1775: Rebellion. Shall we defy Hexwar and try multiplayer?

Just came to tell you that - great post before, but it appears as if it’s still your turn?

And now it looks like I Liked the fact that the game screwed up…

Thank you :slight_smile: might resurrect the post with alterations depending on the first turn…

Ok, so my deployments appear to have gone off successfully, and it’s reshuffled the turn order. I’d go back and check but my move in another game appears to have hung at the sending turn screen. :angry:

Edit: yep, the game is now showing as your turn. I suspect General Howe’s contentment will be confined to an alternate timeline now.

Further edit: in my other game, the turn submission has now failed for the second time. Marvellous…

Further further edit: finally stomped the hapless colonists 8:3 in my other game. That’s one rebellious province duly quashed. The truce cards played are visible next to the colony score, albeit very discreetly.

1 Like

My forces, yearning to be free of @SpiceTheCat and his overseas tyranny, secured the colony of North Carolina, with one of the loyalists fleeing like the cowards they are and the other falling to my superior marksmanship. I also recruited some friendly natives in Georgia (I think)… Used a two army land movement card. Fingers crossed the turn goes through lol

1 Like

The ever-smouldering flame of rebellion has flickered into life again. George III is not pleased. The vexed monarch shouts at Lord North, Lord North shouts at Lord George Germain, Whigs shout at Tories, someone shouts at the Army and in due course General Howe, slightly deafened, embarks for a spot of peacekeeping.

Howe can read a map as well as anyone in the British Army and notes that @js619 is massing his rebels in the southern states. Well, let them be. Howe decides to apply vigorous calming measures to the source of the revolt without waiting for the promised reinforcements. Everyone lands in Boston. This is not subtle, but as the Army’s principal tactic is standing in a long line on the battlefield in bright red coats, the military doctrine of “Come and Have a Go if You Think You’re Hard Enough”, subtlety is not bred in the bone. It has worked well enough on miscellaneous natives, rebellious Scotsmen and truculent foreigners since the whole empire business got started, so why change now. The force, led by local loyalists and braced for a fight, moves into Rhode Island.

The upstart colonists are hard enough, it turns out.

The remnants of the Army retire to Boston to go to the pub. Embarrassingly, it turns out that the Loyalists - splendid chaps, hearts in the right place, of course, but not really born to the sword - have retaken Maine on their own initiative.

Irked, the Army salves a bit of pride by clearing New Hampshire. The victory is doubly welcome as two-thirds of the attacking forces had been left behind by accident.

General Howe retires to his tent with a slim volume of Homer, comforted by the knowledge that when anyone reads his report, it will be 6 weeks and 3,000 miles away and the shouting will be inaudible.

Well, that went less well in this timeline [hastily rewrites history]. The RI defenders rolling 3 hits straight off the bat was not a good start :slight_smile: Fat-fingering the Maine army so that I attacked into NH with the intended garrison was aggravating. Eh, historically accurate command skills.

1 Like

You’re not kidding about those loyalists. While the Continental army was out rabble rousing, they were practicing with their muskets. They fought me to a bloody standstill in Savannah, Norfolk, and the backwoods of South Carolina… I did manage to recruit some friendly natives, though.

The militia faired better, thanks to Paul Revere and his two reinforcements. They took South Carolina and Norfolk pretty easily, making it 4-5 in favor of the wig wearing crown.

A third turn in a row was the icing on the cake, plus six French reinforcements into RI thanks to an event card. The Army held their own this time, chastened by the behavior of the militias. Savannah fell, as did southern New York. Most importantly, in a bloody battle, the forces of good and freedom liberated Boston and dumped the tea into the harbor.

1 Like

General Howe rather liked the French. They had put up a jolly good fight in the Plains of Abraham, and he had been sorely tempted by the governorship of Belle Île. He was rather disappointed to see them appear en masse in Boston, quite apart from the waste of perfectly good tea.

Conscious of the frankly surprising success of the wretched colonials, Howe erred on the side of caution. Gathering up various Loyalists from the woods and hills where they had retreated, those parts of Massachusetts not occupied by Frenchmen were reclaimed for the Crown. A Continental army was also chased out of Maryland for good measure. The control of the colonies remained uncomfortably poised.

