Steam: Rails to Riches goes online with asynchronous play

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2016/12/20/steam-rails-to-riches-goes-online-with-asynchronous-play/

I love me some Martin Wallace and Steam: Rails to Riches is one of his finest contributions to game shelves everywhere. A digital version was released last year from Acram Digital and it was polished and shiny with one glaring exception: no online multiplayer. Today, that’s been remedied. It’s just been updated to include asynchronous play and I think someone needs to organize a tournament.

Steam is a classic pick-up-and-deliver game in which you build tracks, upgrade engines, and turn towns into metropolises. It’s also a Martin Wallace game, which means there are loans, loans, and more loans, and you’ll never have enough money and will probably die alone and starving. If you’re lucky. It’s the classic “train-game” without the stock market complexities of the 18xx series of games.

Online multiplayer is asynchronous and cross-platform so Android and iOS users can play nicely together. They’re also trying to get greenlit on Steam for PC/Mac (you can, and should, go vote for them here), and I’m guessing multiplayer would play nicely with that version as well.

Steam is available for iOS Universal and Android and is currently on sale, so don’t wait to pick it up if you haven’t already.

https://youtu.be/YvE-pQxMFD0

No. Way.

Shut the front door.

You mean they promised to give us multiplayer post launch THEN ACTUALLY DELIVERED?

My whole world just got turned upside down.

This means I’ll actually have to learn how to play this one now…

Can anyone confirm the quality of the multiplayer before I pick this up?

1 Like

Ive set up an open room. I’ll get back to you as soon as Ive got something to report

couldn’t find your game in openings. already up and running, i guess.

@Hardco, i have played the beta. still no replays or log in the late stage of beta. so i’m not sure if the devs installed something like this for final launch version 3.0.1

in all other regards the multiplayer was running fine in the end.

i have created a new 3-5 player room called “Stately Play Room”
password is “StatelyPlay”

let’s steam up some engines!

Im being told by the server that the password does not match

update:
i abandoned/deleted that game and have created a new game:

Stately Play II (password: strange)

2 Likes

I’m in! Looking forward to this game

color me impressed!
i got a notification that the game could be started now.
but let’s wait on a bit for a 5th player.

don’t hesitate! one last slot free.

@irishdomer08?
@HolstenKnight?
@Hardco?
@Neumannium?
@Zebracadabra?

I’ve joined

I was too late I guess!

yes. sorry, Hardco.

i have started the game, but was shocked to realize that the setup “standard” is the pro version, which maybe the “real” game but is unforgiving (esp on newbies) and will result in much longer gameplay, because of many “bidding on player sequence” rounds.

so i suggest going the hard way to start a new game on basic setup.
or what would you say?
i’m so sorry for this :disappointed:

i have created game “Stately Play Basic” and will send the password to all players who had joined “Stately Play II” to ensure that they have a chance to get back to their seats at the table.

only @whovian223 is missing at the Basic table. but i’m absolutely sure he will come soon.

we can as well play both games. we could learn about the differences.
i’m ready to go in both games :smirk:

Ok. So i guess we wont play Stately Play II any further and you delete it or whats the plan?

cross post :relaxed:
once started i can’t delete.
each player who is up could abandon instead.

but see my post above. i’m ready to play both games.
we could at least play some rounds in SP II and then decide.

Im game to try either. I agree that the bidding will slow things down, but it looks like there are only 7 rounds of bidding. If we lose the bidding we also seem to lose the punishment for mismanaging your finances, as basic seems to pull money from thin air whenever you need it.

I’m in!

My iPad stays home and I can’t access the forums at work anyway (ask one of our illustrious leaders about that :slight_smile: ). I just got home and joined.