Wings of Galactica? Ares Games bringing BSG battles to your tabletop

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2018/04/11/wings-of-galactica-ares-games-bringing-bsg-battles-to-your-tabletop/

Tabletop •

Many years ago the folks at Ares Games created a miniatures game so easy that even non-miniature gamers, like me, could figure them out and play them. Even better, they sold the games with pre-painted miniatures and all the stuff you needed to play. No searching for a tape measure or blistering your fingers prying plastic off sprues. Even, even, better the theme was World War I and II air combat. Of course, I’m talking about Wings of War (now Wings of Glory) and, for a short time, I was hooked. This was followed up by Sails of Glory which takes the basic premise and moves it onto the high seas.

All was well and good and then Fantasy Flight used a system that was…similar…in their blockbuster hit X-Wing and then followed that up with capital ship combat in Armada. Who wants to shoot shells when you can fire laser cannons and make pew-pew sounds as you play? Don’t count Ares out yet, however, as they just announced their own sci-fi miniatures combat game, Battlestar Galactica-Starship Battles.

BSG Starship Battles follows the same beats of the previous “move ships around on a table” games, with prepainted minis and easy rules. Instead of a galaxy far, far away this is in the grimy BSG-verse where only 50,000 humans are alive and the cylons are out to bring that number to zero.

Battlestar Galactica – Starship Battles will feature ready to play, painted and assembled miniatures, with a special base to support its unique game mechanics. Players will take control of one or more Colonial and Cylon ships, and face each other in furious dogfights and many other different kinds of missions.

The game will feature innovative mechanics allowing players to simulate space combat using simple and intuitive rules to imitate the unique dynamics of the battles in the TV show.

Fans of both the reimagined series and the 1970’s series will find stuff to like, as ships from both eras will be represented. So, much like a screensaver from 1991, this game will feature flying toasters.

If you want to see BSG in action, you’ll have to go to Gen Con this August where they’ll be showing it off. The actual release date hasn’t yet been set, so it’s not clear if they’ll also be for sale at Gen Con, or if it will only be demos. If it’s not ready by Gen Con, I’m sure Ares is doing whatever they can to make sure it releases before Xmas.

2 Likes

So say we all!

I guess my biggest concern with this idea is that BSG doesn’t exactly have a wealth of various ship designs. A couple similar capital ships, different models of vipers, and…what? Oh well, at least we can finally have that Starbuck vs. Starbuck battle we’ve always wanted, right?

2 Likes

Ah, Wings of War, so good. A little fiddly to do the movement without pushing the cards around too much, but such a fun, fun game.

1 Like

Pretty much my thoughts back then when BSG: Deadlock was announced. At least it wasn’t that much of a problem…that said I really hope for more Models/Shiptypes in the recently announced BFG:A2…even if they have to bend the lore a little…if it was ever announced or mentioned anywhere “official” let me play it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m glad to hear they are going to feature the original series ships as well. Those will add a lot more variety and style. Hopefully there’s also a character/commander aspect similar to X-Wing/Armada. Looking forward to seeing it in action.