Luca Redwood is back with Photographs, coming in 2018

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/12/15/luca-redwood-is-back-with-photographs-coming-in-2018/

iOS, Android, PC/Mac/Linux •

There are mornings when I wake up and read press releases and really wish Owen were around. Today is one of those days. There weren’t too many developers that Owen appreciated more than Luca Redwood, whose 1000000 and You Must Build A Boat were always on his top whatever lists. Luca has a new game in the works, Photographs, and it’s unlike anything else he’s done. Maybe unlike anything anyone has done. I know I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Photographs is a puzzle game that isn’t a puzzle game. You’ll spend your time solving puzzles, but as you do so you’ll realize that the puzzles aren’t really the game’s driving force, it’s the narrative.

The game revolves around five different stories, each consisting of increasingly difficult puzzles. When you finish one story, you move to the next which has completely different mechanisms. Again, the big reveal is the stories themselves which Luca tells me will be quite dark and unlike anything we’ve seen on the App Store. Considering how dark some games can be, I might be too scared to actually give this one a go.

We don’t know much more at this point, other than the pixel art is being done by Octavi Navarro and the soundtrack is by Ben Prunty. We also know it’s coming in 2018 for iOS, Android, and PC/Mac/Linux. Oh, we also have a trailer. Enjoy!

2 Likes

The claim that it’s darker than others is scary, considering how my character was drowned in a puddle last night in Inside…

eta, other than the fact that it has pixels, I have no idea what’s happening in that trailer.

1 Like