Hardware Discussion

hmmm, I did not know about Amazon’s trade-in program. Just found it. I might have to take advantage of that.

1 Like

ok, bought the eeros pro 6, and it will arrive on Tuesday. It looks like there are some extra steps to take to set it up with the Fios, but hopefully it will still be easy-ish.

2 Likes

Eero up and running, no problems, and much better data on the 3rd floor. Thanks for the rec.

3 Likes

Anyone have wireless security cameras?

I have a wired set of 8 right now that I have had for a couple years, but the DVR that came with it broke within the first year and Zmodo sucks as a company and would not replace it. I think they purposely plan for it to break to try to force me into a $45 a year cloud fee per device…no way.

The Amazon Blink devices are $10 a month for unlimited cameras at a single location, so that seems better, but the reviews are really mixed.

I have the alarm.com system; their cameras are Wi-Fi based and AC powered. They’re ok, not great, but they’re tied to the alarm system, which is a double edged sword.

Does anyone have a headset suggestion? I just found out that at a meeting I’ll be required to use a headset. I was looking at the Corsair HS50 Pro and the HyperX Cloud Stinger as options (suggested by Wirecutter and not too expensive).

On my PC, the one USB port will be used by the webcam, so it needs to work with the headphone jack.

HyperX kit is always solid. I’ve stood on my set and they work fine. They’re not heavy and they only begin to pinch on the ears after a few hours. Excellent value for money.

FWIW, I’d been using some Orbi units up to mid-December, when the base unit bricked itself — power-cycling it didn’t help. I was able to restore a working setup after going through factory reset and reconfigure, but that was the last straw; I’d already not been very happy about stability, to say nothing of the generally third-rate admin GUI.

I didn’t particularly want to go eero, basically because I don’t trust Amazon not to spy on me, plus I don’t want something that depends on a phone app for configuration. After some research I ended up with ASUS ZenWifi XT8, which I do quite like after a couple of weeks with them … but there’s one pro tip you gotta know: the last couple of firmware releases are a bit unstable. Go to their website, get the 42095 firmware release from a few months back, and you’re golden. (h/t to https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-ax-routers-adapters.56/ for that one, I’d never have thought to try it myself. In general, snbforums is a huge resource for wifi and local network management.)

1 Like

Someone refer me to a good divorce attorney, I just bought an xbox X.

$499 on amazon for prime members, ends today.

3 Likes

Yeah, I got a PS5 about a month ago and grabbed Elden Ring when it launched, so I’m in the same boat…

1 Like

Same friend that made me buy the xbox just bought that too, he’s having a lot of fun with it. Your thoughts?

As much as the idea appeals to me on paper of a big open world to explore I rarely find myself enjoying open world games that much. I also always wanted to enjoy the Soulsborne games but have never been able to get into them all that much.

All that said, I am having a blast wandering the world in Elden Ring. I haven’t enjoyed exploring an open world like this since Breath of the Wild. I am still terrible at the game and haven’t even finished the first legacy dungeon but I’ve grinder enough that not everything can kill me instantly. For me, it’s all about the exploration; I feel like I see something new every time I play the game.

I can’t honestly say I’ll play through the end only because I’m bad at games and the challenge may prove to be too much, but my interest hasn’t waned yet and I’m always excited to fire it up and see what nightmarish corner of the world I can explore today.

There are others here playing it and I’m sure some would like to talk about it if you ask over on the What Are You Playing thread.

2 Likes

I could’ve written your first paragraph about open world games lol! Elden Rings is on my list, ngl.

I feel like Game Pass made my Xbox X a good buy. I wasn’t sure it would be when I bought it, but I was tired of trying to get a PS5 and had a chance.

Game pass has been consistently good value for years if you like playing a variety of games. I believe it’s now bundled with a free pc game pass, that and console exclusives launched straight to game pass make the service a no brainer

1 Like

Both of my irl friends that game have Xbox, so that kinda made the decision

1 Like

Apple just raided my wallet… I’m due for a new phone, so had already planned on getting the 14 Pro. Debated the Pro Max for a bit, but I think the lack of pocketability outweighs the slightly larger screen.

Hadn’t planned on a new watch since my Series 5 is still chugging along, but damned if the Ultra isn’t super impressive and very sharp looking. Bit the bullet on it along with an extra band… now to renew my scuba license so I can play with the dive computer lol.

4 Likes

Wait, I missed that they are dive rated now? That’s making me consider an upgrade, too.

I will be upgrading from the 11 Pro to the 14 Pro.

Also, my daughter turns 10 this month, and has one other friend with a smart phone, but I think that gate is going to open amongst her friends in the next year. So she gets my 11 Pro this month when I get my 14 Pro.

1 Like

Yup, the Ultra is. Has a built in dive computer and auto detects when you’re diving as well.

From 9to5Mac:

• Apple Watch Ultra*

Yes, we knew the design features, but the Apple Watch Ultra still managed to make itself a must-have for outdoor enthusiasts and athletes. It’s a very well thought-out feature set, right down to things like turning the display red in the dark to avoid losing night-site.

• Dive computer*

The biggest unexpected feature was a full dive computer! I’d expected to see some underwater features, but to have the ability to completely replace a fully-fledged scuba-diving watch is amazing. From monitoring time at depth to calculating and alerting decompression stops means that for many recreational divers, this will be all they need.

Indeed, the inclusion of crowd-sourced data like hyperlocal dive conditions mean that in some cases it may be better than any of the existing dive computers out there.