Stately Playthrough: Darkest Night 2nd Edition, Introduction and Turn 1

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2018/03/13/stately-playthrough-darkest-night-2nd-edition-introduction-and-turn-1/

Tabletop •

Okay, we’re going to try this again and see what happens. Yes, I know I abandoned the Liberty or Death walkthrough but I have several good reasons. Or excuses. Let’s call them excuses. First, right around Thanksgiving my gaming area was “ungamified” due to all the family stuff happening through the holidays. Secondly, I had to pack Liberty or Death away and, thirdly, I’m far too lazy to get it back out and set it up and whatnot. I was also a bit wary of starting up again using the format I had been using, basically my iPhone flying around the board. It made Liberty or Death feel more like the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan which means the shaky-cam feel was a bit too nauseating. So, it took me awhile to get this new format down, but I like it a bit more. I’m still working on getting my narration to fit what you’re seeing on screen, but it’s not too bad and will get better the more I do this. I will be getting back to Liberty or Death and the hope is to make board game vids (and even video game vids) a more common occurrence.

I know a lot of readers dislike videos in general. I get it. I’m trying to figure out how to not have these appear on the front page at all, but instead show up only in a new menu. Hopefully I get that working and this will be the only one that gets front page treatment. Also, they shouldn’t diminish the quantity or quality of the writing. For example, While this series is a walkthrough of Darkest Night 2nd Edition, I still plan on writing a Cardboard Critique and more for the front page, sans video.

Thanks for sticking around as I stumble through figuring all this out.

“Oppressive Gloom” Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

2 Likes

This is actually quite a good game video, Dave. I think you’re being unnecessarily hard on yourself with all the caveats. I don’t much care for videos on blogs or where ever, but I wanted to see what you’d come up with and found this very welcoming, well-paced, and engaging. It made me more interested in the game, which seems to me a success right there.

1 Like

I don’t like board game videos, usually. This is canny.

I really wish I had got in on that Darkest Night KS now. That edition looks amazing. Why I didn’t know it would be this good when I got the lovely Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition from them, I dunno.

“Welcome to the dark kingdom of Romancelyvania…”

1 Like

I’ve just stumbled across your intro film here, and I think it’s excellent. I’ve tried to watch a few playthroughs of games I might be interested in on Youtube but find them generally unbearably messy, but this one I watched through to its end. Almost hypnotic! The style is perfect, like a personalised manual in video format (I love manuals). And hey, I enjoy your writing and this has been enjoyably in the same vein.

I’m sure you have better things to do than put the enormous amount of time and effort it must have taken into it, but I’d tune in.

Cheers for that.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I really want to make more vids, but they do take a ton of time. I do realize that they’ll take a lot less time if I did them more often and got better at editing, etc. The plan is to pick them up again at some point, hopefully soon (I actually did get a new table so I can keep my game table and box lights up permanently again).

I’m not sure I want to go back to Darkest Night or LoD (but maybe I should?) Let me know what you think. I can continue those games or start anew with something else.

2 Likes

As a proud new owner of LoD, I’d love for you to continue that one.

2 Likes

OK!

I may have to restart from scratch…Otherwise I’d have to watch my own videos to see where everything should be and I don’t think I’d make it through 3 minutes of listening to that loser.

4 Likes