Just when you thought we'd covered everything on Steam today, have you seen Space Tyrant?

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2018/02/27/just-when-you-thought-wed-covered-everything-on-steam-today-have-you-seen-space-tyrant/

PC/Mac/Linux •

I know it has already been a rather silly day on Steam what with Subset Games launching their first title since FTL took the world by storm and Handelabra unleashing a new, very un-Sentinels-like card game. Brace yourselves. Those aren’t the only two cool looking games to land on Steam today. Thanks to BitGamerX we also learned about Space Tyrant which looks like a sci-fi 4x designed by chaos-loving aliens. To be fair, we don’t yet know for certain that Blue Wizard Digital isn’t comprised of chaos-loving aliens. We’re working on it.

Space Tyrant is a sci-fi 4X title that gets right to the point. Gone are any victory conditions for diplomacy, technology, or culture. Instead, every battle will be a fight to be the last one standing. It’s a death match, and the winner will be the one who crafts the biggest fleets, conquers the most planets, and uses the most of their gray matter to outwit the enemy.

The presentation is over-the-top, gleefully wallowing in its grimdark premise albeit with a cartoony flair.

Features
  • Tactical combat!
  • Strategic scheming!
  • Grimdark grimness!
  • No cultural victories! No diplomacy! In Space Tyrant there can be only slaughter!
  • Tons of excellent space cards to play!
  • Space aliens!
  • Space police!
  • Simplified, easy-to-grasp 5X (eXplore, eXploit, eXpand, eXterminate and eXsanguinate!)
  • Swift gameplay means quick deaths and lightning-fast victories!
  • Hours upon hours of space strategy delivered steaming-hot into your gaping tentacular maw-orifice, the way you demanded it!
It also promises that you can finish a complete game in about 1/2 hour, which seems a bit short for a 4X title, but Polytopia pulled it off so maybe I'll just shut the hell up. Who am I to argue with someone who wrote the words "gaping tentacular maw-orifice"?

Blue Wizard Digital is a group made up of ex-PopCap devs, so these guys know how to make entertaining, addictive games and they also aren’t afraid to call Electronic Arts a “necrotic empire”, so plenty of reasons to like them right up front. Space Tyrant has been available via Early Access for quite awhile now and it still manages to have a pretty high rating on Steam. Today’s the official release date, however, so you can pick it up for a special launch price of 20% off through March 6.

Oh, and if you’re wondering (and I know the Stately Players [I hate you -ed.] are), Space Tyrant is an entirely solitaire affair. No multiplayer, so if you were hoping to punish your friends you’d best move along.

https://youtu.be/nDWkc_KVB-Q
2 Likes

All the web’s a Stately Stage…

2 Likes

This game is excellent! It doesn’t have similar gameplay as Plants vs. Zombies. But if you remember how that game made you feel when you first started playing it, that’s what you can expect with this title. It oozes character and (tyrannical) charm!

1 Like

Hey, Stately Music Players (yuk-yuk), what’s the song in the trailer? Or is it an original made by the game studio?

We’ve got music people here, right? How about you, @OhBollox?

2 Likes

Jesus CHRIST! That was fast.

1 Like