Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/10/05/steve-jacksons-classic-ogre-comes-to-steam/
The original Ogre
was designed by Steve Jackson
way back in 1977, nearly 25 years before his own publishing company would become synonymous with a little card game called Munchkin. It's had several editions since it's days with long lost publisher, Metagaming Concepts
, culminating in a ridiculously gigantic new edition
(seriously, this thing weighs in at over 30 pounds) funded a few years ago, with the sixth edition
hitting shelves in 2016. Part of the Ogre revival includes a digital version which was just released for PC.
If you're not familiar with Ogre, here's the deal. The year is 2085, the world sucks, and AI-controlled monstrosities called Ogres rule the battlefield. This is a turn-based tactical combat game with tanks, infantry, hovercraft, marines, and the infamous Ogres all battling for supremacy. There's a hex map and...do I really need to sell this any harder? The theme and gameplay should be right in everyone's wheelhouse.
The digital port is from Auroch Digital
, the chaps behind the fun (and brutally hard) Chainsaw Warrior
titles. This one looks a little more complex and polished than those rather simple titles, however. The PC-only version includes...bah, let me just blurb it for you:
- Time-Tested, Compelling Gameplay: The Ogre tabletop game has withstood the test of time, captivating gamers for over forty years. This new release is the definitive digital edition of Ogre - including expanded G.E.V. rules for even more variety - and is the first digital adaptation since 1986.
- Meticulously Crafted Adaptation of the Original Game: Ogre veterans will be instantly be at home with this adaptation, while new players will find a deeply rewarding, turn-based strategy game.
- All-New Campaign: Engage in brand-new missions created in partnership with Steve Jackson Games.
- Multiplayer Capability: Test your skill against other players with online turn-based multiplayer gameplay with ranking and matchmaking, plus local "hotseat" multiplayer.
- Single Player Skirmish and Tutorial Modes: Completely new to the world of Ogre? Learn to play with our in-depth tutorial, then set up a custom game of Ogre and fight against devious AI opponents.
- Wide Variety of Units and Factions: Build out your faction with Light, Heavy, Superheavy, and Missile Tanks, G.E.V.s, Infantry, Marines, Howitzers, and Ogres (Mark I - Mark VI), while utilizing Trains and Command Posts as you see fit. Choose to play as either the North American Combine or the Paneuropean Federation.
- Varied Maps Offer Strategic Decisions: Roll through many types of terrain, across bodies of water, and make use of defensive areas to shield your units from attack.
- Playable Again and Again: Multiple game modes (including single player and multiplayer) plus achievements provide hundreds of hours of entertainment.
The game is for PC-only and it doesn't appear that any other platforms are on the docket. Oh, well. Time to test out Boot Camp on my Mac, I guess.