The Stately Players' Game of the Year

I’d say allow them. It speaks to the quality of a game that it is released years later on a new system and is still one of the best games of the year.

3 Likes

I wish I could nominate Stardew Valley but I’m on Android so hopefully next year. Of course, I was waiting for Scythe on Mobile too… I’d like to nominate Heaven’s Gate but that isn’t out either.

I’m going to second/third/agree with Meteorfall and One Deck Dungeon. I’ll also nominate Morals… it’s very well done.

2 Likes

Some of you are making me re-consider One Deck Dungeon. Dovetailing from our conversation over in the C&C: Rivals thread, the Switch is just such a great mobile platform that I almost never pick up my ipad these days. Apps that aren’t universal just don’t get bought by me, but maybe I’ll have to make an exception for ODD.

1 Like

On the flip side, you could have the same game win the award multiple years. That seems a tad disingenuous.

1 Like

Would “Port of the year” category fix the problem? Or does it bloat the list to much?

1 Like

Would love to have nominated Labyrinth… but that’ll have to wait till next year hopefully. Any word on it, @Neumannium?

They’re working on it. :slight_smile:

Actually, I owe @Strangiato about a dozen emails since Gen Con and just haven’t been in a place to follow through. Now that I’ve announced my failure publicly, perhaps it will spur me to actually get it done before Xmas…

Unless that game is Dream Quest, of course.

4 Likes

dbl

3 Likes

Yes please… I’ve heard tell someone (cough, cough) sent you a screenshot at some point…

took me a second, but, well done sir, well done.

Two movies apparently scarred me as a child: The Neverending Story and Labyrinth. I don’t remember much about The Neverending Story, but I remember being terrified that something was going to come out of the headboard of my bed and eat me. I remember the creepy orange muppet things that popped their eyes out in Labyrinth. I know it’s irrational, but I’ve completely avoided those movies since early childhood. I haven’t avoided Bowie, though.

haha, my sisters used to watch Labyrinth incessantly. My mother had (has?) a crush on Bowie, so…

Ah. You got me there.

PC: Battletech

Yes, I know it’s a flawed game in some ways, but I don’t think any game has translated the nostalgic tabletop fantasies of my youth into the new digital age more accurately in a long, long time.

Mobile: I agree that it hasn’t been a stellar year for mobile releases. Barring another vote for Dream Quest, I’ll toss a nod toward Pocket City.

If games can double dip with a new platform then Fortnite, obviously.

/dodges hate like a ninja

1 Like

I will say, as much as I fawn over DQ, I really would prefer not to see it win forever. However much it deserves to.

2 Likes

Shit, totally forgot about Bad North, and the campaign I was probably halfway through.

Oh if we’re talking physical board games I’ve gotta plug Fine Sand by Friedemann Friese.

1 Like

While Cinco Paus is the objectively correct vote, I’ll add a couple of nominations that I haven’t seen mentioned yet and I believe deserve to have at least a ballot slot. The Room: Old Sins, and Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind.

(I’d have added Slay the Spire, but that apparently fails to make the cut-off, having been released in Early Access on 15th November last year, though SP didn’t discover it until January.)

2 Likes