Film; or The Silver Screen

They should have gone back to the source material and turned back it into a horror movie where the heroes are trapped inside with camouflage dinosaurs outside a la The Lost World (book).

1 Like

Yes. I disliked this movie enough to express it on multiple platforms.

2 Likes

On the plus side, Iā€™ve now heard of Velocipastor. It may have the best description on IMDbā€¦

2 Likes

Videodrome.

War is being fought for the minds of North America via screens. Everyone will have a screen name to make the screen resonate. Your reality is already half video hallucination. The screen is the retina of your mindā€™s eye. Have you been hallucinating lately? You should be.

Death to Videodrome. Long live the new flesh.

I speak of Roadhouse often, and claim it as the best bad movie of all time.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Park-chan Wook.

Brilliant Korean director with a rather unique vision for mixing violence with peculiar sexual situations. Be warned, these films are not for viewing with your significant other unless youā€™ve seen at least one and know what youā€™re getting into.

I started with the AMC mini-series Little Drummer Girl, which was decent.

The Vengeance Trilogy is the top of the list. Oldboy is the best of the three. Lady Vengeance has a cool alternate version where the film gradually shifts from full color at the beginning to black and white at the end. Spike Lee remade Oldboy about 5 years ago with Josh Brolin, Samuel L Jackson, and Elizabeth Olsen, but I much prefer the original. (Yes, thatā€™s Thanos, Nick Fury, and the Scarlet Witch in A Spike Lee Joint!)

The Handmaiden is a bit more recent. It has several unexpected plot twists in a story told from several points of view. Even though itā€™s an Amazon Original, the dialog is in Korean and Japanese (and the subtitles are colored to indicate which language was spoken).

Stoker is his only other film Iā€™ve seen that is in English besides Little Drummer Girl. Nicole Kidman gives a strong performance.

Also, I highly recommend justwatch.com. It tracks all of the streaming services, which makes it easy to find where you view a movie, and whether it is ā€œfree with adsā€, from a service that ā€œrequires a subscriptionā€, or if you have to pay for individual rental (and the best prices for those rentals).

4 Likes

I canā€™t say Iā€™m interested in any of that except Little Drummer Girl, but that because itā€™s a Le Carre story. You called it ā€œdecent.ā€ Good enough to give a go?

Oldboy and Stoker are incredible. His other films are merely excellent.

Just got back from the PokĆ©mon movie with my kids. It was surprisinglyā€¦decent. The story went off the rails a bit, but that really didnā€™t matter - the PokĆ©mon were just awesome! I didnā€™t care a ton for the Ryan Reynolds pikachu, but Iā€™m sure heā€™s a hit for many. The movie did have a couple intense moments for the kids.

My wife took my 8 year-old last night. He didnā€™t want to go saying that he didnā€™t like Pokemon anymore, but since his return he wonā€™t stop talking pokemon and begging his brothers to get their old cards out and play with him again. So, I guess it worked.

Letā€™s see if you still feel the same way when heā€™s begging you to take him to the store to buy more cardsā€¦

3 Likes

I liked it, but not as well as any of Parkā€™s previous work. It seemed to stretch the story a bit to fill 6 hours when all of the other films delivered more in 2 hours. Michael Shannon keeps getting better every time I see him in something, and Florence Pugh does a good job in her role. If you like Le Carre, it is probably worth your time.

They gave him 4 packs at the movie theater last night, so Iā€™m hoping that tides him over until the excitement abates.

1 Like

The first one is always free.

5 Likes

Set him up with a PokƩmon TCG online account. You can get a ton of free packs in game.

Wine Country, on Netflix.

I could go on a lengthy diatribe about this affront to comedy movies everywhere, but itā€™s not even worth my time to do that. Suffice it to say that even my wife disliked this driveling attempt at resurrecting careers couched as a senior chick flick.

5 Likes

Aladdin. I quite enjoyed it even though it was more or less a re-skin, but thatā€™s exactly what I expected. Will Smith wasnā€™t bad as Genie but there isnā€™t a soul past or present that could replace Robin Williams. Obviously, we enjoyed this as a family; I canā€™t say I would have seen it on my ownā€¦

Only my favorite movie of all timeā€¦

1 Like