Race for the Galaxy heading to mobile. This time, for real

One of the things that I find rather interesting is how varied the approaches can be. In that game I had 24 vp tokens and a total score of 39, winning by 3 (I was surprised it was that close honestly).

My next game (again, 3 medium AI) I ran away with even more. 44 points, with only a few tokens. And I pulled from behind to win that one in the last three turns.

Since you brought it up, what’s the opinion on the expansions?

I think there’s plenty of meat in the core deck, but the expansions do offer a lot more options, balance, and mitigate some of the swingyness that you can get from good/bad starting combos.

The expansions offer a couple of other options that I don’t think get as much play, the rebel vs imperium ‘scenario’ and the takeover mechanic. Most of us here don’t play with takeover, I think @pitta does so maybe they can make a case as to why they play with it on.

Appreciate it. I think I’m going to stick with just the main deck a bit longer. If I’m still enjoying it, then I’ll grab gathering storm.

Takeovers is the biggest addition to the core game imho.
While other expansions ‘just’ add new cards and new combos, it’s basically more of the same, ie gameplay is basically a solo race against the clock (your opponent completing the deck) with no interactions whatsoever.
Takeovers add interactions between the empires, giving you the possibility to steal or destroy key planets in the opponent deck, changing fundamentally the gameplay flow (think RftG meets Star Realms).
Adds a new layer making the game more interactive, you now have to ponder when to use a certain planet, knowing your opponent can steal it, often completely changing the score.
Empire vs Rebellion is a Star Wars like scenario that just makes takeovers even more prominent.
Personally I like the game much more with takeovers on.

2 Likes

Interesting. Is the scenario from EvR part of the digital version for solo play? I had noticed the lack of interactivity. Truth be told, I’m pretty lousy at keeping tabs on what my opponents are doing. I might be better off without that, though I gather you can disable it.

I believe that in a multiplayer game, all players can play the expansions whether or not hey actually own them. I don’t, but perhaps you could convince someone with the expansion to start a game with you.

Yes Empire vs Rebellion is in the last expansion and you can play against the AI.
I love playing Star Wars against the hard AI. There is even the Death Star.
It’s the only mode where your opponent deck matters, some games are constant warfare.
I have always a takeovers game going on with @js619 maybe he can tell you something about it too.

I’m not sure you can play mp expansions you don’t have but I can invite you if you tell me your friend code.

2 Likes

I like having a game going with takeovers, but am also glad that it’s only one game… losing your worlds to a dominant military is often frustrating, especially when you’re not getting the cards to effectively combat it. FYI, I seem to have better luck playing the Imperium than the Rebels - for some reason I can’t get it together often when I play them.

You are biased because of our last game :stuck_out_tongue:

What a glorious game.

1 Like