Suggestions for XCOM for kids?

I have a seven-year-old whom I maybe shouldn’t have played XCOM in front of, but I have and he loves it. We spent yesterday afternoon making a Lego squad while his sister made Lego buildings to provide cover, and he’s been playing Lego XCOM since. Anyone have ideas on a good first tactical battle game for kids? 2DS would be the ideal platform, but Xbox or iOS are also okay. I’m thinking Warhammer Quest would be about right mechanically, but the tone’s a little darker than I’d like. Maybe Great Big War Game?

1 Like

playing self made Lego XCom an amazing idea :relaxed:
Lego should think about theme sets.

light tactical on 2DS: the classicals Advance Wars and Fire Emblem.

1 Like

If iOS (Android) is also an option maybe Mikamobile’s “Lost Froniter”

There are countless Fire Emblem / Advance War Clones out there but this one is one of the better/cuter one’s

As the story may be a bit to adult “3 Cowboys hunting down a fugitive Man” maybe Warbits is also an option. The story is totally risk free (as in nonsensical) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Both games are more Advance Wars then XCOM but they may get them kids to forget XCOM.

1 Like

My son is the same.
He (well…we) did the same and build a huge Lego Star Wars battlefield to play XCOM like.
We even used dice to resolve fights (hypothetically, because he always win for some reason).

He is now 8 but we played A LOT Warhammer Quest together and he really enjoyed it even if he was always sympathetic with the Orcs (killing bugs, spiders and rats was ok).

So Warhammer Quest worked for him.

Actually, last summer I bought Silver Tower and he went crazy about it, so much that he started painting his own miniatures and want an Orc army.
His favorite place is the local Games Workshop.

I’m pretty proud but I told you to alert you not to make the same mistake.
It’s damn expensive.

1 Like

Mature content-wise, I think Fire Emblem Awakening might be okay? It might be a bit wordy for a 7yo’s attention span, though. FE Fates: Birthright can be made more approachable through difficulty settings, but the story is more complex.

1 Like