Stately Gaming Hardware

I personally really hate the notch. Really hoping they embrace the design for the next few years because if they figure out a way around it a year after I spend money, I’m going to be frustrated.

I messed with this a few months ago, but as far as I can tell, you need to enable Guided Access every time you start the app, then disable it to get out. That’s not ideal to pop in for an async turn. Am I missing something?

I guess not, but I found it super handy and fast, especially before a 5 hours session of Oddmar :slight_smile:

I’m probably getting an XR soon as an upgrade to my 7+. Budget is somewhat of a concern—I find it hard to justify the XS or XS Max. If I remember, I’ll post some impressions in here once I’ve had it for a bit.

One of the things I’m using to justify the XS is the camera. I do like photography but it is harder and harder for me to bring out my SLR and lenses when I’m wrangling the kids.

1 Like

Another question: I know this varies widely from person to person based on what each individual’s need is, but since Apple still has some asinine policy against expandable memory, do any of you have any ideas which memory option seems best for you?

It hugely vary from person to person.
Personally I always go with 64 Gb, I always have over 30 Gb free.
But I keep almost no backlog, I take a TON of pictures but the first thing I do is copying them onto the home NAS when I’m back home, I don’t store movies or music on the device.
I know people who struggle with 128 or more tough.

1 Like

I went with the 256gb, which is entirely more than I’ll ever need. The upgrade from 64gb (no 128 tier anymore iirc) was nominal - another 4 dollars a month. It’s nice to not worry about having to delete anything.

1 Like

Again, thanks to all the replies.

I got the XS Max and love it, but am also paranoid. After getting it, I’ve now been reading that many people are experiencing connectivity issues. I find that I have probably 2 bars at most times. The thing is, I live in a slightly rural area and my connection may always have been exactly as is, but now my bars are far more visible to me and I’m monitoring them more closely. I don’t know that I’ve had any actual speed issues, but after spending what I did I’m on edge that something is wrong…

I don’t have any connectivity issues with mine, normally. I have noticed that it sometimes takes forever to reconnect to LTE when I’ve been somewhere I didn’t get service.

The thing is that I don’t know if I have a reduced signal or not because I don’t have a baseline to compare it to. It could be that I’ve always only gotten two bars but I never really paid attention in the past. Pure paranoia on my part now.

1 Like

I’ve been ok on the XS - is it isolated to the Max? I also just switched carriers to FirstNet, so my service got exponentially better (suck it, Sprint).

From browsing around, it sounds as if it could be the XS and the XS Max. Nobody can pinpoint the exact problem, though. Apple changed antenna manufacturers, so some people point to that, but possible solutions could be either hardware or software related. Apple hasn’t actually commented yet.

Again, I never ran a speed test in the past and I never really looked at my bars. I haven’t noticed any drastic slowing on my new phone, it my bars are usually at 2, and if I sit in one spot I can often watch the bars jump around between 1-3.

I’m going to go to an Apple Store on friday to ask about it, but seeing that I don’t notice a difference other than with the icon, I’m going to just have to learn to ignore those very obvious bars up by my notch.

I just ran a browser-based speed test. I was showing 1 bar on the phone and got 50 down and 1 up. I ran a second test on a different site with similar results. Maybe the problem isn’t reception but the sensitivity of the icon? I don’t know. Forgive all my ramblings.

1 Like

Going to resurrect this thread from the dead to gush about my new Roccat Vulcan 120 PC keyboard, which may be the most beautiful piece of hardware I’ve ever purchased. It’s not as clicky as my Das keyboard was, but some of the keys on that were going bad and the lighting on the Vulcan is too pretty to pass up. The exposed switches and LEDs are great for longevity too, as none of the junk that gets in a regular keyboard can hide in this one. I read some complaints about the Roccat software, but so far haven’t had any issues (I haven’t tried programming any macros, as this is purely a work keyboard). Also just realized I may have something of a keyboard obsession…

eta: It uses Roccat’s own proprietary switches, but they’re comparable to the Cherry MX Brown. Might be the way they’re designed, but I’d swear the Das keyboard with the same switches was louder.

eta2: realized my Das had Cherry blues - no wonder it was louder!

1 Like

Looks awesome. I would have bought one in a heartbeat back in my LoL days.

I love the thinness of that. I bought a Razer Blackwidow about 6 months ago, and while I like it, it has software problems with OSX. It is also really high up, I like that thinner keyboard. I also have all sorts of color options on it, and it syncs with my Razer mouse.

I almost bit the bullet on the Roccat Leadr wireless mouse so they’d sync, but I can’t justify using a gaming mouse at work - I like my Logitech Master too much. I looked at the Corsair K70 too, and was almost sold on it since you can get the Cherry Blue switches, but… this thing is way too pretty to pass up. I really like how they did the small key tops on top of the switch, so the whole mechanical part of it is exposed. It really lets the LEDs shine off of the aluminum, and the effects when it changes color (on its own) have to be seen to be believed. Works smoothly with Windows so far, but I’m not sure about Mac OS…

As a staunch but stupid defender of Logitech Hardware, I swear by the G510s Keyboard but dear lord is cleaning them a pita… That at least seem to be not an issue with Roccat’s stuff at least

2 Likes