The Actual Table

TFM is probably easier to learn than either of those, but playing well is a different matter. It is however quite simple to pick up; playing the game can be accurately and completely summarised in just a few sentences. The turn order and actions are all straightforward, the complexities arise from card synergies, and the card tableau/board presence split.

2 Likes

Thanks!

No problem. If you’re really worried, play the standard (really the beginner game) version without the Corporate era cards. It makes the game very simple and all about terraforming, but in my opinion it’s a waste of time for most adult board gamers. The Corporate era variant was how the game was designed and how It is supposed to be played.

Quick run through of my first play of Call to Adventure (just got my kickstarter copy in the post today.)

It feels like you’re playing a fortune teller in a way, laying out the lifetime of a hero, from their childhood to their pivotal moment of triumph (or cruel defeat in my case).

The setup:

You get two each of an Origin, Motivation, and Destiny card (left to right), you then pick one of the two and discard the other, then get a hero card (think instants from M:TG), and three experience.

I wound up with a pickpocket, yearning for knowledge, with a fate of becoming a mighty warrior.

My opponent (solo vs The Warlock).

Your final encounter is the adversary you randomly select during setup. I had this jerk.

Act I Starting Off

Had two traits to either attempt to acquire, or an encounter with an ally stuck to it.

Act I End

My the end of Act I, I’d reenacted half of Aladdin.
My pickpocket had gained a Spirit Guardian (genie), had a brilliant plan to use it to fake being royal, and managed to win over the city guards with this ruse.

The jerk is halfway to victory (only needs 5)

Due to two failed challenges and a well timed harsh victory, I managed to feed the warlock

My real adversary

Act II Starting off

Two encounters and two traits

A few successful encounters, and another unfortunately timed harsh lesson lands, the warlock got his last two experience to win

Total jerk.

Crippling defeat aside, I’m absolutely in love with this game and look forward to playing it a bit more this weekend.

5 Likes

A much different story this time around.

Won with a Dragon blooded, honourable performer against The Wolf. 58pts with the couple story sets I completed (nature and arcana) and a large amount of triumph bonuses (the white diamonds on the cards)

Did I say it already? I think I did. Whatever. I’m in love with this game.

3 Likes

Posted my review of Architects of the West Kingdom. What an awesome game.

We all know it’s #4!!!

2 Likes

I got two games to the table this weekend:

Champions of Midgard is a great entry-level worker placement game. It is no more complicated than Lord of Waterdeep, save that you need to learn a very easy combat mechanic where you roll your viking warrior dice to defeat monsters. Yes, there is much more randomness in the game than a traditional worker placement game, but there are also some interesting push-your-luck decisions and ways to reroll the dice to try and mitigate the randomness. The game was easy to teach to my gaming group, who were all familiar with worker placement. To me, this game fits in the same category as Clank! where a basic mechanic is given a bit a facelift with some additional, and likely more Ameritrash, mechanics. The expansions look promising, but I’m happy with the game and look forward to the app that is supposedly planned for development.

Mission Red Planet wasn’t quite the big social game I was expecting. In a nutshell, you pick 1 of 9 characters/player powers each round in an attempt to place astronauts on mars in a small area control game. A number of the powers allow you to kill other astronauts, blow up ships, switch places with astronauts, etc. I thought there would be a lot more take that, a lot more laughs, a lot more friendly arguing, etc., but it was actually a bit of a stoic experience for us. On top of that, even though there are 10 rounds in the game, it doesn’t feel like there are many chances to move around Mars and populate it to take control of the different territories. In a way, it felt to me like 8 Minute Empire, which always seems to end way too early. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the game and production was great, but it didn’t quite do what I thought it would do.

3 Likes

On Monday, I posted my review of a great 2-player game about the Cuban Missile Crisis, called 13 Days.

I really enjoy the card play that’s similar to Twilight Struggle and love that it takes about 30 minutes.

4 Likes

Loved 13 Days when I played it a few years ago… hasn’t gotten to the table in a while though…

2 Likes

13 Days is very much on my wishlist. How is the learning curve? I’d have to try and teach it to my wife.

1 Like

It’s pretty easy.

My friend didn’t quite get the nuclear war risk in the first game, but I think after the second (and even third), it is pretty easy.

And the rules aren’t hard at all.

Not bad at all, especially if you’ve played other CDGs and grok the ops vs events type of play

1 Like

Yes, it is extremely easy and very quick to play, plus it takes up very little shelf space. Very nice little game.

1 Like

It may have taken two years, but the end is in sight. Currently on Game 2 of December in Pandemic Legacy Season 1

2 Likes

New crop including Menara (fantastic dexterity building game, perhaps best of breed), Path of Light and Shadow, Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles, King Chocolate, Resistor, and some others, as I’m having a board game escape next weekend. Remembered @Neumannium’s review of London recently, and am bringing that lovely 2nd edition with us as well. The recent edition of Condottiere is another must.

4 Likes

Oh, my…I just finished my first game ever of Terraforming Mars and I completely loved it. We played with the Prelude expansion. The game lasted about 2.5 hours, but part of that was just that we were playing at a leisurely pace and reading every card that was played. Some things I really enjoyed:

1. Great engine building. I always enjoy engine building games and this one seems to really give you the ability to put together an interesting engine, and based on all the cards, I’d imagine most games feel completely different.

2. The goals, or whatever they are called, is such a great mechanic. Being able to decide the areas that you can score in, but knowing that the longer you wait to claim one, the more it will possibly cost, is really cool and something I can’t remember seeing before.

3. The game felt thematic even though it is an economic euro game at its core.

4. My wife liked it.

I took a respectable second place and am probably going to be purchasing the game for myself soon.

7 Likes

Point four nailed it for me!

1 Like

Congrats, glad you like it. Superb game.

2 Likes

It took a couple years, but I finally played the learning scenario for Arkham Horror The Card Game. I made the mistake of including my wife. It’s not that she didn’t like the game, it’s that she didn’t understand it at all and I was learning as I played. The flow of the game, between the Acts and Agendas and even the locations, was great. We didn’t win the scenario; I was killed at the end and she resigned. I did make the mistake that I didn’t realize until halfway through that I could use any card on a skill check for its icons, not just Skill cards. Still, I don’t know how I would have won anyways. I’m definitely looking forward to continuing the campaign, though I have a feeling it will be a solo effort.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience playing this with 3?

3 Likes

The amount you’d have to buy for 3 to be viable with real choice for each player might be expensive (unless each player buys their own?).

In the meantime, I’ve been frakkin some toasters:

And disintegrating some Rebel scum:

4 Likes