My house hates my wifi

The title says it all… My router is in a bad spot in a split level house, and moving it may will be more trouble than it’s worth. I’m thinking about upgrading to those new mesh wifi systems like the Amplifi HD by Ubiquiti -https://www.amplifi.com/ . Anyone have any experience, good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks for the link as I have a similar problem. The house is build cheaply and lots of old iron/steel trash used in the walls - I have really tough problems to get a good signal in the sleeping room. Going via powerline (piggyback on electrical current lines) also did result in crap stats…more often then not my iPad drops the connection when streaming or browsing. It bugs me to no end that the fstupid thing doesn’t try an automatic reconnect - no i have to switch applications and manually conect the wifi again…

So I am also interested in opinions…because it seems a bit steep in price to just go for the heck of it with this one…

I’m in the same boat… I’m using the Airport Express right now, with a powerline to my Apple TV in the master bedroom and the Apple TV in the living room hard lined to the router to relieve the wifi a bit. Still get awful speeds and throughput in the master when the wife and I are trying to stream at the same time, and even playing something like Ascension while she’s watching something gives it hiccups. House is only 2000 square feet or so, but was built back in the 60’s - lots of junk in the walls, I think.

I tried the Linksys ea9500, which looked godawful in my living room - like a spaceship or some kind of tank out of WH40K. I ended up returning it to Amazon - my signal was no better upstairs, and it caused all kinds of IP conflicts with Fios for whatever reason.

I pulled the trigger on the Amplifi; I figured I was already in the money on the Linksys, what the heck - I’ll just go out back and pull a couple bills off the tree. It was supposed to be delivered today, but I’m not sure it’s been released yet since Amazon doesn’t show it shipping. Damn preorders. I’ll keep you posted on how it works - hopefully it plays nicely with FIOS. They have cheaper versions too, if the price is an issue - less range, I think, is the determining factor.

The range is “less than 5 meters” :slight_smile:
The problem is signal strength and signal stability :slight_smile:

My Parents house was build after the war, so late 50s and early 60s where it was still common to use air raid bombed rubble to fill in as a cheap pimping to the cement. They have the same router and they can hit nearly everything. My house is from the late 70s and they used cement/iron/steel only but themetal stuff is plain living hell for wifi signals. Everything is fine in the living room. Everything else…not…

So I am curious about the results…do tell if the chance comes by :slight_smile:

Sorry, by “speeds” I meant signal - poor signal means low throughput. Minor update, the Amplifi is back ordered until after 7 Wonders digital releases (i.e., never), so I canceled it and went with the Eero. https://eero.com/

Little pricier but I have a feeling my wife will object less to the looks of it, and it also has very high reviews. The Google Wifi is well regarded as well at a cheaper price point, but is 1) all sold out, and 2) I don’t trust the Google data grab.

Eero should be here tomorrow, I’ll try to post impressions by Thursday.

Prinny, I’m just curious… Are you using a “Speedport” as Router?
Asking because I also had troubles with those

nope,

AVM Fritzbox (7330 then 7490)

Gotta say I’m in love with the Eero. Installed it this afternoon, probably took all of twenty minutes, if that.

Put one in the living room, second floor and left side of the house; one in the office / spare bedroom on the third floor, middle of the house; and one in the family room on the first floor, right side of the house. Note that it’s a split level, so the floors are only separated by 6 or 7 steps.

Hard to compare the main router to my old Airport, but I can say that my dead spots are gone, and in the master bedroom where I was lucky to get 20/20 I’m now getting 151 down and 132 up.

Well worth the (large) cash outlay.

1 Like

@js619 Thanks for all the info. In my house, the wifi is mediocre in our soon-to-be office and horrendous in our master bedroom, so my wife and I are considering shelling out some cash to upgrade. It’s good to know the Eero is worth it.

Well worth it. Amazing how well it just works; I thought I might have had to move some of the hubs around for better signal, but I’m happy with where they are. I did a lot of research into the different systems too - Luma, Orbi, Amplifi, and Google Wifi. Discounted Google and Amplifi because of lack of availability, plus my Google privacy concerns. Eero got better reviews than Luma, but from a lot of what I read the Orbi was slightly faster and less expensive than Eero. Ultimately, I thought that the three hubs in Eero would be better for my house than the two with the Orbi, and the Eero hardware is nicer and less obtrusive looking.

Let me know if there’s anything specific I can answer? The Wirecutter and Wall Street Journal both had good articles comparing the different systems if you’re up for googling.

This is the first I’ve heard of any of these technologies, but they seem like exactly what I need… Unfortunately, it doesn’t even look like the Eero or Google Wifi are even available in Canada yet. The Orbi is available, but I feel like 2 hubs would be insufficient, as I’ve consistently had dead spots in the basement. I don’t know if I could justify the Eero though, that’s pretty steep, especially after the exchange rate.

I thought I saw that Eero is available in US and Canada? Maybe I was mistaken - and the price is definitely a detriment. Thankfully I had an Amazon credit that helped with that…

The Eero 3-pack is currently on sale for 25% off on Amazon, so I pulled the trigger on an early Christmas gift to me, from me.

1 Like

Anyone know how Eero interacts with Fios TV?

I have FIOS, but internet only - who has time to watch tv lol? My understanding is that is you have FIOS TV, you have to use the Quantum Gateway router they give you… but… you can put the router into bridge mode and then the FIOS router will only serve to bring the signal to the Eero… or something like that. I’m not 100% about what’s involved, I just remember reading something about it when I was researching. If you call Eero support, they were very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful - they should be able to help.

Actually, I found it -

Setting up eero with FiOS
FiOS Internet
If you’re using Verizon for Internet only, then you can set up eero normally. Just follow the instructions in the eero app and plug your primary eero directly into your modem (replacing your Verizon router if you have one).

FiOS TV
If you are also using a FiOS TV, you’ll need to maintain your FiOS router since it broadcasts a signal directly to your TV set-top box. You’ll need to put your eeros in bridge mode if you want to continue accessing all the features of your FiOS TV.

Bridging your eeros enables the FiOS router to manage the routing of your Internet signal. The only downside to this setup is that your advanced networking features will still be controlled by the FiOS router and thus can’t be controlled via the eero app.

How to set up your eeros with FiOS TV:

Plug one of your eeros into your FiOS router—not your modem, as the default instructions in the eero app suggest. This will be your Primary eero
Follow the setup instructions in the eero app
After your eero network is set up, navigate to the hamburger menu in the top left corner of the eero app
Select ‘Network settings’ from the menu
Tap ‘Advanced settings’ at the bottom of this screen. Then tap ‘DHCP & NAT’
Toggle to Bridge mode by tapping ‘Bridge’.

1 Like

Saw that too… sigh… what I get for being impetuous. Let me know how it works for you!

Got my eero today, just set it up, and started streaming videos in previously dead zones just for fun. I’m absolutely thrilled–thanks again for this thread. You’ve improved my quality of life. :grin:

1 Like

Alright, you guys got me with the sale. I even had to ship it to family in the US, but hopefully I’ll have it in a few weeks…

2 Likes

You’re going to love it - best thing I’ve bought in a while…