The Royal Library of Alexandria (SP Book Discussion)

It’s been a couple decades since I’ve read this, but I’d like to revisit it, too.

Just finished The Haunting of Tram Car 015, by P. Djèlí Clark, and it was good, though not great. It had a lighter tone than I expected, but it was a nice counter to some serious supernatural threats. Some moments of great writing, but also some moments of meander.

Prior to that, I finished Magic for Liars, by Sarah Gailey, which was fantastic. Really excellent. Great main character and 1st-person narrative voice all the way through, lots of mystery and magic, well-drawn characters and setting.

Currently reading Lent, by the wonderful Jo Walton, whose books I must admit to finding hit or miss. This one is definitely a hit so far. Also (very leisurely) making my way though Ted Chiang’s recent collection, which is challenging but less rewarding to me than his first collection.

@coffeentacos I’ve got the Crouch book on my list and am looking forward to it. I liked his previous book a lot.

I’m waiting for Magic for Liars from the library. Can’t wait to read it!

I’ve gotta say, I’m enjoying Recursion a lot more than I did Dark Matter. The structure and premise are more interesting to me and executed more smoothly, making it better on the whole.

There’s something about any story where someone is replaced and the people in their lives don’t notice that doesn’t sit right with me. I nearly stopped reading it when that happened. Just leaves me with a kinda gross feeling that I don’t enjoy.

Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch. Interesting- the subject could just have been a variation on omg teh interwebs so grammer much emoji. However, it’s a nice survey by a linguist of what we’re consciously or unconsciously trying to achieve with new ways of writing. The analogy of emojis to gestures, for example. Quick but engaging read.

As I expected, finished Recursion last night. Absolutely fantastic book.

Picking up A Memory Called Empire after work, which I’m really excited to read. Anthropology-minded space opera? Heck yeah.

If you haven’t heard it, Gretchen McCulloh is also on a linguistics podcast called Lingthusiasm. It’s quite good fun and if you like her writing, it’s her in conversation with another linguist about similar topics.

I distinctly recall a section about jealousy, and how Arthur was brought up with too much love to feel it, which ended which him placing Guinevere’s hand in Lancelot’s.

I’m not sure this is in that book at all. I recall something similar from another Arthurian tale though, perhaps Kay’s The Fionavar Tapestry?

A while ago I’d started reading Virginia Woolf’s To The Lighthouse and while I was enjoying reading it, the shifting perspectives made it hard to keep track of what was going on so progress was slow. I then shifted to the audiobook and that has helped keep track of things, though by nature of the narrative, it’s still a bit of a blur at times. Still, I’ve nearly finished listening to it and I’m really glad I didn’t drop it entirely!

I don’t think I’ve read that (though I’ve read some other work of his, and could possibly have forgotten). But you’re right that it’s likely from something else. What’s bizarre to me about it is that I should have rested a substantial amount of my memory of affection for TOaFK on a scene I thought was in it, but wasn’t. Now I have to try and figure out what I’ve read that it could possibly be from.