Evolution coming to Switch

Originally published at: https://statelyplay.com/2019/09/10/evolution-coming-to-switch/

• iOS, Android, PC/Mac, Switch

If you’re starting to feel that all the cool news is coming from the direction of Nintendo’s Little Console That Could, you wouldn’t be wrong. It seems that all the cool releases are landing on Switch with other mobile being an afterthought. For example, Dead Cells has been on Switch forever but just arrived on iOS a couple of weeks ago. Divinity: Original Sin 2 arrived on Switch last week and we’ll never see anything like that on our touchscreens.

Thus, it’s good to hear about a game that was originally on iOS head the other way and come to Switch. Unless you skipped the title, you’re aware I’m talking about everyone’s favorite Darwin simulator, Evolution.

Evolution for Switch will be going live in early 2020 so you have some time before you need to check the EShop. It will have all the polish and play modes that we currently have including online and pass-and-play multiplayer. What we’re not sure about is if it will have asynchronous play by then. We know that North Star is working on both a Challenge Mode and async, but we don’t know if that will go live before or after the Switch version arrives.

If you haven’t played Evolution, you are basically god putting together creatures from a myriad of traits. Your goal is to find the right combos so your critters can eat the most food and survive. You can even turn predator and directly wipe out your neighbors if you’re a big jerk.

The game itself is a lot of fun and the app is polished to a fine sheen with the aforementioned issue of no async. I know the Stately Players [again with that? Ugh. -ed.] aren’t too interested in a board game lacking asynchronous play, but we do know it’s coming. Hopefully, we can have an Evolution async tournament when the Switch version arrives. If you’ve been waiting to pick it up, now might be the time. To coincide with the Switch announcement they’ve knocked 40% off the price on all platforms.

3 Likes

Is asynchronous play possible in Switch? I’ve never played a game that would be able to make use of it.

Istanbul on Switch has asynchronous play.

I haven’t tried it, but it’s mentioned in the app description page.