Welcome to Castle Memelot, and the Round Table of Bullshit and Knives

I might have missed it, but why carry knives? Security? Military? Self defence?

#confusedaussie

1 Like

I carry them on duty for work purposes; off duty, as a tool - opening the myriad amount of Amazon boxes, household stuff, etc, and also as a secondary weapon.

ETA forgot to take a pic last night, but off duty I carry the James Brand Chapter knife. I know it gets a lot of hate in knife forums / reddit / etc, but I like the slim lines, light weight, and lack of sharp edges on the handle that will tear holes in my pants (looking at you, Benchmade. Not every knife requires a glass breaker, which, as an aside, has never worked once for me in actually breaking glass).

2 Likes

Always be prepared. I grew up carrying a pocket knife handed down to my from my dad, who In turn got it from his dad. A knife is a handy tool that can be used for a variety of things and I feel like I use mine on a daily basis. Defense is far from my primary concern, but some of the more modern “tactical” folders like those shown above can serve double duty and be used as a defensive tool in a pinch; I wouldn’t want my Victorinox Swiss army for that.

As I mentioned earlier, though, there is also an artistry to knives that collectors often value. Just like with other niche collectibles - pens, watches, etc. - you can’t stop collecting at just one.

4 Likes

I ended up carrying one, and a multitool, for work, and then that was reinforced by doing stuff like climbing and snorkeling that also required a knife. I ended up edging into ‘collector’ territory although technically all my knives are different enough as to fulfill different purposes. This is what I tell myself.

1 Like

Have a spyderco salt? It’s my go-to wet knife. I’ve got it with the sheepsfoot blade so I don’t stab myself on a boat.

1 Like

I own two! I picked up a Pacific which has become a wet weather knife when I found out straight edges don’t work that great under water regardless of how sharp they are, and replaced it with a Tasman, which is probably still my favourite knife. All of 60 grams, I kept forgetting I had it in my pocket. Wonderful bit of kit. No corrosion, ever.

1 Like

2 Likes

Had to laugh at the change to the thread title.

1 Like

Sadly, I misplaced my auto-opening Benchmade when I wanted to make sure the kids didn’t start playing with it. I still have one I purchased while it was I. The military as a go-to tool. It’s probably near the time to send it back to the factory for sharpening.

My wife purchased a Leatherman Skeletool a couple years ago as our eldest Boy Scout was earning his whittling chip (demonstrates a kid is responsible enough to carry a knife), and she is quite happy with it. Our eldest received a multi-tool Christmas ‘19, but that model was discontinued.

2 Likes

3 Likes
2 Likes

I actually had to do that at an outdoor restaurant for a duck. It was heroic…

It is funny because after the restaurant gave me a small applause I sat down by my non-understanding wife and said “that’s why always carry a knife.” I’m pretty sure she still thinks I am crazy.

4 Likes

4 Likes

cmw

2 Likes

Of course I want a new knife… trying to decide between the new Benchmade Claymore auto

or the soon to be released automatic Adamas…

Adamas has a slightly larger blade, which is important to me. Anyone care to weigh in?

The Adama is an absolute tank of a knife, but the Claymore is lighter and still what I would call overbuilt compared to most knives on the market, still has really good blade thickness. D2 steel is always a winner too.

So… you’re saying I need both? :wink:

2 Likes

Only if you can get an Adamas without the serrations. :laughing:

1 Like
1 Like

Ahhh that’s the stuff.

1 Like