Games Workshop bringing Mordheim to mobile

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2017/05/22/games-workshop-bringing-mordheim-to-mobile/

iOS, Android •

When I first saw the news about Mordheim: Warband Skirmish this morning over at Pocket Gamer, I was excited. Other than Talisman, has Games Workshop done a mobile title not set in the Warhammer universe? Then I read the article and saw words like Skaven and realized my Warhammer ignorance was showing. Mordheim is set firmly within the Warhammer universe, just not the 40K one.

Mordheim: Warband Skirmish is a digital adaptation of a tabletop miniatures game (who knew?) released way back when Clinton was president. It’s made a comeback in the last few years with a PC version that our Steam Hero, Alex, liked quite a bit.

The mobile version is from a completely different developer, Legendary, and has little to do with the PC version other than the setting. In other words, this isn’t a port…it was crafted for mobile from scratch. It was also crafted to be a multi-player experience, where you build a warband and challenge others online. In fact, the press materials don’t even mention solo play as an option.

In the game you control a small warband picking through the ruins of the City of Mordheim clashing with other scavenging warbands and collecting Wyrdstone - valuable shards from the comet that destroyed the city.

Multi player turn-based strategy right at your fingertips you’ll have the freedom to play how YOU want to play. Hide in the shadows and wait for the right moment to strike, get a vantage point and pick your targets off with ranged weapons, or bring the fight straight to your opponent in an up close and personal confrontation, the choice, is yours!

Three mercenary factions are available from release: Reiklanders, Middenheimers and Marienburgers each with different traits and play styles. Each represents one of the factions pitted against each other in a brutal civil war over who should sit in the throne as Emperor.

Marienburgers? Okay. If those three factions don’t trip your trigger, other factions will be released in the future via IAP: Skaven, Sisters of Sigmar, Witch Hunters, Undead, and more.

The game will be available for iOS Universal and Android this week, and will cost $6.

Hat tip: Pocket Gamer

https://youtu.be/GqqENns92NQ