Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/06/01/the-frankenstein-wars-comes-to-the-app-store/
iOS Universal, Android •
It's been a long time coming, but the latest bit of interactive fiction from the creative geniuses at Cubus Games
has finally arrived. It's called The Frankenstein Wars and adds the living dead to the Napoleonic Wars and what could be cooler than that?
If Cubus' previous titles hewed close to the Tin Man model of lots of text with a little bit of dice here and there, The Frankenstein Wars brings their brand a bit closer to inkle, with loads of interactive maps to explore. TFW also adds the concept of timed missions, meaning you can't do whatever you want without the story changing. If you don't handle some stuff right away, you'll be out of luck.
The synopsis is bonkers and right up there with what you'd expect from Cubus if you've played Heavy Metal Thunder
or their other books:
Tom and Anton Clerval have long guarded the secret to Victor Frankenstein's resurrection technology. In revolutionary France, in 1827, that secret at last comes to light. The radical Zeroiste movement creates an army of the reanimated dead to seize control of the country, and then to cross the Channel to strike at the heart of the British Empire. Only Tom and Anton have the power to halt the Zeroistes - or to stoke the flames of all-out war. Decide the fate of the world in this enhanced interactive adventure in the same vein as classic gamebook series.
You get to play as both Tom and Anton Clerval, but the game is more than that. You also get to direct battles and more:
- Explore 8 interactive maps to reach your objectives.
- You direct both Tom and Anton Clerval through a branching, non-linear storyline - and you decide if the brothers become allies, or enemies.
- Pit yourself against ever-shifting goals.
- Time is of the essence! Storylines and goals may be time-sensitive - the longer you take, the better prepared your opponents will be.
- Weather affects the game, not just for aesthetics but for the story (you know weather has changed the history in surprising ways).
- Direct whole battalions in narrated strategic battles.
- Includes dozens of original illustrations by Rafater.
- Immersive soundtrack with classical flavor (Cubus Games house brand).
The Frankenstein Wars is available now for iOS Universal and Android but requires iOS 8.0 or later.