Spiderweb Software going where they've never gone before: Kickstarter

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2018/05/31/spiderweb-software-going-where-theyve-never-gone-before-kickstarter/

The hardest part of traveling is trying to get back into a normal routine once you get home. I’ve been home since last Saturday afternoon and still don’t quite have the usual rhythms down. For example, this morning I nodded off while trying to write this story and the small catnap turned into a 3 hour tour of dreamtown. The worst part: I still feel tired as hell. Anyway, sorry for the lack of content the last couple days. My malaise and confusion mixed with a huge job interview I had yesterday have made it hard to get back on the SP horse. We’re going to keep trying, however, and today’s attempt concerns RPG masters Spiderweb Software. They have an entirely new RPG world they’re itching to create, and have taken off for Kickstarter to get it done.

Leaving Avadon and Avernum behind, the new game takes place in the new world of Sacrementum and the game is called Queen’s Wish: The Conqueror.

...you are the youngest child of Queen Sharyn, the absolute leader of the Empire of Haven. Your mother has decided to eject you from your life of comfort and force power upon you. Your new home: The wild, war-torn land of Sacramentum.

To win the Queen’s favor, you must rebuild your lost colony. But will you? Will you crush the nations of Sacramentum and expand Haven? Make peace with them and earn a place in their lands? Or just try to escape from your mother and homeland?

It will be up to you.

Explore an enormous outdoors and a multitude of towns and dungeons. Fight clever, carefully designed turn-based battles. Meet three different fierce nations and deal with them with cunning, diplomacy, or (if you choose) violence. Build new forts and customize them, choosing among upgrades that give your adventurers powerful bonuses.

If this sounds awesome, welcome to Spiderweb Software. They use graphics from the 80’s and 90’s to tell incredibly deep and powerful RPG stories today. Their previous titles have all been fantastic, and this is their first title to go the Kickstarter route.

The Kickstarter went live on Tuesday and has already funded and then some, so it’s not a question of if we’ll see Queen’s Wish hit our monitors, but when it will be going live. The Kickstarter is for the PC/Mac version of the game, but they’ve already confirmed an iPad port as well. Not only that, but if they can reach $50K in pledges, they’ll also bring the game to iPhones for the first time ever. Considering that they’re already over $48k with 28 days to go, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that $50K is doable.

The Kickstarter states May of 2019 as a release date, but software is fickle and who knows if that’s accurate. All we know is that it will be coming out and it’s going to be one of the big games to look for in 2019.

https://youtu.be/tjQ7M0kTngw

$55k as of writing. I’m super curious to see the finished product.

1 Like

65k. At 75k he adds a whole new section to it.

I’ve found every Spiderweb game I’ve played so far to be tedious after a while, but this sounds kind of cool, actually.

1 Like

I think this has been my experience with every CRPG I’ve ever played, even my faves like Baldur’s Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. There are sections in every one of them where you feel like you’re just running around doing stuff to do stuff after the sense of awe wears off. I’m currently playing Pillars of Eternity so that I can get to Deadfire and, someday, review them both, and I’m having the same issue. I’m really enjoying it, but I’m at a stage where I need to level up a bit, so I’m just running through from quest to quest and running back and forth between areas to do stuff. It doesn’t help that the combat is pausable-real-time, which is probably my least favorite mechanism in video gaming. I could handle it a little better in the old Infinity Engine games because I knew the D&D rules like the back of my hand, so it was easier for me to sense when a pause and different tactic was needed (or when a certain spell would be really useful). In PoE, I still haven’t grokked the system completely and the spells seem…meh? I don’t know how to explain it, but I never feel like I’m doing everything I should in combat, and end up just selecting all my guys and telling them to just attack one guy, then the next, then the next.

2 Likes