Slay the Spire now slaying on Switch

Originally published at: https://statelyplay.com/2019/06/06/slay-the-spire-now-slaying-on-switch/

• PC/Mac/Linux, PS4, Switch

We’ve already talked a lot about Slay the Spire and just what an incredible game the folks at Mega Crit have put together. It was in Early Access for forever before releasing for PC/Mac/Linux in January and has been a staple on my hard drive ever since. I can beat the game (or at least get to the end boss) fairly often now, but the fun hasn’t diminished. Each run is a new experience and a new chance to try something a bit different. The only thing missing was being able to play on the go, away from keyboard or console. That was fixed today when Slay the Spire arrived for Switch.

If you’re completely unaware of what Slay the Spire is, shame on you. Okay, now that that’s over, let me give you the elevator pitch.

Slay the Spire is a deck-building roguelike in which you’ll progress through a randomly generated dungeon, trying to get to the end of the third level. If it sounds a bit like Dream Quest you have a pretty good idea of what to expect. There are differences (a lot of them, actually) but the concept of each game is similar: Build your deck, kill monsters, beat the Big Bad.

I’m not going to opine on which is better, but I can tell you that the art in Slay the Spire is at least 2x better than the art in DQ. Maybe even 100x better. You decide.

Bottom line, you should be buying Slay the Spire on whatever platform makes you happy. Or, be like me and buy it on every damn platform from every damn vendor. It’s good enough that I don’t regret any of them, and I’ll buy it again if they ever release it for iPad. Tonight, I play on Switch and I can’t wait.

2 Likes

I’m mad I forgot to request a code until this week, but I was always ready to buy it anyway. So excited to comfortably play in bed.

1 Like

Never played this one before (dodges tomatoes and other detritus) but glad I picked it up - lots of fun and really well done on the Switch with touch controls. Something to drag me away from Diablo 3!

2 Likes

I demand it on Android. It’s the last platform it’ll be out on, but I demand it nonetheless.