The Actual Table

Ok, here is my attempt at my “Top 10 of 2017” list. You’ll immediately see the problem - I didn’t play enough 2017 releases, and when I include games that I played that weren’t released in 2017, the list looks very different. Oh well, that can’t be helped. I also kept digital board games off the list; Through the Ages easily would have made the list had I actually played a cardboard copy. There is a good chance I missed something as I don’t log my plays, and this list sadly leaves out a few games that I think are brilliant, but don’t think I managed to get to the table last year. So, without further ado:

1. Welcome to the Dungeon - I brought this game (and the expansion) on a family reunion trip to Hawaii over the summer. Of the 2 weeks that we were there, we played multiple games a night. Everyone that played enjoyed it and the game was good for quite a few laughs.

2. Lords of Xidit - I don’t know that I’ve played a programming game before and found Xidit to be a fun experience. The game looks amazing and programming led to some amusing situations, especially as I had a head cold and kept messing up, much to everyone’s entertainment.

3. 7 Wonders Duel - This game relies a bit too much on iconography for my (and more importantly, my wife’s) taste, but it hit the table a number of times when my wife and I wanted to play something after the kids were down. But it was replaced as our go-to two-player game by:

4. Sagrada - This game looks great, plays great, and appeals to a pretty wide group of gamers. There is nothing over-complicated, but the game squeezes a drafting mechanic into an interesting spacial puzzle. It had tough competition for the next spots on the list, but I really like Sagrada and it may well be my top gateway or filler game.

5. Clank! - I liked Dominion well enough when it first came out and I do enjoy the idea of deck builders, though they sometimes become more work than I find worth it (looking at you, Legendary system). I loved Clank! because it took the mechanic and put it into a push-your-luck dungeon run. What a great idea! I don’t know that this will stick around as one of my favorites, but it was a refreshing game this year for me.

6. Fury of Dracula - What an amazing, atmospheric, thematic onve-vs.-all hidden movement game! The only knock I have against the game is its length. If this game could in any way be condensed into a 90 minute experience without changing the game, it would skyrocket near the top of my all-time favorites list. It is just too long to get to the table frequently, and the player count isn’t always helpful. But if there are 5 of us with 3+ hours to kill, look out Drac…

7. Terra Mystica - I bought this game after playing the app a number of times. I often vacillate between Euro and Ameritrash games, but this has become my go-to Euro. It is easy to play once you know how to read it, but the strategy always has my brain working overtime.

8. Scythe - I love “hybrid” games that give you a little Euro, a little Ameritrash, all in one game. Scythe is beautiful, easy to learn, and gives me a great hybrid that tends towards a Euro game. Scythe is a great worker-placement/resource management/action selection game with variable and upgradable player boards and just a touch of fairly basic combat.

9. Blood Rage - Blood Rage is my favorite of the “hybrids” as it tends a little more towards the Ameritrash end of the spectrum, but without going full bore into the dudes on a map tropes. Vikings, monsters, the end of the world; this game’s pretty exciting. At the same time there is a good deal of bluffing and even “losing” on purpose. Very fun.

10. Cosmic Encounter - This is just about my perfect game with the group I normally game with. Yes, there is some strategy, but more importantly, there are hundreds of variable player powers and some of the funniest negotiating and combat I have ever had the joy of playing. Not one game of CE goes by without a ton or smooth talking, back stabbing, bluffing, intense card reveals, and laughing. Oh, the laughing. We just have so much fun with this one and it is easily in my top 5 favorite games.

8 Likes

Looks like Time Barons V2 (republished by WizKids) has hit the shores here in Europe/UK.

Really fun 2 player strategic card game. Think it supports more players with the in-box expansion too.

https://www.time-barons.com

2 Likes

I love Fury of Dracula. I will never ever let my copy leave me. I’ll murder our children first.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/684398802/neanderthal-and-greenland? - if you want some idiosyncratic games, look no further. Features possibly the most grudging card redesign I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

Awesome list!

I really want to play Sagrada. A friend has it, but it just hasn’t hit the table when I was available to play it.

I do really like 7 Wonders Duel, and did play it for the first time in 2017, but it didn’t make my top list.

