Shroom for two! Mushroom hunting card game, Morels, coming to iOS/Android next week

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2018/11/20/shroom-for-two-mushroom-hunting-card-game-morels-coming-to-ios-android-next-week/

iOS, Android •

I realize that mushrooms are merely the sexy parts of a gigantic microscopic decomposer spreading for miles under the forest floor, slowly digesting any and everything dead, but they’re so damn tasty. Seriously, I love the things and would put them in nearly everything if they didn’t cause all three of my kids to display their revulsion via dry heave noises. I’ve never actually gone and hunted my own from the wild because I’m ignorant and lazy [two qualities that define Dave regardless of activity -ed.]. For those of us who love the shroom, but aren’t devoted mycophiles, there’s Morels, a 2-player card game released in 2014 that’s making its way to mobile next week.

Morels is a quick, 2-player card game of mushroom hunting created by Two Lanterns Games and released in 2014. I’ve never played it, but that’s going to change next week when Mossbark Games brings it to life on our phones and tablets. As you can probably tell, I’m just trying to tread water and fill some word space here before getting to the blurbs…and…go:

First blurb comes from the game’s BGG page where we learn a bit about how the game itself works:

Morels, a strategic card game for two players, uses two decks: a Day Deck (84 cards) that includes ten different types of mushrooms as well as baskets, cider, butter, pans, and moons; and a smaller Night Deck (8 cards) of mushrooms to be foraged by moonlight. Each mushroom card has two values: one for selling and one for cooking. Selling two or more like mushrooms grants foraging sticks that expand your options in the forest (that is, the running tableau of eight face-up cards on the table), enabling offensive or defensive plays that change with every game played. Cooking sets of three or more like mushrooms – sizzling in butter or cider if the set is large enough – earns points toward winning the game. With poisonous mushrooms wielding their wrath and a hand-size limit to manage, card selection is a tricky proposition at every turn.
Next is from Mossbark and deals with what we can expect in the app (and, yes, it has asynchronous play!):
The official digital adaptation of the beloved card game Morels.

The woods are old-growth, dappled with sunlight. Delicious mushrooms beckon from every grove and hollow with many tasty varieties awaiting the savvy collector. Forage, sautée with butter over the fire, and cook your way to victory!

Elegant digital conversion of the card game by Brent Povis
Online cross-platform asynchronous 2 player games
Local pass & play
Solo play against 3 AI difficulty levels
Game modifiers: try a new way to play!
36 achievements to earn
Interactive tutorial
In-app rulebook
Translated into: English, German, French, Italian and Spanish
No ads or microtransactions.

So, there you have it. Another new developer is getting into the digital board game scene and I couldn’t be happier (mainly because they’ve made my job easy by creating a trailer and detailed press release. Yep, it’s all about me.)

Look for Morels when it goes live on November 29 on both the App Store and Google Play.

Ok, I’ve just been sent a review code for the game, but since I don’t have the vast network that I’m sure Dave has, I’m going to need at least one person to do a few async games with so I can do a review when it comes out.

Anybody interested in helping out a poor soul?

Edit: Maybe spoke too soon. The small print on the code the developer sent me says it’s only good in the US App Store. I’ve asked about getting a Canadian one (I’ve had an app from the US App Store before, and it’s really annoying have to switch back and forth when it needs to be updated).

I would love to help you out!

The developer got back to me really quickly and said it should work in the Canadian App Store too, so I should be good to go once it’s out (I’m not a big-time reviewer like Dave and haven’t received iOS codes early before, so I’m not sure if this code can actually be used before it’s out or not :slight_smile: )

Thank you!

Ok, I have the app now. @irishdomer08 I’ll definitely take you up on your offer when the game releases.

I’ll spend the next couple of days getting used to the game. :slight_smile:

Whovian is hitting the big time, getting early access codes and everything. Have fun you two, let us know how it goes (if you’re allowed) :smiley:

1 Like

LOL I wish! @irishdomer08 you don’t have a code, right? So we’ll wait until the game’s out?

Pull some strings and get me one! :wink:

I don’t have that kind of pull!

My friend ID in the app is WDPX5VLK

Just sent you a request.

Mine is KELJ7DPO

I didn’t get a preview code either! Whovian has become the master!

1 Like

Ok, now I feel bad…

(not really)

I have played 4-5 games against the Easy AI and it’s a pretty fun game, though very light.

But then again, so is Cat Lady and I love that one.

Landed on Google Play.

Posted my review of it.

We haven’t finished our game yet, but thanks @irishdomer08 for allowing me to comment on the multiplayer by trying it with me!

Of course, I’m screwed if it has the Isle of Skye issue of not showing the other player the end-game. I’ll have to edit if that’s the case. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My friend code is: WEL4YN8O

1 Like

Apparently it’s quite lucrative to post a link to my review on a BGG post that has nothing to do with the game. LOL

My code is KXPWM58Y

My code is MWLR70LN

How is it as a solo experience?