Games you wish had a (better) digital version

So, aside from 7 Wonders, what’s that game you wish had a digital version, or maybe the one you wish had an improved version?

For me, I love playing digital versions of deckbuilders, because it eliminates all the setup and shuffling. It’s supposed to have been in the works, I think, but I’d love to see a digital version of Legendary. I hav the physical game, but hav only played a handful of times because setup is such a pain.

As for a better version of an existing app, Donald Vaccarino’s Kingdom Builder has become one of my most played games on iOS. But it’s a 5-star game with a 2-star app. No expansions available, buggy (difficulty selecting certain spaces), minimal graphics (though not unpleasant), no music and little sound, questionable AI (medium frequently outperforms hard), occasional soft locks.

Kingdom Builder is as spare as an app can be, and I believe that with a better implementation it would rank with the likes of Carcassone as one of the best apps available, because the game itself is easy to pick up and plays quickly.

3 Likes

Lord, I’d heart some digital Labyrinth. I’d consider parting with an appendage to make it happen, honestly. I’m holding out hope that the GMT/Playdek partnership on Twilight Struggle leads to Labyrinth…

1 Like

My short “want! waah!” list: Mage Knight; Android: Netrunner; Game of Thrones LCG; Elysium; isotropic Dominion back again (wistful sigh). The long list has moderately obscure Wallaces on it like Struggle of Empires or Last Train to Wensleydale, but I realise just how implausible that is, and am grateful for the Steams and Brasses we do have.

2 Likes

I just recently discovered Kingdom Builder during the last sale, and I’m really loving it! I do wish it had the expansions and was a better app, but the game itself…wow, what have I been missing all these years?

I also agree on Legendary. Can’t wait to see what they do with that.

For my wishlist, I’d say Castles of Burgundy just so I wouldn’t need my computer to play it async (yes, I know BJX and Yucata can be played using your browser on the iPad, but I find it difficult sometimes)

1 Like

i absolutely agree on all what you said on Kingdom Builder, @Misguided!
great game, app a shame :tired_face:
has it async MP at all? i can’t remember in the moment, as i haven’t played for a long time. but i think it was a total fail, right?

other games in the “we need a better app!” department:
yes, Dominion! Glass Road (what a fail)!
Eclipse with replays is a great game now, but we still need private games!
(password protection like in Steam and Brass would be perfect. forget about GC invites! GC friendlists are outdated by now.)
i liked to play Kramer’s Hacienda, but no MP and pulled from appstore.
Through the Desert! a real gem, but only live MP.
Stone Age! one of the best, but abandoned. no MP with new friends.
Dominant Species! MP is promised since years!
Brief History of the World! outstanding strategy game! only some small bugs not fixed, which can bring a MP game down.
Samurai! what a game! one of the first, one of the best! but pulled from appstore. such a shame :dizzy_face:
Alien Frontiers!! no MP and pulled from the appstore…
wait, how often did i have to write the dreaded words pulled from the appstore ? much too often!
so have we got a pattern here?

and here we are in the “wishful thinking” department at last:
thumbs up for Netrunner, Mage Knight and Castles of Burgundy!
i’d love to see: Caverna or Odin. or old games like Torres, Thurn and Taxis, Löwenherz/Domaine, Entdecker: New Horizons, El Grande, Tadsch Mahal, Maharaja, Goa, Brügge, Macao, async Acquire.
new games: Scythe! Voyages of Marco Polo, Mombasa, Great Western Trail, Russian Railroads.

but one thing is for sure: i’m superexcited about upcoming Terra Mystica!

2 Likes

I forgot about Terra Mystica - I’ll have to relearn that one… and Through the Ages, if it ever comes out…

Kingdom Builder does have online play, but I don’t generally participate in that, so no idea what type or how well it works (I have 115 completed games vs AI, though, which is a positively absurd number for me. Even games I like, I don’t tend to keep playing over and over like that. And it isn’t uncommon for me to play something once or twice and not go back to it even if I liked it. But who can blame me for beating Ghost Stories on my first try and never opening the app again, lol?)

2 Likes

we need to register on Brettspielwelt for online play.
but i’m not sure about async and games with friends.
i have faint memories of disappointment though.

I’d probably kill for Space Hulk: Death Angel but FFG is dropping Games Workshop.
All the Legendary games.
Mobile versions of Race / Roll for the galaxy.
Machi Koro.

1 Like

Supposedly, Marvel Legendary is supposed to be coming in 2017.

We’ll see if they make it.

Ah, yes! Or Valeria: Card Kingdoms.

“Through the Desert”… One of the first iOS boardgames as far as I remember. It is easy to learn and still nice to play and very nicely implemented. I simply enjoy games like this. It misses a key feature for me though… online-async. It would have made it perfect. They did a online-live version for it though. Careful, it’s probably abandoned, no update since 2013.

1 Like