remaster or a CG 2.0 (never ever gonna happen)). I am currently holding off on it because a balance pass was promised and I don’t like my tactical games TOO easy (I am a Fire Emblem nut after all) but your mileage may vary on that matter.

On topic:

1:
I want a complete Remake (not a remaster) of the Mass Effect Trilogy - with all DLCs and stuff rolled into one complete package.

2:
I want new games in the Mass Effect Universe. No salvage attempt on Mass Effect Andromeda (as sad as it is - that ship has already sailed) a NEW triology.

3:
I want Relic and Gearbox make (at least) a Trilogy of games based in the Homeworld franchise again. And with the same team which did the Soundtrack of the original games.

Bonus:
I want Michael McCann to play his complete music-libary on my funeral (Composer of the OST of XCOM:EU, XCOM:EW, Deus Ex: HR and Deus Ex:MD)

1 Like

So much these two.

If they could pull off a mobile premium-priced mobile version of this I would be throwing my credit at the screen. I only ever finished 1 and 2, and I worry I will never get to 3 with any save game carry-over.

edit: typo

There is again a comic pick-a-choice at the start of ME3 (like back in ME1) to have some huge choices of previous games emulated in a non-carry-over ME3 but I have to admit this is only a stopgap feature.

Despite of all the bad press ME3 got its the best ME of the triology at least for me. Upgrading stuff from ME1 is back and the combat of ME2 was improved on. Also the story is more in line with ME1 not the Merry go round Road Trip that ME2 was.

Also the Citadel DLC…best DLC in mankind’s history…the feels…the laughs…

1 Like
  1. A true, actual sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics. None of this Advance bastardization. If it follows up with Ramza that’s great, if it timejumps like KotOR that’s fine too. But something with depth of story and gameplay akin to the original. I try and try but there is no substitute, so I just play it over and over. It’d be cool to play a sequel instead of gearing up for a 23rd playthrough.

2. Forget Mass Effect. I want either Jade Empire 2 or KotOR 3. I know post-buyout BioWare could not do it justice, but these are wishes, no sense worrying about if they are realistic.

3. I want Valve to make games again. They were so, so good at it. Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal, Left 4 Dead…so many amazing IPs withering in the vine because they found some leet hax to basically print money through Steam.

5 Likes

Your #1 couldn’t be more spot on!

3 Likes

lol @ the resurrection of my post from 2 years ago. I guess the topic needed to age like cheese to make it sharp!

And 2 years later, I have the same 3 wishes.

4 Likes

@Private_Prinny, I’m glad we have diversity of opinions and experiences here! That you couldn’t stomach BotW takes nothing from my affection for it.

2 Likes

I wish for mobile versions of PC strategy games. Just off the top of my head, Homeworld, Sins of a Solar Empire, Europa Universalis, Age of Wonders 2/3, Crusader Kings, Rise of Nations, etc., etc. I’ve got Civilization and Total War on my iPad, why not more? I could probably go through the “strategy” section on GOG and pick out 100 games that should be on my tablet and/or Switch.

5 Likes

Agreed completely. These would be ideal for a mobile port.

Um, why haven’t you done this? : ) Priorities, man!

Honestly, I’d like someone with more knowledge than me to list older GOG and/or Steam games that should be played/owned by like-minded Stately people. There are so many games on both sites at this point that there are undoubtedly lots I’ve missed.

2 Likes

Hmm…this is a good idea. I will look into this.

That said, even without looking, I want every Impressions city-builder on my iPad and I want it yesterday.

4 Likes

Persona 5 on Switch

I believe it is happening. We only know “Persona 5 R” is coming and it is likely to come to Switch, especially since Joker is coming to Smash Bros. No promises yet, but there is reason to hope.

1 Like

i loved all Zelda games since Ocarina of Time (esp Wind Waker) but there is one thing about BotW which totally irritates me.
how can it be that joypad wizards can beat the game in 30-40 minutes?
with the wooden sword in hand and virtually no other equipment.

my son grabbed the master sword and walked straight to the final boss to beat him. he had played for only 2 hours and had not visited a single temple/shrine.
this must be a fatal design flop, or?
in all Zeldas before something like this was simply impossible, and that was a good thing.
i asked him if he would go on playing and exploring?
“yes, i think so, but i don’t feel the same tension now. it’s gone.”

i’m honestly shocked about this. what a fail!

He had to have visited more than a few shrines to get the Master Sword. There’s a hard gate on it (last I checked).

The game was designed around the fact that once you are done in the Great Plateau, you can go challenge Ganon immediately, no need fro side quests or anything else. It’s not recommended - the weapon breakage alone would be such a pain in the rear, but you can. And if you’re good enough at combat, you’ll win. The hardest part would be getting through the first boss phase - after that, no weapons to worry about.

i will have to ask him for details.
but i must say that i totally loathe the basic design decision.

in all former Zeldas it generated such a great feeling of steady progression to wander from temple to temple and having to solve all the puzzles to qualify to enter the final stages.

To me I’d rather have the option, especially with how easy it is to sequence break older Zelda games. I also enjoyed the lesser amount of linearity.

I dislike open world games in the whole, especially the latest crop of WRPG’s with all the handholding, 50000000 markers on a map for garbage side crap and yet, despite my skepticism, BotW really won me over.

Is it a good game? Yeah, I don’t think that’s really a question to a lot of people considering how loved it is.

Is it a Zelda game? I think that’s heavily debatable (and debated all the time). If it wasn’t branded as a Zelda game, do you think you would have liked it more @JammaTal?

ok, i had not listened closely enough.
Arne says he had to visit about 40 mini-temples to get at least 13 heart containers to be able to survive extracting the master sword, but did not visit one of the main shrines (fire, earth, wind and air). he had to play about 4-5 hours for that, not 2.
the speedrun freak record on the web is about 30 minutes (without the master sword). not recommended for “normal” players :roll_eyes:

i have not played BotW yet. so i can’t tell if i will like it or not.
but the basic design decisions of “just do what you like” and “fight the boss when you want” definitely bewilder me.

One of the 4 Divine Beasts, which means Ganon had more health in the first part of the final fight and he missed a chunk of story.

Speed runs are speed runs - it sounds like you don’t enjoy them at all. I’d suggest avoiding the glitched runs for past Zelda’s, especially OOT.

People would do it anyway, whether the game wanted them to or not - why put an artificial barrier in the way? If you don’t want to, don’t - I certainly didn’t. I put in 120ish hours into the game, didn’t beat it until I had the best ending, did 80% of the shrines and at least tried the add on content. Contrast that with a friend of mine who hit Ganon repeatedly throughout his play through to see how strong things were. He’s one of those speed runners, though he can only manage roughly 40 minutes.

i just liked the way in which all former 3-D Zeldas unfolded slowly and steadily.