The Glass Teat, or 'Television'

I believe you’ve hit the nail on the head, Netflix doesn’t want their customers to disable the auto-play, no doubt their metrics show that with auto-play they can lure folks into wasting time on shows that they would disregard based on a considered evaluation.

As you say, it’s not hard but the process seems to be geared, IMHO, to only those so aggravated by the “feature” that after years of frustration Netflix throws them a bone … perhaps enough folks listed it as a reason when cancelling Netflix that it was decided to finally provide that option rather than lose those customers to the competing streaming options that are popping up, but bury it so only those who aggressively seek it out can benefit from it? :thinking:

2 Likes

Locke and Key. I badly need this to be good. I love the books. I need something in my life right now that is an unalloyed positive.

You okay? That sounds like a rather forlorn comment.

I’m okay thank you, just going through an unrewarding patch currently. I could do with a series adapting some books I love faithfully, for a change.

1 Like

Just started Mythic Quest, on Apple TV+. Only one episode into the series featuring Mac from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia as the owner (?) of a game studio publishing a WoW type MMO. Definitely good for some laughs so far, will update as I get further in.

Also started You, on Netflix. As @SpiceTheCat and @OhBollox pointed out, calling this stalkerific is like calling the Pope a wee bit Catholic. Left me feeling unsatisfied and dirty all over. Not sure if I’ll go back for a third episode.

Finally finished The Deuce, on HBO. Three great seasons capped by a quick finale, which satisfied nonetheless. Maggie Gyllenhall and James Franco are both fantastic in it, even more so when I realized that Franco plays two roles in the show. Recommended.

1 Like

The Outsider. An intriguing start. I’ve reached that time in a man’s life when he cheerfully admits he doesn’t have time to read Stephen King’s book again, and so would rather watch the adaptation. I hope it’s this good all the way through, although IIRC I’ve had the big reveal spoiled by the book’s blurb.

I haven’t read much King; I read The Stand about 20 years ago and I read the first Dark Tower book a couple years ago. I have always thought (sorry if it is a controversial opinion) that King is a mediocre writer with some intriguing stories where he more often than not fails to stick the landing. The ending for the original IT movie pretty much sums up my expectations for his stories. I do tend to enjoy the films made from his stories, though (at least the first 2/3 of them…). I don’t know how The Outsider is going to end, but my wife and I are enjoying it quite a bit so far. I can’t pass judgment on it yet, but I look forward to each episode releasing.

2 Likes

Not a fan of horror - are we talking Black Mirror vs Psycho vs I’ll never come out from under the covers again?

It might be up your street actually. It’s about a murder investigation in a small town; an impossible crime sort of job, but I think the really horrific stuff isn’t in how graphic it is (it hasn’t been at all, so far), but in the knock-on effect on the families involved. It’s not a horror series yet, it could have a pivot later on.

Thanks - trailers made it seem horror-ish, plus King. I’ll take a look at it.

I’d say more dark than horrific. Did you see True Detective? It gives me those vibes.

Ooo, nice - loved True Detective.

Came back to add that I’m five into Mythic Quest and can wholeheartedly recommend it. It won’t change your life, but it should entertain for a brief time. Think minute steak vs filet mignon.

3 Likes

So, not quite as good as Medical Police? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Medical Police is to TV as Mary Poppins Returns is to the movies. Don’t @ me.

Being a major Star Trek fan, I’ve watched the first three episodes of Picard as they’ve come out. I was pretty excited when I learned they were actually doing this show (though I’d be 10x more excited if they’d do a show about Garak), so I really, really want to like it. But it’s just ok. And sometimes kind of not good. Spoiler-free:

–The villains are not complex. At no point (so far) do you feel the depth of character that you feel in villains in numerous other shows of the last ten years. The villains are just evil and dangerous, and we don’t know why. Presumably, the “why” will be a big “reveal” at some point, but it’s a lame construct put in at the expense of making those characters appear motivated by anything other than…dumb hatred?

–The dialogue, as with most Trek, is often awful. I don’t know why this is so hard for Trek. Even the most recent Star Wars movies have done dialogue better than Trek. Most of this is scripting, and some of this is acting. Though some of the acting is better than standard Trek (notably Stewart, of course, and his two caretakers at his vineyard), most of it is completely on par with the level of acting we’ve seen since TOS, sadly.

–Speaking of dialogue, there is occasional use of swear words (gasp). But this feels…weird. I mean, for one thing, who would feel comfortable swearing in front of Picard? Apparently plenty of people. Not me. And every time it happens, regardless of the context, it takes me out of it. It’s like the character has held up a sign that says, “New Edgier Trek Happening.”

–Inherent to the plot are: politics, history, sex, racism, mysticism and the unexplained, betrayals, mystery, and British accents. The same was true for, as one example, Game of Thrones. Yet even with those ingredients, Picard doesn’t get close to the feeling one had when watching even the later seasons of GoT. There is no sense of spectacle, grand drama, or gripping tension. Granted, we’re only 3 episodes in, but that stuff was evident in GoT within the first episode.

–Pacing-wise, Picard is sloooow-moving. And they can get away with it because, with every other Trek show, there was a lot of doubt as to whether it would get renewed after its first season. But there’s no question this will go on for as many seasons as Patrick Stewart is up for doing it.

–That being said, Picard is all long-arc. There is nothing episode-specific about the show. It’s telling one long story, which is right in my personal wheel-house—I love long-arc and will stop watching shows if they don’t have one. Yet the pacing here feels so glacial; from a plot pov, I want them to get to a moment we all know is coming but I fear they’re saving for the last ep of the season, which would be infuriating.

If this show had been made 10-15 years ago, I’d be a lot more forgiving, but TV has evolved beyond this. Instead of moving Trek forward at the same rate as TV in the 21st century, they’re edging it slightly forward in clunky ways that only serve to highlight its weaknesses. Hopefully Picard will get better, I really hope so.

2 Likes

I’m sure the reactions to it are as varied as the people who watch it, but in my opinion the cursing in both of the current CBS Star Trek shows is decidedly not Star Trek and is very unfortunate. Remember, CBS, just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do something.

In other Trek-related news, my 7-year-old has expressed interest in watching Star Trek! Now I just need to figure out which series to start him on. TNG is the obvious answer but original series is an option, as is Voyager as it will likely hold his attention best. It is quite the dilemma.

3 Likes

So, what’s the verdict on Locke & Key? I know nothing about it but really need a good series to binge and dread starting one only to find out it shits the bed in episode 7.

Worth starting?

It’s worth it. I’m not totally happy with it, but I love the books, they’re the best thing Joe Hill has ever done apart from Horns, and I probably wouldn’t be 100% satisfied with any adaptation that didn’t slavishly follow them. The casting is good, the writing preserves most of the good stuff from the books, and I understand keeping some of it more low-key (sorry) in order to keep the budget and CGI reasonable. The series does have a softer edge, mostly, than the books. The books managed a teenage/childhood magical hijinks feel but with real death, which is very rare, and it’s something the TV series doesn’t quite manage to maintain as consistently.

The books are some of the best and most rewarding stories about a family coping with death that I have ever read, they’re wonderfully wholesome, so in a way this is a glowing recommendation.

3 Likes

I felt the same way about the cursing tossed into the Amazon series for The Tick. It felt so desperate and out of place.