The Internet Almanac

Peter Dinklage clearly thinks Stephen Colbert is an offensive, blathering idiot. And he really is, in this segment.

2 Likes

Oof, that was painful. I thought Colbert was usually better than that.

That had been my assumption as wellā€“Iā€™ve actually never watched his late night show, so this clip was my first exposure since the Colbert Report. I wonder if he just had good writers before and now gets to be more ā€œhimselfā€.

Iā€™ve seen him conduct other interviews that went much more smoothly. No question the Colbert Report writers were great, but Iā€™m not quite sure what went wrong with him and Dinklage.

https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2018/10/29/on-oumuamua-thin-films-and-lightsails/

1 Like

This is pretty much only for Warhammer fans or possible future fansā€¦
A fanmade CG video in the grim dark future. The amazing thing isā€¦the stuff was done by one person more or less all aloneā€¦and the graphics quality is up to Blizzards standardsā€¦

https://youtu.be/7jcuYA714Jw

Donā€™t know about the embedding stuffā€¦

1 Like

Pretty amazing to be done by one person!

Iā€™m surprised, and disappointed, that we never got more after the ā€œUltramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movieā€, I enjoyed the movie, especially the voice acting. I was particularly hoping for more Space Marine chapters, it seemed like with so much modeling and animation work already done that it would not have been hard to economically do more with those assets. :thinking:

Iā€™ll pull the trigger on Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 soon, weā€™ve got until January the 24th for the pre-order promotional discount. With the extra 15% discount for owning the first one (25% instead of the 10% pre-purchase discount), with the current Steam sale anyone who doesnā€™t own the first, and plans to buy the second, will basically only be paying $1.49 for the first one ($7.49 - $6), if my math is correct. :sunglasses:

1 Like

the first game is based on a pretty important conflict as well, so for lore enthusiasts a must (the tabletop miniature game the computer game is based of did this as well)

Oh my, this is 10 years old, but I knew before clicking it had to do with Scott Bakker just from the phrase ā€œSemantic Apocalypseā€.

1 Like

Still relevant!

https://www.nber.org/papers/w25402

We find that tariff increases lead, in the medium term, to economically and statistically significant declines in domestic output and productivity. Tariff increases also result in more unemployment, higher inequality, and real exchange rate appreciation, but only small effects on the trade balance. The effects on output and productivity tend to be magnified when tariffs rise during expansions, for advanced economies, and when tariffs go up, not down. Our results are robust to a large number of perturbations to our methodology, and we complement our analysis with industry-level data.

2 Likes

Haha, Iā€™m going to have to read that one at some point. I canā€™t even count the number of well-written books Iā€™ve read that had ridiculous sex scenes, sometimes for seemingly no reason. Iā€™ve often felt that some authors write sex just to live vicariously through their work.

https://thepointmag.com/2019/examined-life/its-all-over

I see this financially driven destruction of human subjecthood as the culmination, and the turning inward and back upon ourselves, of a centuries-long process of slow mastery of the objects of our creation as they move through the natural environment. The first vessels to cross oceans simply set out as singular physical entities, as wood in water. But by the age of global colonialism and trade, ships were not just physical constructions. They were now insured by complicated actuarial determinations and economic commitments among men in the shipsā€™ places of origin, and these operations, though they left no physical mark on the individual ship that set out to sea, nonetheless altered the way ships in general moved through the sea, the care the captain took to avoid wrecks, to log unfamiliar occurrences, to follow procedure in the case of accidents.

1 Like