2020 Star Realms Frontiers Tournament thread

Great games @Private_Prinny (Dai)!

I don’t have the score for the first game where I was crushed, but the last two were:
18 to -19
50 to -18

Sent a challenge to @Johnl.

Didn’t get the invite (username: jlongo). I’ll send one.

The first one was -7 to 10.

GG, but the last one was painful…never got a decent deck running in that one.

Great games @johnl
You had an amazing last turn, but I just barely had enough to do you in.

KYakerDude over JohnL
8 to -3
-13 to 22
7 to -1

1 Like

Great Games @johnl! :slight_smile:

PP over @johnl
31 to -7
-6 to 20
45 to 0

Update time!

For some reason, challonge doesn’t display Set scores unless you hover over them. I think I remember that that was possible a long time ago…what’s the point of not having them show up by default?

Me? In a final?

1 Like

Me over @KYakerDude
1: 18 to -7
2: …a horrible loss I immediately wiped all traces from my brain (unfortunately Star Realms did that too)
3: 17 to 0

GG @KYakerDude, sorry about not taking a screenshot of game 2. I hate SR’s log function.

Since it is your first LOSS in the final rounds, want to proceed to round 5? See above?

cough I secretly plan to lose that round, since it cannot be that A: I win a tournament (ever) and B: win my OWN tournament cough :woozy_face:

@Private_Prinny Congratulations!

You won fair and square (even if it was my first loss :slight_smile: ). Really great games.

I’ll be happy to play you again, but not for the tournament title, just for fun.

Thanks so much for organizing and running this tournament. I wouldn’t have played any more Star Realms nor bought the Frontiers expansion without you.

Alright, friendly matches it is then!

To all other participants:

Well fought, thanks for participating and I hope you all had fun! :sweat_smile:

Please feel free to direct any harsh critique my way, I believe the general consensus was that it wasn’t one of my better(?) tournaments?

As I believe to feel the itch to do other Star Realms (Ascension / Lord of the Waterdeep) tournaments soon any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also, can someone please briefly summarize the SR situation in the Decathlon? I didn’t keep up with it (most game there I don’t own/ don’t want to play), so I have no idea how the time scale there is - so doing SR aside the Decathlon would be confusing, right?

1 Like

The Star Realms leg of the decathalon is complete. I’m up for another SR tourney whenever!

i was a bit confused about the end of the tourney.
why making it double-elim when not applying the double-elim rule for the final?
Challonge would have enforced it :blush:
ok, so in fact @KYakerDude forfeited instead of going on with the final.
have never seen someone forfeiting a final before :thinking:
but you have pointed it out to him and he seemed happy with it :hushed:
so what? just confusing.
but happiness is definitely more important than fighting it out :+1:

and who could resist to join a happy party?
so i’m ready to purchase Frontiers for being part of the next happening.

1 Like

I thought it WAS the final. That’s what the tournament bracket showed.

I’m all about playing and having fun. If I win, great, if I lose, that is all part of playing.

no, it wasn’t the final.
it was your first loss in a double-elim, so you would have gone to position L4 for playing the real final vs Dai.

i have organized some double-elim tourneys before and can confirm that this stuff is a bit complicated.

Prinny had linked to the bracket he had posted some time ago.
position L4 would have been your well deserved entry to the final final.

i guess the mixture of single-elim and double-elim in this tourney made things even more complicated.

and Prinny had said:

but showed challonge screens later on which didn’t clearly emphasize the double-elim path.
so it could happen that a finalist mistook the semifinal for the final.
and btw it would have been the final final if @KYakerDude had won, because it would have been Prinny’s second loss.

typical double-elim palim palum :upside_down_face:

Err…I went with the Single Elimination First Stage / Double elimination Second Stage because of the sub-optimal amount of participants.

With 16 (or 8) participants we would have had a clean single elimination tournament all the way up to the finals. With 12 I was in a bind. Too few for a group stage (I thought), too many for handing out byes in a single elim tournament and still being called fair…
So I did my first ever double-elim “final” just so to have a balanced(?) overall tournament.

As said, I wasn’t trying to be a pain just for the heck of it, just being unfortunately not experienced enough to forsee the woes of the cobbled together version we had now.

That was because I couldn’t seem to get the Match 5 (with L4) show up in challonge. :sweat:
AND combining that properly with the first (single elim) part of the tournament