The Actual Table

I’m accompanying my wife on a trip in a couple months. She’s going to a medical conference and I’m tagging along for the “vacation” though I don’t really know what I’m going to do other than maybe a hike or two and a lot of reading. I was considering bringing along a game or two with small footprints and am currently leaning towards Friday and One Deck Dungeon. I’m curious, though; are there any small solitaire games with historic or military themes (also that are readily available)?

1066, Tears to Many Mothers? Not sure how small it is as it requires a card line up, but it’s not massive.

The first thing that comes to mind is the new Armistice edition of The Grizzled. I haven’t played the solo game (I only own the original version), but the multiplayer game is quite good.

https://amzn.to/2Q69oF9

Also, I’ve found Osprey’s The Lost Expedition to be better than Friday if you’re looking for a “survive in the harsh wilderness” theme. Plus, they throw some actual historical folks in there and actual tribe names. It’s just flavor, but it’s something…

https://amzn.to/2Pb67PE

And, the updated version of Zulus on the Ramparts deserves a look as well:

https://www.victorypointgames.com/zulus-on-the-ramparts-2nd-edition/

4 Likes

Thanks!

Golem Edition has far superior art. Plan B is getting a lot of pressure to do a Golem version of Eastern Wonders, so I think we’ll see it eventually. The way that the 2 games combine into a third game is impressive.

I remember Plan B fairly unequivocally stating that Golem was a one-time deal. I agree that Golem looks much better and if all the fan pressure makes them do a 180, I’ll gladly pick up Golem and give my Century copy to a cousin.

They also said that they wouldn’t publish the original golem version when they picked the game up from Plaid Hat.

There’s a Plan B employee teasing people here:

2 Likes

Nice!

I’ll be playing this (recurring) role in December. :blush:

I’m getting into Friday, using the app (had the real game first). I really like the game and the app makes games easy and convenient. The UI in the app is a little odd, but it all works reasonably well on an iphone or iPad. There is more strategy that you might think (or more than I originally thought).

Can love bloom on the tabletop?

Is it going to be a Specter Ops re-skin, because that game was made to have the Metal Gear IP?

Don’t think so, different publisher. He could technically re-skin his own design, but apparently that’s not going to be the case.

Being with a different publisher never stopped Martin Wallace from reskinning a previous design.

1 Like

That’s a good half dozen Wallace fans incandescent with rage.

1 Like

I got some Scythe to the table last night. It was a rough start for me as I had troubles getting out of my starting area but I managed a pretty epic comeback and ended the game with a 3-star turn. Final points were a tie and I won the tiebreaker by one. A good evening!

1 Like

I did my November “New to Me” post with seven new games.

Architects of the West Kingdom is AWESOME!!!

Oh, and don’t forget to give. These Alpacas need our help…

1 Like

Hey, is the SP editor moonlighting over at Dude, Take your turn?

That’s what I was talking about! I think our editors are trying to “out-sarcastic” each other…

1 Like

I played architects a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. There was a good amount of player interaction due to the prisoner mechanic. I played a villain who could cancel debts with gold. Every time you fall off the bottom of the virtue track you take a debt, except this guy. I spent the second half of the game building buildings to drag me out of the negative vp section of the virtue track. I eventually lost a drawn finish to the guy who built the cathedral, as the tie break condition was most virtue. No regrets, lots of fun

1 Like