The Color of Madness comes to Darkest Dungeon on iPad

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2018/10/22/the-color-of-madness-comes-to-darkest-dungeon-on-ipad/

iPad, Switch, PS4, Xbox, PC/Mac/Linux •

While it doesn’t happen very often, every now and then things turn out okay. Last Friday I mentioned that I’m leaving for a 4.5 hour plane trip with my entire family [on Spirit Airlines, no less. The only airline folks with three kids can afford -ed.] and was dreading it. Red Hook Studios was listening and, I’m sure it’s because of me, have finally released the Color of Madness DLC for Darkest Dungeon on iPad. Now I can get frustrated and angry at my tablet instead of my kids! Huzzah!

If you don’t know what Darkest Dungeon is, go read this. Now. You see, it’s one of my favorite “heavy” non-board games on my iPad, up there with the likes of FTL and Civ VI. I don’t really understand why I like it so much, when most of my play time is spent bemoaning the current state of my adventurer pool or the lack of gold in my coffers, and, yet, once I get into a run it’s hard to stop.

The Color of Madness DLC has been available on, I think, all the other platforms that you can buy Darkest Dungeon on, but I’ve been holding out for the iPad release. Yes, I consider the tablet edition of DD to be the best way to play, UI nitpicks and all. Anyway, what does Color of Madness bring to the embalming table?

Our brand new DLC The Color of Madness is now available, along with the Musketeer and many updates to the base game!

DLC Features

• New region: The Farmstead!
  • Endless Quest: Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet.
  • Twisted new trinkets, available for purchase from the Jeweler. Put your gold away—he trades only in Comet Shards!
  • All-New Enemy Faction: The Miller and his loyal workmen have become eerie husks of their former selves.
  • 3 new bosses - The Miller, The Thing From the Stars, and the Comet itself!
  • New Curios help keep your party in fighting shape as you face the enless hordes!
  • Expand your Hamlet with 4 new District buildings and reap their benefits.
  • New Quirks, with unique and powerful effects!
  • Our biggest soundtrack addition yet from Stuart Chatwood
That's a lot of new stuff to wade through, but it's not everything. We're also getting a new character class to play, the Musketeer! I should probably not bother with the exclamation point because I think the Musketeer is simply a new skin for the Arbalest. I could be wrong here, but the iTunes description states that it's "mechanically identical to Arbalest" so, I'm a little meh on the whole Musketeer thing. There are, however, Musketeer specific trinkets to find, so that might mix things up a bit?

Whatever, the big news is all the new comet-induced mayhem on the Farmstead, so let’s not bicker and argue about Musketeers and Arbalests. For some reason, iTunes isn’t showing the IAP price for Color of Madness, but considering the previous expansion, The Crimson Court, is $5, let’s assume that’s the case for the Color of Madness.

https://youtu.be/-ZkmC8ucFkI
3 Likes

Time to begin a new run for me.

Darkest Dungeon is a game I really want to play. I own it on Steam, iPad and Nintendo Switch. All three platforms have issues that prevent me actually enjoying the game. My Mac plays it happily enough on Steam but I rarely play games on that. It looks gorgeous on the iPad Pro, everything is readable, but it’s well nigh uncontrollable. The interface is so trigger happy I end up spending all my money on some trinket by tapping on it by accident, it is rogue like by interface torture. The Switch is OK but unreadable in hand held mode, which is 95% of my use.

So if the iPad interface issues could be resolved I think I could play it on that. Otherwise I adore the ideas, artwork and hope one day to experience a little more of the game!

Armello is the same. Own it on Steam, Switch and iPad. Plays nicely on Mac, but see above. Switch is again just a bit too hard to read in hand held mode. The iPad would be great but that version is a hot mess of timers, subscriptions, fake currencies and other boondoggles.

I guess I need to get over myself and play them on the Mac…

One of the very few games to make me genuinely angry.

1 Like