Nyheim - Digital board game

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.happyhobgoblin.nyheimgame

https://itunes.apple.com/lc/app/nyheim/id1154456580?mt=8

New single player survival themed digital board game. Played the demo for it a while ago and liked it, going to purchase this and give it a go later tonight.

1 Like

Play similarly to games like Elder Sign: Omens, and just as difficult if not more so.

STOP THE PRESS.
As Elder Sign is still my fav boardgame…all the alarms started ringing as soon as I read your message.

Can you explain more?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

It’s similar in gameplay to Elder Sign as you visit locations and roll dice with different symbols on them to search for supplies / survivors / avert bad things from happening. Your “party” is always one group of dice that moves around the map together instead of 4 separate characters. There’s a doom clock sort of mechanism in that seasons slowly pass with each move your party makes, making crises more likely to appear and failing 5 crises in a row will end your game. Each survivor you find can be added to your party (max of 3, but your first character counts as two dice, all found survivors only count as one additional die). Failing to avert a crisis or combat with the mutated rats will injure your characters, and two injuries and they die. You can rest instead of searching a location to try and reduce your injury or starvation cards.

You have a headquarters that upgrades over time on it’s own, but can be expedited by sending items / food / survivors back to HQ instead of taking them for your party. Development cards also appear in higher frequency when you send stuff back to HQ and these can give you a huge boost when they finish “being built”. Survivors sent back to the HQ can fill empty slots in your party if you lose a couple people out exploring. Food and items however are consumed and you can’t get them back from HQ. I haven’t won yet, but I think getting your HQ to level 5 is one of the win conditions.

All in all I’m very satisfied with the purchase.

I’m also very happy that it’s a post apocalyptic survival game that doesn’t have anything to do with zombies.

2 Likes

I’m also very happy that it’s a post apocalyptic survival game that doesn’t have anything to do with zombies.

Or the political process, eh?

I think we shall see a couple of Mad Max runs for Office survival games to hit very soon.

(My own has notes but really needs more balancing and art then I feel like putting into it :wink:

2 Likes

First time ever using discourse. Are the numbers in circles by the links in the original post the number of times people have clicked through? If so, thats a neat feature. In general, I’m loving discourse.

1 Like

YES! I hadn’t even noticed that, but that’s awesome.

Yeah, Dave has expressed that he’d be happier if you didn’t have to leave an article to comment on it, and I agree with that, but the Discourse team seems like they’re very committed to adding just a ton of quality-of-life tweaks, and really rethinking anything associated with forum interaction. I’m sure I’ll discover some frustrating bugs or something at some point, but I’m still sort of jazzed about it.

1 Like

Adding my praise forn Discourse.

It’s hands down the best of its kind, both mobile and PC/iPad.

Loving it.

1 Like

Never even heard of this. Between TA, the iOS feed on BGG, etc, how is that possible?

They had a kickstarter or indiegogo a while back but it wasn’t successful. They had the game pretty much complete just wanted to add more polish to it before release. Since it looks like it’s doing pretty well on iOS, I’d expect they be updating with user feedback and a bit of shine over time.

On sale for holidays, FYI.

1 Like