Stately Citizen Journalism

Pax Unplugged is packed. And it is way too warm in here.

1 Like

Yellow & Yangtze is out on iOS. $10. Iā€™ll download tonight.

I posted about it but for some reason Discourse is broken and posts arenā€™t making there way to the forums. Still working on it, but even the tech guy at Discourse has kind of given upā€¦

Anybody download Y&Y? How does it play?

I want to support Dire Wolf, but Iā€™m not sure Y&Y is my type of game (I really sucked hard at Tigris & Euphrates).

I have the same concerns, but Iā€™m hoping that if I can get my friends into Y&Y it will grow on us. Iā€™m hoping that the more modernized look helps a bit. No offense to Codito because I think they did great work early on iOS, but they arenā€™t quite up to modern standards.

1 Like

I have to say Iā€™ve also been waiting for a quality board game that I can buy for myself and gift to my two friends. I was hoping Terraforming Mars would be that game but Iā€™m just a little hesitant with some of the quality of life issues and the fact that if you step back and look at it, the game is somewhat similar to Througj the Ages, which we play constantly. Y&Y is different enough that is might be a good addition to the rotation.

Dragon Castle has also released. It is a digital port of the tabletop game and I know nothing about it except that it has a Mahjong aesthetic. The app claims asynchronous multiplayer, which is great. The timing on this one isnā€™t, though, as it costs $6 and is competing against other new releases like Terraforming Mars and Yellow & Yangtze. Definitely on my wish list, though.

1 Like

Apple Arcade now offering an annual subscription for $49.99 USD, per 9to5Mac.

1 Like

That took less time for them to go to than Iā€™d imagined. I thought theyā€™d wait 6 months.

I wonder if theyā€™ll bother to wait for a full year of the service to be in place before they start offering differently priced tiers of subscriptions.

So, if you are like me and got way into Civ6 when it was cheap, here is some more cheapness!

Go get Poland today! And the rest of the great priced ($0) dlc for the next week

5 Likes

Glad theyā€™re doing this againā€“I missed the start of this promo last year and didnā€™t have the Poland & Vikings packs as a result. Iā€™m gonna get back into Civ6 soon. Tried playing on my phone and it didnā€™t stick with me, but thereā€™s a new iPad under the Christmas tree to replace my woefully outdated iPad Air, which should make the game much easier to play.

2 Likes

iPad is the best way to play. I like it even better than the Switch on the TV if only because Iā€™ve had the Switch version crash a couple times in the endgame and havenā€™t been able to actually finish the game a few times

1 Like

Agreed, I like the iPad version much better despite having everything on the Switch too. The touch controls on the iPad seem much better to me than on the Switch, and it has no need of a physical controller.

1 Like

a new version of Wars of the Roses (Rosenkƶnig) has been published by USM.

the old app had been a victim of iOS 11ā€™s 64-bit compatibility in the app-ocalypse.
but it was updated later, could be played again and even got the invite-by-iMessage feature.
owners can still download it from the ā€œpurchasedā€ list in their appstore profile.

so what is the reason for a new version?
new features? updated HD retina graphics?
better online multiplayer functionability up to new standards?

the game had been popular in the old days on PT. we even played a tourney.
i would like to do it again!
take a look at this historical leaderboard :smile:

Nice!

(Although it does seem like paying for it twice ā€¦ )

This is a very underrated game. Itā€™s a solid design, and it lends itself to easy asynchronous multiplayer.

The translations have always been curious to me. The App Store listing keeps saying ā€œRose Kingā€ ā€¦ Iā€™ve literally never heard the game referred to as that even once.

Ready for a game :grinning: (JMH75 without the dot)

Very pleased to see myself up there. Iā€™ll bet 90% of my games were against the TheDukester.

@Zebracadabra and me have downloaded the old original game (2011) from our appstore ā€œpurchasedā€ lists and are playing a game right now.
and a great game it is!

iMessage invitation worked like a charm and itā€™s running perfectly. even notifications are functioning.
for a game that had been buried by the 64-bit app-ocalypse it feels very lively.

iā€™m not sure if the purchase of the new game is worth it?
the new graphics look like an exercise in wall painting.
the old graphics had that antique pergament scroll charm.

i guess the only reason to buy it again would be to be able to play with new addicts who never owned the old game and canā€™t buy the 2011 incarnation because itā€™s gone from public part of appstore.

so i would be ready to pay twice when a new tourney activity will arise here on SP.
for playing just friendly games with old pals (or for playing a tourney with only the old guard) the rusty old pan will do the job to roast my opponents.

but whatever version, itā€™s great to see that good old games can come back!

Itā€™s on Google Play as well, but I have no idea if it has cross-platform play.

Merry Christmas, all!

6 Likes