Yes, that's the real Civilization VI on the App Store

Looking at Steam and the Mac App Store, the game is normally $60, and is being discounted to $30 for what looks like the holiday - so it is no more than the PC/Mac version. Please correct that part of your argument since it’s provably false. If the PC version stays $30 after the holiday, then I’ll be more inclined to agree with you about pricing.

While history has proven that full price games have failed, the games being put out at full price weren’t worth it. For example, I bought Titan Quest at the full $7.99 which was pretty close to $5 over the price at GoG and other outlets and…it never got updated. Now the Switch is gettting the full Anniversary edition. XCom was an ok port, but having to buy the game twice was absolutely not the way to do it since both games were more than their respective PC outlets, and the control scheme needed work.

This is why I’m hopeful for Civ 6. It has feature parity with the Mac version. Now that all the work has been done to adapt the control scheme, updates should be easier when the Mac version is complete. Aspyr has also done a pretty good job with KOTOR and Jade Empire. Are they the best port maker? Ehh…that’s debatable. But they haven’t done the App Store wrong in their history of apps.

It would be provably false in some sort of alternate world where Steam was the only avenue to purchase PC games. With physical retail, Amazon, and eBay in the mix, buying this game at a price well below $60 was feasible long before now, and will remain that way even if Steam jacks their exorbitant rates back up. The Xbox marketplace can put a price of $19.99 on Sunset Overdrive all it wants, doesn’t change the fact that game has sold for under $5 brand new.

And your mention of Xcom touches on one of the main issues: few of the buyers for Civ will be buying it for the first time. So that means after the sale expires they would be asking people to shell out $60 to have a mobile version of a game they already purchased, presumably at or around $60 (since anyone hardcore enough to even consider rebuying the game likely purchased Civ on the PC near launch). And that’s the minimum. I haven’t played Civ 6 sadly, as I am primarily a console gamer. But if that DLC it has costs money, then it’s even more of an investment to then go and repeat.

Amazon is selling it for $30 for online codes, $58.92 at the time of post for the physical version. I see a couple on eBay for lower than the $60 price, but it’s from the usual grey market sellers, so caveat emptor. Green man Games has online does for $30, discounted 50%. These are the guaranteed, you will get good keys/physical copy, retailers.

For note: I’m not going to check the rest of the grey market sites because they do more harm than good, and have been caught several times selling bad keys for games. So if you’re willing to risk it, yes you can get it cheaper. I’ll concede the point with this caveat.

As far as people who’ve already bought it, most who already have it aren’t even willing to shell out $30 based in forum posts, so effectively it’s a non-issue. Either Aspyr prices it to make money, or they price it so low that they can’t make money. Appealing to fans who’ve already bought it isn’t going to do them any favors either way.

EDIT: reformatted, added some stuff.

New and sealed on eBay is pretty verifiable. Their return policy is very buyer-friendly, so not much of a risk there. And physical retail is still not in the mix here.

The real question is this: what do you believe would have made more money? For them to do as they have done, with a release price of $30 and then hike up to $60, or a release price of $20 or $25 and a price hike to $30? If the answer is the latter, they made the wrong call. It’s a hypothetical, so of course we will never have a real answer (which is half the fun of online debating, of course), but I fervently believe the latter option, or something similar in that vein, would have had at least a chance to penetrate beyond the diehards and get them some actual market share. But once that price goes up to $60, this game is going to effectively disappear from the scopes in weeks or even days, which has a very real chance of delaying DLC releases and screwing things even further when it starts to look less worthwhile to spend time and effort renovating a building without a lot in the way of paying tenants.

In other news, I managed to finish a 7 ai/Prince/standard/true earth start. I won by space race which feels like it might be challenging and nail biting in this version. The ai managed to burn my spaceport down with a spy, and took turns declaring war on me so in theory they were trying to stop me. However I never saw an enemy ship approach my shores so the ai may be lacking there. Naval assaults have always caused problems for the civ ais.

There doesn’t seem to be any corruption type mechanic to prevent rapid expansion. I assume the amenities being available to a limited number of cities should slow you down, but you are likely picking up more luxury’s every time you settle anyway.

The final 100 ai turns certainly slowed down significantly but not enough to have me reaching for a book. Some of the animations got a bit screwy towards the end of the game, like the jet bomber zipping round trying to attack something close by, and the frame rate freeze on a few of my mushroom clouds. It’s a shame because the animation for that is awesome when it works.

1 Like

Well you are playing at Prince level, so the AI should not be that good there. But…yes, the weakest part of Civ6 is the AI, and that version is two patches behind. The summer patch fixes a few things with the AI, one of those being end game. In the Summer patch, the AI becomes much more aggressive at trying to stop you when it looks like you are going to win.

There is more AI tuning in the Fall patch, but I have not got a chance to try it yet, as no Mac patch yet.

Honestly though, despite my being a little upset at Aspyr, I really like Civ 6 and am very much looking forward to what the X-Pac will bring to the game.

1 Like

@athros
You are right of course, I AM playing the same whiney tune all year long, time to grow up…
My main complain this time around was that I cannot buy now (on sale) and play later because the Purchase option is linked to the iOS 11 only, but I did word it like my usual complaints so yeah…mea culpa.

I am assuming the animations and voiceovers of leaders are completely gone and replaced with still pictures with subtitles only?

The gameplay footage I saw did not mention anything regarding this if this was only done manually by the player to speed things up via an ingame option or not.

How are savegames handled? One? Several? Can I adjust autosave frequency?

