Stately Play Decathlon 2022!

It’s always a bit of a challenge to play “single action” games async, but at least in Concordia you can engineer “power moves” like building a bunch of cities or placing a bunch of colonists in one swoop.

Otherwise, sorry to hear @Hardco you aren’t a fan, but for me the combination of deck building, empire building, and trading is quite enjoyable - especially when you can achieve the aforementioned
power moves! :slight_smile: There’s also some nice decision points about whether to spend your resources on cards or cities/colonists, and the Diplomat card adds in a little “juice” around when to copy an opponent’s action.

Not trying to change anyone’s mind, of course, just providing an alternative viewpoint - Concordia is right up there with Gaia Project for 2022 GOTY for me!

2 Likes

The implementation is good, and I’d rather play it over something like Viticulture of course, but the decisions don’t seem that interesting for all the praise it gets. I’m sure I’m missing the high-level strategy, but it seems like you try to build in 2 places at a time as much as possible, trading and producing as needed to continue to build 2 places/purchase 2 cards. The most interesting decision seems to be when to get your cards back, and even then only as you approach the endgame.

I’m well aware any game I do like can be dismissively reduced to a one line strategy statement like this, but that’s my sense of the game so far!

Ah, but there’s quite a bit of decision making and strategy around where to build and what cards to buy because of the points mechanics:

• build in more provinces
  • build to get access to new resources
  • build to monopolize a resource
  • place more colonists so you can move farther and build more in one turn
  • buy cards that give you points for any of the above
  • buy cards so that you have more chances to do certain actions.

And almost all the cards have some strategy related to when to play them - either because you can get more benefit if you wait or take actions in a certain order, or because of what your opponents might do on the turns in the interim.

(Not to mention the fact that you can build as many as 6 new cities in one turn theoretically - if you are “only” ever building 2 at a time you’re probably missing out.)

2 Likes

that’s not enough to be able to win over strong players.
i have played in the Acram tournament and was amazed to see lots of brilliant moves by top players.

and do you remember when i managed to play such a big move (for more than 30 points) in the final round to overtake you on the finish line?
it was the culminating result of many calculations and long-term planning.
just like @Codington said that is where the thrill and fun comes in.

totally loving Concordia. but i must admit it’s demanding and a bit exhausting when you try to make the best of each move. not on the light side of games.

I’m sure I was being as reductive as those that say Through the Ages comes down to whoever has the biggest army! :smiley:

While I question the practicality of building 6 cities at once (I admit, I don’t build a lot of colonists), you’ve convinced me to at least leave it in my KotH list (if I ever get to play again!). I don’t actively dislike playing, I just haven’t found it particularly interesting…

1 Like

I think my max has been 5 cities in one turn? 4 for sure and pretty regularly 3. Which feels good but, of course, if you are leveraging multiple Architects in your deck and the Diplomat, it’s not necessary - and it always has to be balanced against the multiple turns it can take to acquire the resources needed to do a “multi-build”. The main point is just that there are opportunities and options to play different ways which tends to be something that gets me hooked on a game. Completely possible that you haven’t or won’t get to that point - to each their own!

1 Like

By the way - we now have to wait for Table 3 to finish since there is a guaranteed four-way tie for third place (34 points and 5 wins) - a crazy finish this time around!

3 Likes

Result for table 6, GG.

First time played with salt, really does add an extra layer of interest to the game

2 Likes

Precious, precious salt! :slight_smile: I also quite like the Corsica map (that comes with that expansion) for a 3 player game - nice and tight!

Table 5 results:

Good game, @JaneHatke and @Mirefox!

1 Like

Good game!

Hi everyone - just checking in since this last game has been going for a while - are tables 3, 4, and 7 getting close to wrapping up? Hope you are all enjoying Concordia!

@Baelnor
@Notsew12345
@doublebullout
@JMH.75
@SpiceTheCat
@HostileApostle
@js619
@JHTaube
@johnl

Our table takes days between turns, so ya it’s SLOOOOOOOOOOW! lol

We’re moving along but I honestly have no idea how to gauge where we are in relation to finishing. Hopefully soon - I think I hate this game more than Viticulture, and that’s saying something.

1 Like

Table 3 is a long ways off. There are 16 cards or 11 colonies to go.

We are past 2 months elapsed for the final game - hopefully we are getting close to finishing now?

@Baelnor
@Notsew12345
@doublebullout
@JMH.75
@SpiceTheCat
@HostileApostle
@js619
@JHTaube
@johnl

Table 4 is done. Gg @JMH.75, @HostileApostle. We weren’t the last :wink:

1 Like

gg!

We will be the last, no idea what I am doing and trying to take quick turns :slight_smile:

Table 7 is done. Thanks for the game @johnland @js619.

3 Likes