Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/05/12/paradox-announces-new-city-builder-surviving-mars/
PC, Mac, Linux •
The current go-to city builder on my laptop is Paradox
's Cities: Skylines
. Looks like it's getting some competition, and soon, from...Paradox? That's right, Paradox is publishing another city builder in the near future, but set in the distant future, and I think both will coexist peacefully on my hard drive. It's called Surviving Mars
and it looks pretty freaking great.
Granted, it was just announced today, so we don't have a ton of information. We do know it's being developed by Haemimont Games, the guys behind the Tropico franchise, and that it's coming to PC/Mac/Linux in 2018.
The point, obviously, is to build a sustainable colony on Mars and the game appears to have a bit of real science mixed with something you'd find at Tomorrowland at Disney World. It also, at least going by the trailer, has a sense of humor, comparing landing on Mars to putting together an IKEA bookcase.
- Building a sustainable colony in space: Building on a planet not fit for human life challenges you to build a smart, functional colony. Bad planning isn’t about traffic jams, it’s about survival of your colonists. You really don’t want rolling blackouts in a city constructed in a place without oxygen.
- Individually simulated colonists: Each colonist is a unique individual with problems and strengths that influence the needs and behavior of the other colonists. Things can get really interesting if your chief scientists develops alcoholism after one too many long nights in the lab.
- Futuristic Space Dome construction: Retro-futuristic super structures housing colonists, factories and commercial buildings with their own “neighborhood personality.” Create colonies that value science over everything else, while tired workers drink their pay away at a local bar, or attempt a utopia among the stars.
- Exploration of Mars’ secrets: Inspired by the classic sci-fi of Asimov and Clarke, Surviving Mars holds many secrets. During each playthrough players may encounter one of Mars’ individually crafted mysteries. Uncovering these secrets might bring your colony great fortune, or terrible ruin. What is that sphere that manifested itself outside colony HUB B, and is it friendly?
- Randomized research tree: Combine static and random research through experimentation, which allows for a different experience for each journey through the game. Attain new scientific breakthroughs by exploring the uncharted terrain of Mars's surface.
- Unique retro-futuristic aesthetic: A sleek, modern take on the bright futurism of the 1960s. A time of exploration and adventure.
- Expansive mod support: Craft your own fantastic buildings, parks or even a mystery to share through Surviving Mars’s extensive and convenient modding tools. Share your finest creations with the community to build the perfect society.
Take a look at the announcement trailer below and we'll keep an eye on any new news they may have about Surviving Mars up until its release.