Really enjoyable, though.

Terra Mystica made my brain hurt a lot. I haven’t learned to love it yet.

Haven’t had a chance to play the others yet, but would love to sometime

1 Like

Terra Mystica was an interesting one for me. I’ve always been curious as it is so popular on BGG, but after watching the Dice Tower review, I lost quite a bit of interest as their opinion is that the game is a pile of Euro mechanics and point salad. I bought the app when it came out because I still wanted to learn what the hype was about and I honestly didn’t like it much at first. But then I started to catch on to the mechanics if not the strategy. I realized that I’d been buying a lot of Ameritrash games lately (like Rum & Bones, which very nearly could have made my list) and wanted a good Euro. I picked up Terra Mystica, taught it to my cousins, and enjoy it more and more with each play. TM certainly wasn’t a “had me at hello” game.

2 Likes

I got a ding right in the center of my 3rd edition copy and it is tearing me up!

Oh just the box, or the board?

Just the box. But it is no longer as pristine as the virtuous maids that Dracula prefers.

3 Likes
1 Like

I just posted my Honourable Mentions for games played in 2017.

At least one that I know we talked about. :slight_smile:

Until recently, I have never painted a miniature. Actually, I had never painted anything smaller than a wall. On a whim, however, I picked up Reaper’s learn-to-paint set and had an absolute blast learning a couple techniques like dry-brushing and washing. I was also immensely proud of the results as they look as good, if not better, than many examples I see online. I then picked up Reaper’s level 2 set (lining a shading), grabbed a dozen brushes at a hobby store, and raided my local game shop for a whole pile of Reaper minis. I have found that spending an evening painting is quite cathartic.

All that said, it takes me a good deal of time and effort to paint a single miniature. I understand that the hobby isn’t a quick one, but I can’t imagine ever taking the time to paint an entire game. When I open Blood Rage, I certainly wish the minis were painted, but I can’t even fathom how long it would take to complete the game. Perhaps some day I will work on my games with only a handful of minis, like Shadows Over Camelot, Fury of Dracula, Specter Ops, etc., but I may never get around to my mini-heavy games, HG Wells be damned.

All that said, I know that war games are a different sort of beast, so if I were buying some minis and assembling an army piecemeal, I may take the time to paint. I don’t really play games like that, though.

3 Likes

I don’t paint any more, and I find myself angling away from games with lots of minis. After jacking Warhammer in, I’m permanently soured on painting.

My current project is assembling this for Gloomhaven.

http://www.thebrokentoken.com/gloomhaven-organizer/

Thus far I’m getting more wood glue on my fingers, than on the joints, and I’ve only managed to successfully construct 3 trays in a week. (but I don’t have a lot of spare time these days)

2 Likes

I used Broken Token organizers for Caverna and for Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. I know glue was recommended, but I did not glue the organizers and I haven’t had any issues. Gloomhaven looks like a beast, though.

Yeah, the instructions for the Gloomhaven one lean more towards “You need to glue these, I pity your soul if you don’t” as opposed to “You could glue these if you want”.

My thousands of children and busy job allow me about 2 hours a week for gaming. I’ve spent about 6 of them assembling the broken token organizer.

4 Likes

How much did that set you back? After buying Gloomhaven I’m just not willing to spend any more money on it. I’ll make do with some folders and storage boxes, like a hero.

Battlecon: Pate of Undines is a bit of a mixed bag. It’s not a big box, which is great. It doesn’t hold everything once punched out, and it definitely doesn’t hold all the cards when sleeved. It does contain a good amount of gameplay from the looks of things (10 fighters) and the production quality is mostly okay (I said that in exactly the huffy bitch voice you imagine). Nowhere near as amazing as Argent though…

1 Like

I found that, before I bought the organizer, I wasn’t playing Gloomhaven because it was such a chore to find the right critters or token when going through scads of plastic baggies. Now that everything is organized and ready for the table, Gloomhaven has been out and played.

3 Likes

This is a form of abuse and I insist you stop at once. I am perfectly happy with my jumbled haphazard method, I say. Perfectly. Happy.

2 Likes