Exodus: Proxima Centauri set for a Friday reentry

Originally published at: http://statelyplay.com/2018/08/14/exodus-proxima-centauri-set-for-a-friday-reentry/

PC/Mac (Friday), iOS/Android (later this year) •

Okay, so I had this story late Sunday night assuming I would post it yesterday only to suddenly realize that working a full time job really sucks when it comes to making time for a blog. I should clarify, it’s not the job that sucks, it’s the fact that I’m actually working on something that I find very interesting and, incredibly, am having a hard time pulling myself away from. I’m learning Python at work now and I’ve gotten to the point where I can actually write scripts that do things and it’s fairly mesmerizing. It’s been four years since I’ve coded with an end goal in mind (TIS-100P doesn’t count) and I’m kind of digging it.

Anyway, I couldn’t stay away from the Stately Players [I thought we had stopped doing this -ed.] for long, which brings us to the board game port of the week, Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

Exodus: Proxima Centauri is being developed by Offworld Games who you might remember as the folks who made a fun version of The Confrontation sans Tolkien. This time they didn’t have to argue with anyone’s grandchildren about licensing and Exodus: Proxima Centauri is a direct port of what you’d find in the box from NSKN Games.

Due to my constrained gaming time, this is becoming a common refrain: I haven’t played Exodus: Proxima Centauri on the tabletop. As such, I’m blurbing the hell out of it:

Fight for dominance in the epic, empire-building game of Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

Exodus: Proxima Centauri is a 4X board game by NSKN games, featuring an original universe where players eXplore new planets using ships and technologies, eXpand their empires via research and colonization, eXploit their opponents tactically and politically, and eXterminate anyone who stands in your way. Each decision has lasting effects on game play, making every match unique and challenging.

Offworld Games has taken this classic title and adapted it for all channels of digital game play. Every piece of the game has been formed into a seamless and intuitive design, easy to use and learn for both desktop and mobile players. We aim to not only provide the awesome board game experience of Exodus: Proxima Centauri, but to expand upon it in ways only the digital medium allows. We want playing Exodus to feel immersive, like players are commanding from the bridge of their capital ships or debating in the High Council chambers, with access to all the tools they’ll needs to make informed decisions while subverting their opponents.

The game features original artwork and scenery, boasting fully-rendered ships and interiors with beautiful spacescapes for an immersive player experience. Customizable skins and characters allow players to show off their accomplishments throughout the game and highlight their skills as fleet admirals to politicians.

I’m all for any 4X board game on my iPad, so sign me up. Unfortunately, when it releases this Friday it will only be available for PC/Mac on Steam. The iOS and Android ports are coming, but won’t go live until later this year. We do know, however, that the game has AI for solo play as well as asynchronous multiplayer that’s fully cross-platform. We also know it will cost $15 when Steam opens the gates. Steam link below, but it won’t get you anything until Friday. https://youtu.be/I-28_upn1ow

Only a couple years late! I hope that means the end result is highly polished…

I don’t know much about the game, but over at the Dice Tower they quite enjoy it. Twilight Imperium is generally highly regarded over there and Eclipse as planned as a Euro game that claims to be a 4x space game. Exodus is lauded as a true short-TI3.

I picked it up, no experience with the tabletop game, but jonesing for some quiet Async multi. Very clean, very tidy.

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard of this, even as a board game. Hope there will be a review!

I’m working on it. I haven’t played it before, either, so it might not be up until next week so I have enough time to figure out what the hell is going on.

I also have tried it and I like it so far. Anyone up for a multiplayer?