Pixel Tactics Online is basically Pixel Tactics, but online

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/05/22/pixel-tactics-online-is-basically-pixel-tactics-but-online/

PC, Mac, iOS, Android •

I’ve never played Pixel Tactics from Level 99 Games due to the fact that the tabletop card-battler is two-player only. Two player games became an endangered species at my house the minute we decided to have more than one kid. Lucky for me, Level 99 is bringing the game to both laptops and mobile later this year, so I’ll be able to finally give it a go without ignoring one of my kids. Instead, I can now ignore them all.

Pixel Tactics is a card based game in which players will draft a leader from their deck, and then construct heroes to battle it out with the goal of killing your opponent’s leader. The game is turn-based and tactical, and offers a ton of replayability due to the fact that each player will have a ton of leaders and heroes to choose from each game.

The online version will be for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android and will offer cross-platform online multiplayer, but it will also have 100+ solo challenges to tackle if you’re a friendless bastard like yours truly. The game is a non-collectible card game, meaning that you’ll get all the cards associated with a particular campaign when you purchase that campaign. In other words, new cards come with extensive campaigns which can be purchased with real money or in-game currency. Each campaign will offer 24 new solo challenges which will also unlock new Leaders when completed.

Pixel Tactics is currently in closed alpha, but they are anticipating a 2017 release. How soon? No idea, but we’re going to dig into it a little more and see if we can find someone who will spill the beans. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, watch the wonderful Marco Arnaudo give an overview and his thoughts on the cardboard version.

This is a game I’ve always wanted to play but have never had the opportunity to. I’m looking forward to this, though I am a little wary about the in-game currency.

1 Like

This looks great! I hope the challenge mode is sort of like Neuroshima Hex Tactics.

1 Like

I don’t understand the naming convention.

4 Likes

It’s complicated.

3 Likes

Video from BGG looked really good. I like the puzzly-positioning aspect.