Review: Terraforming Mars

Just wait for the 30 second load times as you approach the end of a game!

2 Likes

Sounding like they released the beta without addressing any of the concerns raised. Not surprising, as they never responded to anyone on the beta forums either. Looks like a pass for me. Shame.

1 Like

Only to find you’ve loaded the wrong game

2 Likes

They at least added 30 day and 45 day timer options. The initial beta had 15 day max. Way too short for a game of this length - unless all players are really hustling and checking in often.

But after that…ya, nothing.

1 Like

I know people are divided on the game’s presentation, but I think it works. There is a lot of information in the game and most of it seems readily available at a glance. Text can be small on a phone, but I have yet to come across something I don’t understand. Granted, I know the game already so the way I view all the info may be different from someone new to the game.

I have no problem with the interface or anything like that.

It’s these multiplayer issues that are my main problem with getting the game. I just can’t accept them with an $11.99 CDN price tag.

I’m going to be posting about that today, considering I was really high on the app before.

2 Likes

I left a 1-star review in the app store and have been itching to go after Asmodee on BGG, but haven’t ventured over there, yet.

2 Likes

I left a 5 star review with just a minor note that the multiplayer could be improved. Because I give less about the multiplayer, I feel that’s more fair than review bombing with a 1-star like we are entitled to everything. I’d rather have this app than not. Irks me when people unfairly review bomb apps that are actually in reasonable shape. Leave a 3 or so if one really must, and of course detail what’s disappointing, but a 1!?. Don’t sabotage something that’s quite decent. We may not get anything in the future if everyone did that. All IMO of course.

I did it because Asmodee continually across all their apps fails to live up to the standards that are set by other companies for what a good app could be and they very clearly don’t care. They don’t update their apps, they won’t t modernize their systems, and in this particular case they completely ignored any beta feedback. On top of all that, they advertise their multiplayer functionality which is 95% of the reason I buy an app so when it is lackluster, nonsensical, and ineffective like this app, it deserves one star.

1 Like

Agree on your Textual feedback to asmodee but agree to disagree with the approach.

Btw I see a 3 star review saying the same thing as you, and the devs responded they’re going to “Work to fix the issue”. FWIW.

Here are my thoughts on it.

Tagged Asmodee on the Tweet.

Hopefully they will fix the issues as you saw in that response, @Shadowfax

2 Likes

Great, I hope they do. And I will adjust my review accordingly. I won’t hold my breath, though, as the issues they say they will work on are all things they’ve been aware of for months and have done nothing to address. We will see…

@whovian223 I didn’t even know about the issue you raised with even cards! Could you imagine sitting at the table for a game where someone can play card face down and just change the state of the board without any indication of what was actually being played? Yuck!

Well, you would hope that the game is keeping people from doing that. LOL

But yeah, it’s hard enough in an async game where it could be a day or two between turns to remember that you had 10 plants and now you only have 5 (or whatever).

If you do remember and notice that, it would be nice to know what card caused that to happen.

hello @whovian223,
in your blog you said: “I don’t really understand this because Ticket to Ride has wonderful replays.”

Steam: Rails to Riches (from Acram) has wonderful replays.
but TtR not so.
you can only tap on opponents’ avatars to see what cards they took or which tracks were laid. but i wouldn’t call that wonderful replays.

event cards in Terraforming Mars: i can’t see the event i have just played in the log (red card: hidden).
but i can see it in the “cards played” tab. i guess only because it was my own played card?
will keep looking if i can see event cards played by opponents.

games changing places in the “resume” menu:
tapping on the information button shows opponents’ names and colors and so helps to identify the games.
admitted though that we need to know in which game we are on without having to load game after game.

my verdict on TfM: great presentation, fantastic atmosphere, awesome gameplay.
potential to grow up to masterpiece status if some multiplayer issues will be fixed.
no impossible task.
so i’d like to stay positive: 4 stars. will gladly upgrade to 5 stars as soon as those issues will be addressed.

btw my Buddies group will play the game in an iMessage thread, notifying each other on turns. helps a lot.

1 Like

Hmmmm, I thought TtR had better ones. I’ll definitely edit that.

We’ve been doing a game with personal messages here on SP, and it does help keep things regular.

I just check in on my game with @JammaTal whenever I take turns in other games. Not ideal, but it works, I guess.

You summed up my greatest complaints with this one. The multiplayer housekeeping issues - lack of replay, not knowing which player is which color, and no idea which game you have a turn in so having to login into every. damn. one. - are inexcusable.

If I wanted to play it sync, I’d buy the cardboard version. The raison d’etre for a digital adaptation is to be able to play async - mic drop.

How is this solo with no familiarity with the game?

confirmative. opponent’s event cards can’t be seen in “cards played” tab, of course :roll_eyes:

so you are right, @whovian223, the handling of event cards is really a fumble which hurts.

to simply show them like all other cards would have been a better choice than not showing them at all.

1 Like