Lanterns: The Harvest Festival Arrives on Mobile

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2016/11/02/lanterns-the-harvest-festival-arrives-on-mobile/

I’m generally not a big fan of abstract board games and, despite its attempt at theme, Lanterns: The Harvest Festival is an abstract game. That said, it’s a very pretty one and a game that looks like it would be perfect for chilling out on the couch in front of a fire. It’s pretty enough that I plan on giving it a go later today which is completely possible due to it being released this morning for both iOS Universal and Android.

Gameplay itself is rather simple. Each player places a tile filled with different colored lanterns onto the table trying to create sets which will score you points. That’s it. The digital version is quite polished with relaxing visuals and music and includes both AI for solo games and online multiplayer as well. No word on whether that’s asynchronous or not, however.

Lanterns is from mobile newcomer, Dire Wolf Digital, and it will be interesting to see if this leads to other tabletop or strategy games from them in the future. Want to grab Lanterns: The Harvest Festival? Do so at the links below:

The app does indeed have async online play.

One note - the app adds a number to the username you register. So, for example, to add me to your friends list you have to use “robthomasson+4882” and not just the “robthomasson” I used to register. That tripped us up. You see your added number top right of screen when you are logged in.

2 Likes

Good to know! Thanks for the info.

The number added to your name tripped me up as well. Bought this on a recommendation from my usual gaming buddy at work, and I have to say, this is well worth the $4.99. The app is really well done and nicely polished, with beautiful graphics and soothing sounds. It looks simple, but after a few plays, the underlying strategies start to rear their heads. I’ve played a few two player and a few four player games; the AI is decent, at best. I have yet to lose to it.

I think 2p is the way to go in this one - with 4p there’s too much going on to formulate a strategy; there’s a good deal of fuckery involved in 2p, which makes for a fun strategic game. This one made it into my usual rotation. I’m js619 on there, no idea what the numbers after my name are. Have to look later.

eta: I’m js619+8229 if anyone wants a game

You will have to tap the circular item in the top right of the screen to see “Your Friend Code” which is username plus your assigned number. The username display next to the circular item no longer shows the number which will make discovery of the need that bit harder for newcomers.

A pity in such a smooth app. My only other wish is app badge icon notifications.

Is it async?

Yes.

Also Pass and Play.

Quite. It’s quick enough to play sync too, you just can’t watch the other turn till after it’s finished, akin to LoW.

I’ll go ahead and buy it, then.