Knizia's Confrontation

So, Confrontation is on sale for 2.99, it’s lowest ever. There are virtually no reviews for this game anywhere, but I did find one from 18 months ago, written by one @rinelk. It included this gem that nearly made me spit coffee all over my iPad:

In a blessing to those who must type the name of the game, they’ve done so without the Tolkien license, so it’s just Reiner Knizia’s The Confrontation, which I’ll henceforth abbreviate to RKC. At least it’s not TLOTRTC, or I’d be in danger of unintentionally summoning an elder god of Mexican origin.

That’s comedy, folks.

At any rate, I’ve had this on my watch list for ages, but never grabbed it. Has it improved at all over time, Kelsey? Is it worth picking up for solo play?

2 Likes

I redownloaded it and played a game. It’s really not bad. It’s had a bunch of updates addressing bugs and tweaking the UI, and it felt pretty natural to pick up (though it’s been long enough that I’m not sure I remember exactly what about it felt awkward). I was able to beat the hard AI, but it didn’t do anything totally foolish and outplayed me on several occasions. It looks like you’re only going to be able to play other humans online by appointment, as it looks like it’s still synchronous-only. I never really bother with that. But, for the reduced role of playing the AI until you’re pretty decent at the game, it’s quite good.

Puts good UI in perspective, though. They’ve been tweaking the feel of things for over a year to get it feeling responsive. Admittedly, it’s probably a small team working when they have a chance, but still. Our fingers are very picky.

Are you saying it is still tough to get taps to register? The number of times I’ve played an iOS game for the first time and found that it was almost impossible to get a tap to register is surprisingly high…

Nope. It felt good–no difficulty getting anything to happen.