Yep, that was a cautious turn, given the runaway success of the rebels. The only bright spot was having 9 loyalists to deploy :yum:

The Continental Army is back to it’s less than stellar ways… An attack from Southern NY with a combined arms force of Army, Patriots, and Natives barely eked out a victory in Northern NY / Fort Ticonderoga, with the patriot and natives falling immediately. Thankfully, one loyalist ran home with his tail between his legs, leaving the last to be mopped up by the remaining Army division.

I fared much worse in western Massachusetts, despite entering the battle with superior numbers. The crown hit on 4 out of the first five dice, leaving my force somewhat depleted and the morale of the dice too low to roll anything other than command decisions. Choosing to strategically advance to the rear, I pulled most of the force back into Connecticut, where they admired the foliage and ate fancy cookies. The lone remaining division managed to pick off one of the defending British, but fell to the superior odds in the end.

__

Blech. tl;dr, apparently, the dice hate me, even two hundred some odd years ago.

1 Like

Pausing only to pin medals on the defenders of western Massachusetts, Howe hurries to Halifax to greet the arriving Hessians. Their stirring regimental cry of “Hut! Dich! Bezahl im Voraus” carries on the cold wind. Howe jokes about giving them the sack but fortunately this attempt at levity does not translate. After an embarrassed pause, everyone gets on a boat for Rhode Island.

In the ensuing battle, the Loyalist militia run away and, purely by chance, Howe stations the Hessians in the line where the enemy fire is hottest. Fortunes of war, and all that. Rhode Island rejoices at the arrival of free-spending visitors again.

Your dice might be kinder, as that was a solid defence by the colonials there. They might have lost but a huge invasion force has become a very modest garrison. :expressionless:

Edit: I really like 1775, it turns out. No thanks to Hexwar, but it’s fun playing @js619 and of 5 games against randoms, only 1 is dead- there is some MP life out there. It’s a great shame it’s only 1v1. Anyway, we should get @Neumannium in here to show us how it’s done :wink:

The Patriots reinforced several positions in the south, and recruited additional natives with the promise of freedom ad democracy (er…)

I also poured several troops and reinforcements into Connecticut, with an attack to attempt to reclaim Rhose Island. Strong emphasis on attempt, as it turns out the dice are still mad at me. I whittled down the defenders, with losses and cries of “Runaway, runaway!” loudly heard on both sides. In the end, RI remained in the tyrannical grasp of… tyranny.

Tyranny is such a perjorative term. Let’s say “firm and authoritative government”.

Setting out from Delaware, government is firmly and authoritatively extended to Maryland, after discussion with one or two malcontents. The forces of firmness and authority also visit Virginia. For a chat.

The motto of the Patriot militia appears to be “shoot two and run away”. Good tactics in the circumstances.

They’re really letting me down lately… [quote=“SpiceTheCat, post:30, topic:492”]

Tyranny is such a perjorative term. Let’s say “firm and authoritative government”.
[/quote]

I’m owed a keyboard after reading that, as I spit coffee out laughing…

__

Warships from the Continental Navy made their appearance, docking in Georgia and one of the Carolinas. Although limited in berthing, they were able to transport 5 patriots and an army unit to the lightly defended Delaware, winning a bloodless battle in the second round. The loyalist turned and fled, as expected, as did a patriot - also expected, at this point. The British army bravely defended, but must’ve zigged when they should have zagged, as they fell to a barrage from the patriots. 5-6 for the forces of freedom, with no truce cards played as of yet.

To add to @SpiceTheCat 's post of earlier, I am really enjoying this game, despite Hexwar’s best efforts to the contrary. I think my favorite part of this is reading the AAR lol!

1 Like

Hm. Unimpressed with the lack of backbone shown by the Delaware defenders, and also by their own command’s inertia, a mixed bag of Loyalists takes New Jersey. They don’t really want it but apparently it’s important. All quiet on all the other fronts.

Very balanced game this, with the colony control basically even +/- 1 and no truce cards still.

