Pathfinder Duels

I’m pretty sure we were all thinking the same thing: If only there were some CCGs on iOS; the platform is perfect for them. Well it sounds like Paizo is looking to address the CCG-shaped hole in my iPad’s heart with Pathfinder Duels.

Sarcasm aside, I saw the announcement over at TouchArcade.

1 Like

This one, though, will feature simultaneous turns.

Maybe they will revive the Assassin’s Creed Recollection system. That was a great CCG that died too early a death.

The game just released. Between Antihero, Civ VI, and a moderate (and probably temporary) addiction to Arena of Valor, I don’t know how much time I’ll put in to this at the moment, but I’ll update when I get around to exploring. For reference, Eternal is probably my favorite digital CCG, so that’s the bar that Pathfinder Duels would need to hurdle.

Edit: My initial impression is “meh.” I played the tutorial and one more game. So far, the cards are fairly generic. You have your typical attack/defense, and keywords like “haste.” The game plays in portrait mode, which I actually like. Resources generate automatically, like Hearthstone. I do like the simultaneous play, and that the spot a card is placed on the grid determines its priority, but I don’t know if the game feels all that special. I love seeing beloved Pathfinder characters and art, but if they were removed and replaced with non-licensed generic fantasy art, I don’t know that i’d have much interest in the game.

3 Likes

Agree with everything, first impression is underwhelming but the Pathfinder connection buys it some time

Not sure if I’m doing something wrong, but Pathfinder Duel seems unplayable on iPhone X.
A lot of UI elements are outside the screen (not covered by the notch only, even the sides).
I can’t even complete the tutorial.

EDIT: yeah confirmed by the dev. Not the best start.

1 Like

Bounced off it after completing chapter 1. Just not enough meat on its bones to keep me, Eternal has most of my CCG attention, and Hearthstone just got me back with Dungeon Run.

1 Like

Played a few games of ranked and noticed:

1. If opponent rate quits, you don’t get a win. Game hangs
  2. Matchmaking is slow. Like 2 mins queueing slow.
  3. I enjoy the 6 cards grid and the changing up of locations. Quite neat.
  4. So… generic…
  5. Really random shop constructions. You buy stuff for your hero who is a card that can be summoned and impact the board.

I doubt I will go into it much. I think it assumes you know how to play hearthstone.

1 Like

I’m sort of digging it so far. The positioning is a nice touch. After a few games, I finally pulled off a neat combo of having my early spells buff my later minions … it seems pretty obvious now, but it was fun to figure it out.

I’m planning on giving it a shot and making at least one of my own decks.

It’s definitely rough around the edges, though. There’s bad grammar, misspellings, and shaky punctuation throughout the app. And some of the art seems low-res.

1 Like