The Actual Table

4 Likes

I heard that there’s this new boardgame where you place your workers, you get cards to build your deck, you collect sets of things, and convert them into victory points. You do all this on your own player board in front of you , so you won’t disturb anyone else.

6 Likes

I’ve been in the 1 in 1 out club for about 3 years now.

3 Likes

This is what makes me think it is a me problem, not an everyone else problem.

Dungeon Fucking Fighter, to use its official title. Infuriating and glorious by turns, well-engineered to foil just the right amount of your throws, and capable of making me swear furiously/bite my tongue in front of children. Speaking of which, playing this with kids is a guarantee of screams of joy and tears, but then, it seems to be that way with adults too.

3 Likes

Just played this with the family yesterday! Infuriating fun.

1 Like

Well, down the rabbit hole I go. I resisted Lorcana for a while but I needed a last-second gift for my kids so I got each of them a Lorcana starter deck. They were immediately excited and actually spent time actually interacting with each other instead of squabbling. I brought them to a local game store yesterday to look through singles and I bought myself a starter deck as well to play with them.

I have yet to play a game but the product itself is good. The cards look great and information is easy to understand. The theme deck came with a booster pack and opening it was just as exciting as with any other CCG, with the added bonus that I know these characters. I’m not a Disney nut but it’s hard not to enjoy getting a rare Robin Hood or a goofy common Stitch and all that.

I downloaded an inventory app (Collectr) for my kids and they have spent some time adding on their cards. As a bonus, this particular app does all the big CCGs so they are putting their Pokémon collections in, too.

I can’t see myself spending Magic: The Gathering kind of money on this but I can definitely see myself buying a deck here and there and some boosters from each new set, especially if my kids continue to be interested.

3 Likes

Went down the (Jersey) shore for spring break, although saying down the shore pretty much implies the Jersey shore, as I think we’re the only people that say that particular expression. Wonder if people from south NJ say up the shore? But also, fuck those rednecks, who cares what they say.

Successfully got Sky Team out a few times with 11 and had fun; she only crashed us twice - she made a valiant attempt once but the dice weren’t in our favor, and once towards the end of our plays I think just dgaf and said the hell with it, we’re spinning out.

Tried to teach my wife, mother-in-law, and wife’s aunt (aunt-in-law?) Wingspan. Fucking hell, I needed a drink by the end of the first round. My wife grokked it easily but those two old bats were more obtuse than a pair of dickcissels. Made it through two rounds in about an hour, maybe more, before we threw in the towel in the name of feeding the kids.

Biggest hit was, predictably, Spaceteam, although my MiL managed to fuck that up too. Wife and kids enjoyed and it is a lot of fun to be yelling idiotic names and descriptions in a vain attempt to keep the ship together.

Brought Heat too, but after the Wingspan debacle didn’t even take it out of the box.

6 Likes

Played a bunch of new tracks. Aintree/Silverstone and Japan/Mexico, and I managed to win overall by virtue of coming second more consistently than anyone else, which is also the title of my sex tape. Heat happens to be the game which currently epitomises the gulf between the ‘I play these cards this turn, seems good’ people and the ‘I sacrifice two heat here, because in six turns I’m going to be heading into that corner in second gear, in last place, and I want to be able to cycle both of those heat cards back in to my engine for my finish line sprint, when everyone else is on fumes’ style of play.

We had a 1-chicane in Mexico that absolutely killed us, the heavy rain condition in Japan was a doddle by comparison. I never really managed a cohesive set of upgrades, beyond trying to pick things like wings and tyres that helped me on corners, which was nice. We also got some very forgiving sponsorships, and race conditions, which I made the most of. I also spun out on the first corner in Mexico. Shut up.

4 Likes

https://12punchboard.wixsite.com/umhistorian/an-unmatched-roster-1 - this is a good overview of the Unmatched series. As I’m looking at some more boxes, I’m always happy to dodge some of the shoddier ones.

2 Likes

War Chest. Lost all the games except the first. Fuck this excellent but stupid game. Need to get some 4P in. I also need a better storage solution seeing as the tray doesn’t hold all the counters if you have expansions, you can’t get it out without spilling them, and it opens and spills during travel too easily. Probably some form of poker chip holder? Everyone I’ve exposed the game to loves the weighty chips though.

3 Likes

Agreed 100% on the fuck this stupid game. I have one going on at BGA, and I swear the more I play, the more confused I get and the less able to form coherent strategies.

1 Like

Won the first game, played the second game with the same units and got my head kicked in. Just fuck off, War Chest. Get fucked.

1 Like

Down under, it’s our war Memorial Day tomorrow. As such the local wargamers have paid for a room at the Returned Services Association (RSA) so that we can play wargames. I’ll be in “Here I stand” which is Ed Beachs game about the reformation. The next day will be “Liberty or death” which is about the revolt in the 13 colonies. Ill be ending the last day with “War room”, which is like axis and allies with an unlimited design budget and requiring more tables than you can shake a stick at

5 Likes

Would rather play Quartermaster General five or six times than War Room again (in the same amount of time, I might add), but the other two are bangers.

War room does seem like a lot of tossing bespoke dice, which baffles me that they only included one set when theres clearly 2 simultaneous theatres of war. Ive an axe to grind with kickstarters, but the nickel and diming for extras in this game felt particularly egregious.

Hopefully the full table of players strategising adds a frisson of depth to an otherwise random game

1 Like

Been playing MTG a little lately on arena, but headed in for a draft for FNM at the local game store.

Haven’t played a lot of cardboard, but looking forward to it. Feels like a nice way to play rather than anything constructed

2 Likes

Thunder Junction is a cool set. As a blue player who likes messing with my friends, Plot is a fun mechanic.

Here I stand was an absolute ripper this time. The papacy stopped a protestant win with a single dice that needed to hit a 6. Then the ottomans won with 2 evenly matched sea battles before taking Tripoli with 2 dice needing a 5+.

Liberty or death was a dud due to shared victory requirements. The french lead all game leading to ahistorical metagaming. Im not mad, but the game felt gamey and non thematic.

3 Likes