Film; or The Silver Screen

Finally saw The Endless. I actually do not agree with @OhBollox in any way that it was up there with Primer (which is one of the best indie films ever made, in my opinion), but it was well scripted and well acted. The chunk with Mike and Chris was pretty damned funny. Worth watching once, maybe twice, but Primer really is forever.

Apostle, or, The Wicker Dan. A man goes after his kidnapped sister, who is being held by a cult on an island. The most unbelievable thing about it is that a bunch of suspicious cultists can’t pick Dan Stevens glowering at them with an implacably furious mien out of a line up. It really piles on the inconsistencies in the latter half, but has a strong eye for detail and continuity, which is odd but just different aspects of the production, I suppose. Unashamedly gory and dirty. The directing from Evans is very versatile in a staid genre not known for versatile camerawork. Quite a change of pace from the Raids.

Free Solo. The most impressive individual athletic feat I have ever seen. Alex Honnold is a rock climber, specifically a free soloist, who climbs rock faces without rope or climbing gear. Free Solo documents his training and journey to free solo El Capitan in Yosemite, probably the most dangerous mountain in the world to climb. I was amazed at the photography and some of the awe-inspiring shots of his ascent up the rock face. Stories of Alex Honnold’s friends and other free soloists who have died over the years puts into perspective the danger, skill, and sheer insanity it takes to attempt a feat like this.

Overlord. Perhaps it’s just because I’m balls-deep in Sniper Elite 4 and my Nazi-hunting has got me more bloodthirsty than the first time I performed oral sex on a lady when she had her menses, but I really enjoyed this film. The structure and just about every plot beat is predictable, and I must point out that during WWII, the US forces were segregated, but that aside, just about every aspect of the film is carried out with admirable style. The music sometimes slips into unintentional parody, but it is otherwise an excellent bacing to everything that happens. Most of the film is a little lightweight, you get the feeling the small scale is cramping many a style on the production team, but what it has, it flaunts. Maximum production value is extracted by some solid acting, a good mixture of practical and CGI effects, and excellent cinematography.

Edit: couldn’t carry out @TannerHendrickson’s idea of taking a thermos of something tasty with me because I couldn’t find it. Next time!

Paddington. A joyously feel-good film, to the extent that I began to feel a bit annoyed by it. Fairly well made, but I don’t really have it in me to be mean about a family film with a CGI bear. Even I have my limits.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Kicking off with a violent musical comedy opening short, I wondered just what the fuck the Coens were doing, but each story manages to hold on to the central thread while simultaneously pulling it in very different directions. I am impressed. Gleeful, ridiculous, miserable, tragic.

One problem I had with Buster Scruggs was that The Homesman made one of the segments seem unnecessary and inadequate. It was even a good segment, if slightly repetitive, but it lacked the utterly searing impact The Homesman had.

Contrariwise, I don’t know that I could say I enjoyed The Homesman. Admire, absolutely.

I’ve not seen it yet but now I have to watch it.

Upon further reflection, I think I undersold the segment that disappointed me. I’ve encountered a different interpretation, and like it a lot.

Mostly, though, I’m reminded that this is a movie I’ve thought about a lot more than most. That’s a gift.

The ballad of Buster Scruggs has stuck with me for days. Up front I’ll say I’m a coen brothers fan, so I was expecting a treat. Obviously the gal who got rattled cut the deepest, but I’ve come to appreciate each story as a smorgasbord of emotion when the entire film is considered as a whole.

Venom. There is a good film here, stuck inside the dying body of a bad film. It’s half action-comedy, and half generic Marvel film. Hardy does an admirable job as Brock, he gives his all and makes moments of instability, sickness, cowardice stand out. Meanwhile Riz Ahmed is so much better than his role here as Minority Elon Musk, it’s a waste of a talented actor in something better suited to a puddle or cardboard cutout.

Where the film is at its best is the unlikely pair of Brock and Venom arguing with each other, and their different attitudes and approaches to situations. This could have been, and has the elements of, a really solid buddy comedy, but it’s apparent the writers don’t know how to do it, or Marvel didn’t want it done. Instead you have a few generic action sequences and fight scenes, the violence is toned down to the point it would have been better to leave out Venom eating people at all, and there’s little else here. Missed opportunity.

I enjoyed Venom, but I can’t disagree with anything you say.

I would have loved a lot more interaction between Eddie and Venom.

I give Ralph Breaks the Internet two thumbs up, especially if you enjoyed the first one this one is a must see. :sunglasses:

I enjoyed how they handled the representation of the Internet, no doubt I missed some stuff that was in there. I don’t know if some of it will stand the test of time, but I enjoyed it now. I also got an unexpected kick out of how they handled the Disney princesses updated for today’s sensibilities. :grin:

For folks who go, there is a mid-credits scene, then another one at the very end of the credits.