Edit:
How is the game language determined? Can it be changed via menu (to english) or do I have to go with the usual cringe-worthy German because the app foregoes the option and is hardcoded to take the device-language? (which is ok I suppose if I am updating I can go with “English UK” from the beginning…

Leader animation is an option for PC/Mac - it’s usually disabled by default unless you’re on a high end rig

I have multiple saves per game, auto saves I think once a turn. Nothing different than the PC/Mac version. No limits.

I had to pick the language as I recall, though I could be mistaken. I’ll check it in a few hours when the last Christmas party wraps up.

EDIT: Autosave is 1 by default and setable in options. Hunting for language settings is turning up nothing which is a bit concerning.

1 Like

Boromir is still there in all his beany glory. Not as good as Nimoy of course, but still an entirely respectable effort. I personally think the quotes he was given were weaker than in civ 4, but that’s just nitpicking.

The leaders aren’t animated, and if they had voiceovers before then they don’t anymore. So far I’ve only been loading my quick save, which happens every turn. There are quick save and save options though.

For what it’s worth, as someone who hasn’t played a Civ since III (though I remember Nimoy, so may I dabbled with 4 but couldn’t run it well enough), the game looks and sounds great from the demo. I don’t know where leader animations are supposed to be or what is supposed to be voiced over, so I see the game for what it offers, not what it is lacking, and what it offers seems a pretty package.

I don’t know if you game on PC/Mac/Linux at all…but if you have not played Civ since III…I highly recommend you go to Steam and get Civ 5 Complete for $12. It’s one of the best all around Civ experiences…and it’s at a crazy price with all of the x-pacs and DLC.

1 Like

Diplomacy screens have the leaders animated and moving around - facial expressions change and so on. Nothing that I’m really missing from the Let’s Plays I’ve watched.

I also agree with @kennfusion - if you’re up for a PC version, Civ V for $12 with everything is pretty amazing.

I appreciate the recommendation but I think my PC gaming days are behind me, or st least on hold for a while. That’s one reason I do believe I’ll end up pulllng the trigger I’m the iOS version.

Managed a culture victory on 6 players/Prince/small/islands with high sea level. There’s a lot of different parts to a culture victory and I’m not sure if they have much use unless you’re going for that victory, or defending from one. The archeology is a fun feature though.

The ai once again failed to mount any credible sea borne threat. It’s always been a problem for civ AIs and I hope further updates and mods can help in this department. This was probably the least bloody game of civ I’ve ever played as only 2 AIs declared war on me one time, and very quickly sued for peace after I captured one city.

I’ve always played on Prince as I felt it was a primer for multiplayer. It’s the level where the ai doesn’t get any production bonuses so I thought it would give me a better feel for the pace in multiplayer. I’ll try a Prince domination Pangea game next and see how the AI fares when we take boats out of the equation.

I was refering to the diplomatic interaction with the other civilisations.

It is only fluff and I agree with the still pictures used in MP games to speed things along, but I always enjoyed them in a relaxed singe player setting. Also they got quite good in C5 and C6.

Aside the “controversy” at C6’s reveal the…Cleopatra-gate* may I call it that? I really liked what the animators, art team and voice over team did with the Leaders.

Also I enjoyed watching them throw a fit after denying their requests, declaring war on them and stuff. It is really good…
It may be “just” a strategy game but the animators did a bang good job on mocap/animation and expressing emotions here, ressources well spend and a sad fact that this is lost to (the considerable few) mobile first-adopters.

Seeing Cleopatra or Pedro throw a tantrum is always funny and makes my day…especially when they use their original language (or approxximation thereof)…**

Examples below:

The guy did a video series about all major things the Leaders say (Meeting you the first time, declearing war, being defeated, denouncing you, etc…)

But of course it makes sense to not have them in the mobile version…as much as it saddens me the downlöad size of Civ 6 on PC is about 8-9 GB…cutting away at the animated fluff and voiceovers make sense on the technical limitation size

*People blew up about the art direction of C6 as a whole…and got a bit distracted by Cleopatras’s…eyes…it got a bit silly…
** obligatory movie reference: “cursing in french is like wiping your ass with silk”

1 Like

Bought the full game, as a matter of principle. Started a game, foolishly skipped the whole “new to Civ?” because, hey, I was there for the original, kids, and started a game. Argh information windows what is it this isn’t the Civ I knew what’s happening? After that brief panic, and copious use of the Civopedia, up and running, kinda. The Egyptians hate me for no obvious reason. Oh well, that’s why we have, uh, slingers? And my warriors working their way up an XCOM style skill tree? Ooh, policies, they look good. Pretty map.

In other words, I approve.

5 Likes

Same here, threw myself into a game before realising an awful lot has changed. I went back and played the tutorial (always painful) but I still have some elements of doubt mechanics wise.

Still, it wouldn’t be Civ if I knew exactly what I was doing the first few games. So, it’s addictive, I’m not sure of some elements but I am sure the Sumarians are a set of dicks. It’s a hit for me.

2 Likes

Some lines are just perfect for Civilization Nerd T-Shirts.

I rate this at least on par with the classic “Fuck Montezuma!”

Also I just love Civ logic…

4 Likes

:slight_smile: Well, I look at it this way, getting a pyramid first would make people admire the greatness of our Civilization and they would be drawn to us, and work for us, so we would have more workforce, thus higher construction power and well, free workers. If there was already another civilization that built the pyramids and they would somehow learn of it, they would just ‘meh, what’s new’ at ours. :smile:

2 Likes

Bah reasonable explanations are boring…

how about…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like