The Parenting Simulator

My second interactive fiction title released today on iOS, Google Play and the Amazon App Store. TPS is a fairly unique title where you take a child from birth to adulthood through a series of events where what you choose helps to shape who they become. I’m pretty proud of it, as it is the best thing I have created outside of my two actual children. And really I only get a co-author credit on them.

7 Likes

While I imagine most people here already have a game in mind for this, I’d love anyone interested to nominate The Parenting Simulator for the Wildcard category in the Pocket Tactics 2019 year-end awards. Would be great exposure just to get on the ballot, for me specifically and Hosted Games in general, since IF doesn’t tend to get a lot of press attention. https://www.pockettactics.com/articles/nominations-pocket-tactics-game-of-the-year-2019/

A link to the story for anyone interested, it’s free to play the first few years and $3.99 as a one-time purchase for the rest: https://www.choiceofgames.com/user-contributed/parenting-simulator/#utm_medium=web&utm_source=usercontrib

For an update on how TPS has done since release if anyone is interested, did alllllmost manage to crack the top 100 RPG rank over on the Amazon app store, got up to about 120 last week, but have tumbled to 260 or so now. Still, it’s done a ton better than Nuclear Powered Toaster sales-wise. And by ‘a ton’ I mean ‘TPS exceeded NPT’s earnings over 13 months in 32 days…five times over’. Reviews surprisingly are not great; started out high, but a lot of people are trashing it over not being freemium, so it’s dropped from 4.8 to 4.0 on Google and mostly stayed there. It’s an odd sort of world these days.

That being said, it scores much higher on the HG omnibus, 4.7 out of 5 with 1200 or so reviews. It helps when people can’t score your story until they’ve both bought it and completed it.

1 Like

One more update: TPS will be released on Steam May 7th (just in time for Mother’s Day, of course). Here’s the page in case anyone is interested in wishlisting it in order to take advantage of the 25% off launch day sale.

3 Likes

The Steam release happened, which means TPS is on sale for $2.99 until Thursday. It’s doing well if the achievement data and reviews are any indication, but it’ll be a couple months before I get hard data.

Also got a good review from a gaming site called Two Beard Gaming, which is nice since IF as a whole doesn’t get much coverage from either book or game reviewers due to existing at the crossroads between them.

1 Like