Fire Emblem Heroes

Anyone else trying this? Its a FTP tactical strategy game. Seems ok from a strategy standpoint, but has the usual FTP hooks of stamina and special currency to buy heroes. Although it has been generous with giving out the premium currency so far. But that might just be because of the US launch weekend.

Not sure if I will play more than a few days, but my ID is 4645263449

Not sure what friend stuff is in the game.

I’m working on a review for it right now. My ID is 5186131100. You get little rewards passively from your friends, with more opportunities to get items with more friends.

I’m really glad we don’t do scores here, because I have no idea what I would give it.

Im loving how its got the free to play trappings, but they dont seem to have understood or acknowledged the psychological traps these features exist for.

Theres an energy bar, but its huge, levels dont cost much energy, and youve got loads of stamina potions. The energy bar is supposed to be punative, so you spend money to skip it.

Theres the classic trap of spending premium currency to randomly get a character. They are supposed to be ramming those characters down our throat, how we can gamble to win a 5*+ character. Instead they straight up tell us we only have a 3% chance per roll to get the best characters.

I was very pleased when I rolled two 5* characters, then afterwards they asked me to rate their game. Perhaps they do know how to work a free to play game after all.

Energy costs do ramp up once you get deeper into the campaign, especially in higher difficulty levels. But I will always just stop playing when it runs out, y’know? The pricing for orbs is insane, though, considering that you can’t even do a single summon with the lowest tier. You can do two summons with the second-lowest tier, but that’s $6. It’s not great, and I can see why people would want to re-roll until they get either their favorite character or just any 5-star one. (You’re really going to want at least one 5-star character for your team if you want to be competitive in Duel mode.) That’s kind of par for the course with these Japanese social RPGs, though.

Its an FTP game but its really not as annoying as the industry standard. Its also an amusing game but perhaps my lack of experience with the RPGs makes it seem lacklustre but I really don’t see it as an engrossing strategy title

I’ve been playing since launch. Lucked out an got Marth in my first 5 summons (a 5 star). Using the rest of my orbs for castle upgrades since I’ve got a decent line up.

ID: 4365598580 if you want to add me.

what do castle upgrades do?

I got Takumi on my first summon a 5 star archer who is pretty good. What is your full team?

I have Takumi, Tiki, Jagen and Felicia. I am not overwhelmed by Jagen or Tiki though.

Each castle upgrade increases earned XP rate by 20% and there’s a max of 5 so a max of +100% xp, with the most expensive one costing 10orbs.

I have Marth (5Red Sword), Cecilia (4Green Mage), Robin (3Blue Mage), Matthew (4Grey Rogue) but I swap out Robin for Gwendolyn (4*Blue Lancer) if I need high armor or 2 melee characters.

Generally trying to keep a character of each colour in the team (one red, blue, green and grey)

Matthew is arguably better than Marth in this case. His attack also does a non-reducible 4 poison damage after all the other hits, and throws a -4 to the victims defese AND a +4 to matthews defense, but only if he’s the attacker. Super useful to send him or Marth in first and line others up behind them.

I’m just getting into this game. ID is 1607135837. Sent a request to everyone who listed their ID in this thread.

1 Like

Hi all, I am THE BIGGEST FIRE EMBLEM NERD AROUND, WAS AND WILL EVER BE…cough

yes I bought a Gamecube and a Wii for the sole reason they had a Fire Emblem Game on it. I bought the 3DS for the Fire Emblem Game (just for it at least at the beginning) and despite my Mount-Olympus sized Backlog I completed every Fire Emblem Game in existence with English localization and some with less legal localizations as well…and despite my misgivings as an “oldschool hardcore “fan”” I am at least happy that the game franchise made a 180 after certain dead was looming over the fanchise a couple of years back…

So of course I had to go for this…And I am hngh trying to resist the hngh urges to be the exploitable whale…hngh it is tough! twitch

But I will drop some (reasonable?) amount of money on it to vote with my wallet later on.
Friend code: 4956628912

Back to Snotty’s post:

They had to post it…either now or later on. It was made illegal in China for games like this (or lootboxes in other games with F2P mechanics) to NOT state the exact chance any specific drop can happen…so basically an anti-exploitation-of-whales law, or transparent-informed-gambling-law…

They went full frontal and went transparent for everyone with Fire Emblem heroes…either to earn Kudos or circumvent the need to patch it later and the shitstorm they may get when people learn the fact that the rate for 5* is 3% (or 6% with 5* Focus Heroes). I at least welcome this move for transparency.

1 Like

On a side note: You can have 50 friends in your Firend List. Trying to max things out benefits you greatly here, as some random friend characters visit your base “home/castle” screen (bottom center) and if you interact with it you get some free feather…and feathers are the third most scarce ressource in the game (after Orbs or Dueling sords (via duelling crest)).
While it only costs you a couple hundred feathers to upgrade a 2* to a 3* it costs 2.000 feathers from 3* to 4* and 20.000 feathers from 4* star to 5*.

Which is a lot but again helps with the bad luck I had with my heore draws…lots of interesting 4*, 2 decent 5* and some totaly bleh 5*. At least now I can plan on upgrading one or two good 4* to 5* somewhere in the future.

Also interact with every character in your homescreen with floating hearts over their heads…they give you free stuff.

And yes ditch your talking story characters as soon as possible (Anna and the royal Duo) the damage even a crappy 3* can make in comparison to your 1* and 2* characters is massive.