Enjoying the AARs.

Sidebar: How would you guys rate 1775 as a potential purchase for solo play? I’ve already got a lot of multiplayer going on (tournaments and so forth), so I’m not in a frantic rush to add more.

I’m not the biggest HexWar fan, frankly … and $10 is a premium price in iOS-land (says the guy who has bought $50 Hearthstone bundles). Any thoughts are welcome.

1 Like

Hey! What’s not to want about New Jersey!? Wait, nevermind. Least the taxes back then were probably cheaper…

On the Army’s turn, the lightly defended western Massachusetts fell easily, as did eastern Maryland, breaking control of that colony and making the score a more palatable 5-6. Although two patriots did manage to run away, surprisingly. :astonished:

On the patriots turn, we moved into Norfolk against two natives and a Redcoat. Those natives are skilled shots, taking out two patriots in the first roll. However, the British rolled a command decision and chose to move into western Virginia, a questionable move by the AI since the natives, now leaderless, defected to the winning side. A battle in Philadelphia left Pennsylvania tenuously under the control of the colonists.

The continental army got to go again - what determines turn order? - and took northern Maryland easily. They also reinforced some areas that I forget and played their truce card. Time to end this, Georgie boy.

Glad you’re enjoying them. I can’t vouch for the level of the AI, having only played one game initially to learn the rules / play, but the game itself is great. I’ll try to give the AI a shot later tonight and I’ll let you know - maybe @SpiceTheCat has more experience?

I can be beat by AI designed on 1980s punch cards, so I probably can’t offer any advice in that regard, but the game itself is quite good and solo play does away with my major complaints against the title, which are primarily multiplayer-related. I will probably be purchasing 1812 to play on a flight to Hawaii later this year.

That said, 1775 isn’t the deepest of war games if you are in to that genre. I think of it as a next-step game for people who want to move past risk. There are certainly decisions to be made, and card + unique faction dice add flavor, but this is more of an entry-level war game.

It’s more of an area-control euro than war game in my mind. The theme pushes it more toward wargame territory, but the goal is to have more pieces in more places than your opponent, so there’s no wargame strategy (flanking, terrain, etc.) present.

It’s kind of like El Grande, but with patriots and redcoats. That’s not a bad thing…El Grande is pretty grande. Yes, I just typed that.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. I was just using the more (read: very) liberal definition of war game. I actually don’t have much experience with “real” war games, so I sometimes think of my area control games as war games.

1 Like

Modern major generals do not suffer from AP. They merely think deeply before issuing orders. Scraping together such reinforcements as can be found, the forces of the Crown head south to deal with the rebels’ hinterland. North Carolina falls, South Carolina is disputed and a harrasing force moves into PA, which is south-ish.

Units are looking a bit thin on the ground now, casualties and dispersion doing their bit. The colony control has swung my way but I’m not sure it’s a robust position…

You’re not kidding about it looking thin out there. I knew I’d left the south a little sparse, but was hoping the crown would be blinded by their anger over the tea enough to concentrate in the North. No such luck.

The Patriots managed to disrupt control of both North and South Carolina, but were prevented control by command decisions (read: cowardly retreats with their tails between their legs) by both the redcoats and loyalists…

The Army followed that turn with what can only be described most eloquently as a veritable Shitshow, capital S. A 3-1 attack into South Carolina left the redcoat standing triumphant and the battlefield littered with corpses only slightly more useless than when they were alive, apparently. A disaster of even greater proportions occurred with an attack into RI from Connecticut. Not wanting to leave CT too undefeated, G Dub split his force, sending 8 into RI and leaving 7 to defend. Thinking it would be sufficient against the defending force of 6… but failing to take into account the merciless Goddess named Dice. All four of the defenders dice came up hits on the first roll. The attackers? Funny you should ask. Three flee, a command decision, and a hit. Seeing the way this was going, the patriot militia wisely attacked to the rear and back into CT, while the remaining attackers were wiped out by another roll of four hits.

This one is swinging wildly towards the crown, and makes me glad only one of four truce cards has been played so far.