Heroes need to be level 20 in order to raise their * level?

Yep. Not 100% certain, but I think every 1* character can go up to 5*, and you can go well over level 20 if you’re already at 5* or if you don’t want to reset your character back to Lvl 1 and the next star up.

Jep lvl 20 it is.

they will be reset to lvl 1 in this process but with improved base stats.

May I post this site here for reference: Fire Emblem Heroes Wiki

I am a fan of wiki style help/source guides etc. The two main fire emblem wikis have their own assortment of useful tips but I like the dedicated approach to FE:H here better. Cleaner Approach and less confusing for new-timers…the other wikis are great but not initial as helpful for new “only in for Heroes” people
Also useful list of skills the heroes have (and at which specific star level they can be unlocked) as well as a Tier List (community ranked the heroes for their usefullness…I only partially agree with it but that is just me being fanboygasming over some of my favourite FE Heroes from past games.

Technically you can rise each 1* to 5* but I wouldn’t do that aside from special one timers (like the story heroes you start out with)
Reason: it defeats somewhat the way of making money for them…so you have to seriously grind out some feathers for this.
Quests, promotions and Dailies surely help for this but better start at 3* (or better 4*) before commiting for the long run.

Also you can combine Heroes (same Name) or upgrade them (called unlocking potential). Combining destroys one version (but transfers accumulated SP) so be wary.
I wouldn’t bother at “haveing fun and just in for the story-romp” with this mechanics but only when dedicating to the game in full.

Same as it was with any Disgaea Game…beat the game having fun just by largely ignoring all the million stats and items…only when going for the Hard/Lunatic/extra-optional stuff go into the grind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Private_Prinny I’d be happy to have some bleh 5*–in three summons so far, I’ve pulled eight 4* and seven 3*. The most recent one was the worst, with only a single 4* (Arthur) I haven’t tried yet.

I’m happy with Corrin (blue beast), Hana (red sword) and Niles (grey archer). The other 4* either have some serious weaknesses or I just haven’t used them enough yet. My best green troop is Cherche, who gets wiped out really quickly if my opponent has both red troops and an archer.

As far as keeping the friend lists up: are you just throwing random friend invites at everyone you duel with? I’ve got the 4 people who posted IDs in here + @robthomasson, who sent me an invite …

@Friend requests
I thrown some random ones after pvp matches but stopped to not max out on randoms to give PT /SP peeps the chance to link.
I only have 15 or so at the moment as about 20 friend requests are pending…So I may delete them later on. I have to add the ones in this list as well aside from you and rob, who actually friended me first.

@Cherche.
I have her as 4* and aside from PvP she is kicking err…butts while chewing bubblegum…as a second tier character she is nice.

But don’t forget I am totally biased since I prefer characters I like from the “real” FEs and may gloss over some faults.
I also have to question my preference for Blitzkrieg characters. In the “real” ones I went Flyer heavy, when possible and filled as much slots with cavalry as possible. This setup has its weaknesses (archers, mages) but did fine (especially in the last 2 games with the much broader job system and more diversified flyer pool)

Needless to say I did try the same here in FE:Heroes and got stomped. Not much room to maneuver around archers… The only one from my initial planned fast-glascannon-brigade I can use right now is Lyn…which is my best 5* (and also the one I aimed/gambled for). Too bad I have so many good Swordcharacters in 4* or 5*… I myself always preferred Spears (they could also use ranged javelins in the “real FEs” but didn’t get Cordelia or any decent other one yet. If I get Cordelia in whatever rating I plan to raise her to 5 anyways…

@Bleh 5 Stars…
I got Raven, who is an Axewielder and nothing much to write home about…

@Friends:
Added requests for Halfvoid, Kennfusion and TannerHendrickson
(Display Name: Dai Shi…as the damn System didn’t allow for my usual handle as it has to many letters :disappointed_relieved:)

A site which I never knew existed has a rather good coverage of all the game mechanics, tips & tricks, tier lists, orbs feathers etc.

Really impressed with this site…never heard from it before but good stuff!

Rankedboost for FE:Heroes

2 Likes

That tier list is interesting. It confirms what I thought–most heroes I have are mediocre at best. One “A” (Corrin), one “B” (Draug), and a whole bunch of “C”-level meh-ness. I’m not struggling so far, but I do wish I had a little more to work with.

One little side note…I have now seen 4 tier lists on 4 different sites…while nearly everyone lists “Hector” and “Takumi” as SS or “Best in slot” not veryone else agrees on the 1.5, 2nd and 3rd tiers.

Some rate Tiki as S others as B, some rate the Spear/Dancer Lady from the lake as S others as B…so don’t loose heart I myself use 2 “B” characters occasionally on my B team and I still like the results I am getting from them. Vastly other playstyle tough.

Edit:
Think back what many have said about the class your Avatar is representing. The “Meh” - Red Mage, Jack of all trades and master of none. And despite that its my favourite FF class and I have utilized it to great sucess in every FF game I had the chance to play it. If I ever play FF XI or XIV I would focus down the red mage for sure.

Same here. Not having an SS character doesn’t spell “Doom” right from the start…at least in my book.

Hey, the Red Mage is AWESOME. I don’t care what everyone else says.

Point taken, though. While it would be nice to have “better” heroes, I’m doing just fine and enjoying the ones I have.